318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 724 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,197 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
DGWGuitars

Vehicles
Default Steering Wheel Squeak Fix

Some time ago I posted a message regarding any fixes known for a squeek in the steering. This AM I ran across a thread in Bimmerforums that addresses the problem:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=245961

Haven't tried it yet, but will soon.
DGWGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

good find. thanks for posting.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Tried the first fix (lubricating the lower bearing) to no avail - still squeeks. It's a bear to get to, and I didn't have small diameter straws that were recommended, so I may not have gotten enough lubricant up the column. I'll go in search of smaller straws before going on to step two, which involves removal of the steering wheel.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
madfronter

Ive been looking for more information regarding the squeaky steering wheel. I hope the information from the link helps.
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:37 AM   #5
CirrusSR22

I just did this a week ago and it worked great! I sprayed silicone spray/lubricant on the upper bearing set.

To get it in there, I pulled the sheathing off a wire, and slid that over the end of the spray can tube. The resulting nozzle was about 12" long. It's hard to describe where I sprayed, so I'll try to get a pics up eventually.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22
I just did this a week ago and it worked great! I sprayed silicone spray/lubricant on the upper bearing set.

To get it in there, I pulled the sheathing off a wire, and slid that over the end of the spray can tube. The resulting nozzle was about 12" long. It's hard to describe where I sprayed, so I'll try to get a pics up eventually.
What gauge wire? I've been holding off on trying to lube the uppper bearing mainly because I don't relish the thought of pulling the wheel. My guess is that you stuck the wire sheathing in the crack between the wheel and the housing around the steering column. A pic or two on how you did it would be nice, though.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:49 AM   #7
CirrusSR22

Sorry, not sure on the gauge. It ended up fitting snugly over the red spray tube on the spray can. So that was the aprroximate size

The bearing I sprayed was in the engine compartment. If you look straight down, on the passenger side of the brake booster, you will see the steering shaft u-joint. The bearing is about six inches closer to the firewall than that u-joint. You can't look straight down and see the bearing, so you need to almost look from the front bumper to find it. I believe it's sort of hidden behind/under the brake booster.

There is an obvious gap in the bearing set, and that's where I concentrated the spray.

Boy do I need a digital camera!
Old 12-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22
Sorry, not sure on the gauge. It ended up fitting snugly over the red spray tube on the spray can. So that was the aprroximate size

The bearing I sprayed was in the engine compartment. If you look straight down, on the passenger side of the brake booster, you will see the steering shaft u-joint. The bearing is about six inches closer to the firewall than that u-joint. You can't look straight down and see the bearing, so you need to almost look from the front bumper to find it. I believe it's sort of hidden behind/under the brake booster.

There is an obvious gap in the bearing set, and that's where I concentrated the spray.

Boy do I need a digital camera!
Thanks. I'll rummage around my stash of wire to see if anything fits the tube. So I gather from what you found, the bearing isn't in the column tube, which is what the directions from the other guy seemed to say. I've got some time between Christmas & New Years to work on it - it'd be nice to be able to get rid of the squeek.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:19 AM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

can you see the place where you need to lube in this pic?

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showpho...ze=big&cat=565
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 12-28-2005, 10:25 PM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

bump

Old 01-01-2006, 02:50 AM   #11
CirrusSR22

I think this is the gap where I sprayed, it's a completely different angle, so it's hard to tell. I've got the next few days off, so I'll try to take a topside pic.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #12
CirrusSR22

I sprayed in the gap where the red arrow is. The maglite beam is pointed to the area.

--

--

--
Old 01-03-2006, 01:41 AM   #13
cali-ti
aka Stabby

awesome! i sure looks like we have pics of the area from both above and below. i love your "fly in" method cirrus!

Old 01-03-2006, 01:47 AM   #14
AlaskaBlue

Thanks for posting the pics up. I am going to give it a whirl this next week too.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
fieldhb

Default Just did this, works great!

I got some Tri-flow, o hose that fits over the straw, and a small pipe to put it in to make it a straight shot through to the target.
I took the top of the air cleaner out to get a line to it.
My car steers much easier now.