318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
Yesterday 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 1,848 Views
E30 trailing arms
Yesterday 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
Yesterday 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 195 Views
OMG!OMG!
Yesterday 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Yesterday 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 375 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,195 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
sawntee

Default replacing steering wheel

hey guys, i was hoping if someone could tell me how to replace a steering wheel. i recently got this 98 ti, and it super clean. but its got this ****ed up steering wheel. i was interested in the 3 spokes. =))
sawntee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
macilona

Vehicles

hello---your best bet is to get a bentley service manual, which has thorough directions to do this. there are likely directions on the pelican parts website, or other diy forums. the procedure is relatively simple and the first step is to disconnect the battery for 15-20 minutes, before disconnecting any parts. then you drop the plastic cover panel under the steering column, and you will find two snap connectors for the horn and airbag, which have squeeze points that enable you to separate them. the wheel itself is removed by using a t-30 torx tool (get a set at a hardware store--similar to small hex/allen wrenches) to loosen two bolts on the back of the steering wheel behind the airbag. you may need to turn the wheel initially to loosen these bolts because the turn signal and wiper stalks are in the way--it is a challenge to get the tool inserted properly and the bolts can be pretty tight. this will allow the airbag to be lifted off the steering wheel assembly, and you will find two push on plugs for the airbag and horn, that get removed so you can set the airbag aside. then straighten the wheel so you can properly line up the replacement wheel. use a 16mm socket to remove the center bolt, which may take some effort with a breaker bar, and then pull the wheel off. you will note a white plastic pin at the 10 o'clock position on the column hub, which must fit a small opening on the back of the replacement wheel--in some cases the wheel wont have that opening in the right position, and then you will have to improvise--i dont know how. the new wheel can then be pushed back on the hub splines, but make sure it is in the same alignment as the old wheel removed. when back in place, just reverse the procedure--tighten the center bolt, put the connections back on the airbag, and tighten the torx screws--right side first, then left. again, once the wheel is firmly on the column, you can rotate it to get better access to the torx screws, which can be frustrating to tighten. then connect the two plastic plugs under the steering column, and reattach the cover panel. i got a three spoke wheel on ebay---from a seller in atlanta who has a steady supply---it is referred to as "bmw e36 m3 euro". it fit perfectly as described above. he offers a variety of prices, depending on the quality of the used wheel, and mine was in great condition. good luck
macilona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
macilona

Vehicles

couple of additional comments----my car is a 96 318ti, and the steering wheel described above does have an airbag. some on ebay do not have them, so you need to be aware as you decide. finally, only after all connectors are reattached, do you then reconnect the battery---if it is connected prior, you will trip an airbag system default that will have to be reset by a dealer.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by macilona View Post
hello---your best bet is to get a bentley service manual, which has thorough directions to do this. there are likely directions on the pelican parts website, or other diy forums. the procedure is relatively simple and the first step is to disconnect the battery for 15-20 minutes, before disconnecting any parts. then you drop the plastic cover panel under the steering column, and you will find two snap connectors for the horn and airbag, which have squeeze points that enable you to separate them. the wheel itself is removed by using a t-30 torx tool (get a set at a hardware store--similar to small hex/allen wrenches) to loosen two bolts on the back of the steering wheel behind the airbag. you may need to turn the wheel initially to loosen these bolts because the turn signal and wiper stalks are in the way--it is a challenge to get the tool inserted properly and the bolts can be pretty tight. this will allow the airbag to be lifted off the steering wheel assembly, and you will find two push on plugs for the airbag and horn, that get removed so you can set the airbag aside. then straighten the wheel so you can properly line up the replacement wheel. use a 16mm socket to remove the center bolt, which may take some effort with a breaker bar, and then pull the wheel off. you will note a white plastic pin at the 10 o'clock position on the column hub, which must fit a small opening on the back of the replacement wheel--in some cases the wheel wont have that opening in the right position, and then you will have to improvise--i dont know how. the new wheel can then be pushed back on the hub splines, but make sure it is in the same alignment as the old wheel removed. when back in place, just reverse the procedure--tighten the center bolt, put the connections back on the airbag, and tighten the torx screws--right side first, then left. again, once the wheel is firmly on the column, you can rotate it to get better access to the torx screws, which can be frustrating to tighten. then connect the two plastic plugs under the steering column, and reattach the cover panel. i got a three spoke wheel on ebay---from a seller in atlanta who has a steady supply---it is referred to as "bmw e36 m3 euro". it fit perfectly as described above. he offers a variety of prices, depending on the quality of the used wheel, and mine was in great condition. good luck
I bought a wheel from the same guy and it was a plug and play installation, although I had my mechanic do it - it was worth the $125.
DGWGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:54 AM   #5
713bmw318ti

Vehicles

If I buy an e36 m3 euro wheel with airbag and no slip ring I can use the stock slip ring that comes off the Ti right.
713bmw318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:13 AM   #6
macilona

Vehicles

i did not have to do anything with a "slip ring" on my installation of that steering wheel. a us m3 wheel has a different back piece, with a slip ring or clock spring, but the euro model was exactly the same as the wheel that i took off---so it was just a matter of replacing it, and using the identical electrical plug connections for the horn and airbag. the ebay seller from atlanta shows a back view of the wheels he sells, which you can confirm are the same as the ti wheel.