318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Yesterday 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Yesterday 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 245 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 779 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
motoracer47

Default introducing myself

The PM I got from registration said to use the lounge, but this forum seems to be for introductions, soo..... My name is Brad, just picked up my first TI! I've been into/wrenching on cars since I was a kid. Ive been (and still am) a Toyota guy, I've had multiple MR2's, a 4runner (that im currently rebuilding the engine on) a Highlander (my current daily driver) sportbikes, and I've raced karts several years ago. Most of my engine building experience is with 2-strokes, but I'm doing pretty well with my conversion to 4-stroke engine building. The car: 1995 TI, got it for $850, needs front end bodywork, but the frame is straight, and its the cheapest one I've been able to find near me for about a year now. Nothing to special about it at this time, its the pacific blue color(not the exact color name), tan interior, Auto....it will all change though. I've been scoping this site for years, probably should have registered a long time ago, but guess I wanted to wait until I actually owned a TI. I've got huge plans for this car, but for now, the goal is to get it fixed up and use it as a supplement car to the Highlander. Eventually, engine, transmission, front and rear suspension, and interior will all be swapped from other models. The engine I already have...ill give ya a hint, its from an E46. Ill throw up some pics a bit later, but just wanted to introduce myself.
motoracer47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
KINGAMR

Welcome aboard Brad,S54??
KINGAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
motoracer47

thanks!
hmm..S54...maybe.. jk, yea, picked up a used S54 off ebay pretty cheap...needs to be rebuilt, but that was all part of the plan anyways. From my search on bimmerforums and a few other sites, I cannot find where someone has rebuilt an S54 and documented it, so I guess Ill be the first. Thats the first step, complete S54 teardown and rebuild. I *think* I'll be the first to put an S54 in a compact, but not sure. Not too concerned with being the first, just want to do it correctly. Which means full factory functionality--E46 electrical swap. When the time comes, the car will be stripped to the shell, possibly seam welding some of the chassis, probably full E46 electrical conversion, SMGII tranny, m coupe/roadster rear end, MZ3 interior, E36 M3 front bodywork, and im gonna try to convert the front suspension to E46 M3. There is one other thing, kinda special, Im going to attempt with the engine, but thats going to remain a secret for now. I know its never been done, so I'm going to be the guiney pig! Lots and Lots of work, but I feel I can pull it off, its just going to take time and money! Until this happens, its all just a claim, but Im already commited with the engine and chassis purchase, Ive been planning this for awhile..so it will eventually happen! Once I sell the 4runner, development will pick up.

btw, great site everyone! Ive been using this site to get together a list of all the basic maintenane things im going to do to it for the interim, and this forum has already been very helpfull with that.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
tiFreak

Vehicles

sounds like an awesome swap, I'd stick with E36 front suspension parts though, I don't think the S54 is that much heavier than the S52
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #5
motoracer47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
sounds like an awesome swap, I'd stick with E36 front suspension parts though, I don't think the S54 is that much heavier than the S52
Hi

Its not, sorry, should have clarified. I would prefer to switch to the E46 suspension because it is lighter. The aluminum control arms it has should be about 60% of the weight of the steel E36 control arms. And its all unsprung weight, and we know what that means. The reason I say I probably will, is that in not sure the geometry is the same. Ive seen both side by side in person, and they looked pretty close, but gotta measure everything to be sure. (im referring to the distances between the inner and outer ball joints, and the rear attachment point that fits into the round bushing thingy that mounts to the chassis, and the strut mount bolts on the hubs) if those are identical, then it should directly swap in. I gotta replace the control arms anyway, so if its possible, might as well go with the E46 units(and hubs). And, this will help with the electrical swap, as the E46 speed sensor is in the driver front wheel(hub), compared to the diff on E36. One of the obstacles of the S54 wiring will be handled right there.

I have a feeling that the control arms and hubs of the E46 will work, but the struts may have to be modified to make it work properly. (ie, the E46 strut used in this setup in a E36 chassis causes ride height to increase..not saying that it will, but I am anticipating something like that) However, I do think this might make the front track wider, yet another obsticale.

Last edited by motoracer47; 08-18-2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: because I never proof read first...doh!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
motoracer47

Finally found the usb cable for my digicam. Its dirty and beat up, but remember, I got it cheap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	TI-1.jpg Views:	190 Size:	19.2 KB ID:	8441   Click image for larger version Name:	TI-2.jpg Views:	205 Size:	19.9 KB ID:	8442   Click image for larger version Name:	TI-3.jpg Views:	211 Size:	19.6 KB ID:	8443  

Click image for larger version Name:	S54-1.jpg Views:	221 Size:	20.7 KB ID:	8444  
Old 08-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
motoracer47

2 more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	S54-2.jpg Views:	214 Size:	20.9 KB ID:	8445   Click image for larger version Name:	S54-3.jpg Views:	199 Size:	20.4 KB ID:	8446  
Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
spidertri

Vehicles

Sick. Talk about a sleeper, you should leave the body dinged up and stick the S54 in it. Hahaha, people won't know what hit them.

Also, in case you didn't know, the E30 M3 (I think) had aluminum control arms that can be used on the E36. I'm pretty sure they bolt right up. That doesn't really help you with wanting to stick in E46 stuff though.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
motoracer47

Lol, yea, maybe even take out the passenger side back window, put a garbage bag there!!!

about the control arms:
Actually, I might go with those. I also found out that the aluminum e46 control arms I viewed in person were really E36 aluminum control arms (I found a pair on ebay that are aluminum, they say they are for an e36 m3, and look like the ones ive seen, I wonder if those are the same as the e30?) Ive found what a real (to me) e46 aluminum control arm looks like, and man I want it!! partially for bling I guess because it looks so pretty, but wow that thing looks strong for its weight!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
KINGAMR

I would highly suggest that you read up Jim's swap book. It has so much info that can help you make decisions & plan correctly. Also on bf.c there was an E30 M3 swap thread about fully having a functional s54 in there & youtube has a video of a compact with an s54(sry to bring you down for not being the first but may be you can learn from them!)
s54 compact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlc5u...om=PL&index=52
s54 turbo e30(not one from bf.c): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3WEg...rom=PL&index=2
Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
motoracer47

Ive seen the E30 one, didnt know about the compact. Oh well, I wasnt too concerned with being the first, there are a few other things im going to do that probably will be

Might as well tell you guys what im trying to do, as you have started to notice, I tend to ramble, be prepared!!

This car is being done for a couple of reasons.

1 I really like TIs, even though it kinda wont be a TI when im done

2 Ive always wanted to do a project car from the ground up: time, money, and a space to do it has finally come together (for the most part)

3 The hot thing is the LSX swap, and while im all about any engine in any car, im a huge fan of the S54 (and M engines in general) and I believe (and honestly feel I can statistically prove) Its the best performance engine ever mass produced(popping rod #3 or 4 not withstanding). Seems most people in the modding world (all brands) usually just see more horsepower as the way to achieve speed. Racing has taught us (particularly open wheel) that its more about weight reduction and aero-dynamics. I want to prove a point with this car.

My goal is, in a way, very simple yet very tough. I want to build a BMW using *mainly* BMW components that is FULLY street and emissions legal, naturally aspirated, with the best power to weight ratio of any BMW out there, and most other cars. I plan to do that with this simple formula:
333-350HP--->2300-2500lbs. Yea, the weight is going to be hard to reach, but ive got a few tricks up my sleeve for that.

few examples:
my goal--6.57-7.51 pounds per horsepower (pph)
E46 M3 333HP--10.255! (ouch)
Ferrari F430 483HP--6.62---168-225K!!!
corvette C5 w/345HP LS1---9.57 pph
corvette C5-Z06 w/405HP LS6---8.12 pph
corvette C6-Z07 w/505HP LS7---6.20 pph a little over 100K!!
(you can also do the math to get horsepower per pound, but in the end its the same thing)

If I can achieve it, and the car can get the power down (one of the tricks), I should be in supercar territory. And with proper suspension and braking upgrades(read completely different, though some bmw components), I will always have the advantage of the light weight when it comes to cornering and braking performance(I cant match the ceremic brakes of the F430 and Z07). I guess the real ultimate goal is one of the fastest street legal, full interior cars on a road coarse race track. Something will have to be done with chassis stiffness and the rear suspension to reach that. (swing arm isnt going to cut it)

Now the really crazy part....my budget is 6-7K!! Lol, I know, it sounds crazy, but I will be doing all/most the work myself (using a machine shop for some stuff) and im currently under budget. My budget was $2500 for car and engine, right now im at $1875! The transmission and entire wire harness are projected to be the most expensive. Engine is going to be rebuilt with stock parts (upgraded bearings of course) and the exhaust/headers will also be all stock. By going the stock route, I can pick things up second hand quite cheap in our current economy. The parts that will be custom, will also be made with some second hand components, some new, and some new aluminum
Old 08-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
KINGAMR

Make sure you start a build thread & fill it with lots of pics. We love pics!
Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #13
tiFreak

Vehicles

no need to upgrade the rear suspension, it's the same exact design used in the E30 (incl. M3) and the MZ3's, which in their later years were offered with an S54
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 AM   #14
motoracer47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGAMR View Post
Make sure you start a build thread & fill it with lots of pics. We love pics!

oh fo sho! Im working on the file system on my computer to store all the write ups there will be! lol, maybe not, but there will be quite a few.

tifreak...the reason for the rear suspension change is....well....the ti suspension sucks. I cannot achieve my goal with it. Swing arms offer no camber gain, no toe in or out gain, no way to implement ani-squat. And, its quite heavy for what it does. The new setup will be essentially a hybrid 4-5 link, with all aluminum components. (including the upright) It will offer camber gain(hopefully adjustable) toe in gain on roll, a way lower roll center, and be quite a bit lighter.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
mohaughn

Ehh.. I think you've been reading to much BFC hate on the rear trailing arm design. It isn't that bad of a suspension setup. And you can easily modify it to get toe/camber adjustability. I'm all for doing new and different things, but I don't think you will gain that much by trying to put in a completely different suspension design unless you are a mechanical engineer that completely understands how everything works and needs to be setup. The compact has a different weight distribution, different wheelbase, etc..

As for lightweight aluminum parts.. I'm not sure I would want aluminum suspension components with a high horsepower/torque motor. You'll find that many of the people racing BMWs don't use the aluminum control arms and components unless they are on a very strict replacement schedule for those same components. Replacing aluminum arms every two years gets expensive really quick.

Just find an m-coupe complete rear subframe, put that in, and be done with it. Tried and true, and works great.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote