318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
E30 trailing arms
Today 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
Today 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 7 Views
OMG!OMG!
Today 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Today 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 164 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,021 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,486 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
dohcredsol

Default shaky car

Hey guys,

I have a 95 TI and whenever I hit 40mph my steering wheel goes crazy! It feels like the entire car is from left to right. Someone told me its probably the tires, but the car is fine on the freeway especially at high speeds. I can't point my finger on it. HELP!!!

Thanks
dohcredsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
iking3i

correct me if i am wrong but i think that it might be shaking due to either the tires are not balanced, or the wheels are not aligned..check to see if there is any uneven tire wear thats the usual problems.. anythin beyond that is out of my knowledge.. hope it helps..
iking3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:32 AM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

In this order:

Balance your front tires.
Replace control arm bushings.
Replace tie rod ends.

My guess is control arm bushings, but you need to get the tires balanced first.

Post what you find!

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Vazquezp

Vehicles

mine is doing the same thing sort-of when i get up past 50 the steering wheel goes crazy. i was told it was bcuz i need new struts.
Vazquezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
tybate

same exact problem here at 40-45 mph.Took it to get balanced today and was also told struts.
tybate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:25 AM   #6
J3553

my steering wheel vibrates when i brake. i have new rims and my tires are balanced.... so warped brake rotor maybe?
J3553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:38 AM   #7
marko

I dont think its the brakes.. I have the same problem - vibration while braking only and was told the same thing (warped rotors). I changed the brakes (twice) since then (pads & rotors) & bought myself new (well, used but straight) wheels.. & still the same sh!t.
Must be stuff like bushings, tie rods, sway bar links (??).. I dont know if it'll work, but thats the direction I'll be going in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3553 View Post
my steering wheel vibrates when i brake. i have new rims and my tires are balanced.... so warped brake rotor maybe?
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #8
MerKat

I had a similar issue...shimmying (vibration) while driving at highway speeds and while braking. Re-balancing and aligning improved the former issue and new brake pads and rotors fixed the latter.
I was told the the residual slight shimmy is due to a bent rim. Could this be true?
MerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
Triple_A

you know maybe this is the right place to pose this question. every time i hit about 2700 rpm in gears 1,2,3,4, but NOT 5th- i hear a slight vibration, the trans is in perfect working order(according to my privately owned BMW mechanic), the clutch doesn't slip, everything is perfect; except for that. any thoughts?
Triple_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #10
Rich

I encounter a pot hole in the middle of the night a while ago, dinged two of my wheels , despite have them rebalanced I still had vibration . (the wheels had a very obvious ding)

As said before its worth getting the tracking & balancing done first to see what happens.

I recently swapped my lower wishbones for e30 ones. I also did the track rods as well. Steering feels like its from a new car! I'm very happy with the improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_A View Post
you know maybe this is the right place to pose this question. every time i hit about 2700 rpm in gears 1,2,3,4, but NOT 5th- i hear a slight vibration, the trans is in perfect working order(according to my privately owned BMW mechanic), the clutch doesn't slip, everything is perfect; except for that. any thoughts?
Shot in the dark, but it may be worth having a look at your exhaust bracket, a couple of years ago it rusted through on mine & start to vibrate at certain revs.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
Zacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I encounter a pot hole in the middle of the night a while ago, dinged two of my wheels , despite have them rebalanced I still had vibration . (the wheels had a very obvious ding)

As said before its worth getting the tracking & balancing done first to see what happens.

I recently swapped my lower wishbones for e30 ones. I also did the track rods as well. Steering feels like its from a new car! I'm very happy with the improvement.

Shot in the dark, but it may be worth having a look at your exhaust bracket, a couple of years ago it rusted through & start to vibrate at certain revs.
rpm related shaking is most likely the exhaust, no?
I have money for mods if i want them, gas cause ill want to drive them, and honey's who will want to get in them
Zacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:38 PM   #12
Mallard

Vehicles

this is a common problem, and here are my findings

DO NOT REST WHEEL ON FLOOR WHILST BOLTING UP!! HAVE SOMEONE STAND ON THE BRAKE WHILST TIGHTENING BOLTS IN "CROSS" PATTERN.

if this hasn´t helped the check these

http://bmwfans.info/original/E36/com...1/ill-31_0220/

Number 5

http://bmwfans.info/original/E36/com...1/ill-31_0242/

Numbers 6 and 19

Also, the wheels themselves may have had a bad knock as Rich mentioned, or even dropped a ballencing weight-

tyre wear, pressure and age may contribute but i havent ever seen a tyre in that bad a condition.

Brake rotors are a main culprit in vibration under braking, but control arm bushes can also contribute in this case.

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote