318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
E30 trailing arms
Today 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
Today 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 24 Views
OMG!OMG!
Today 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Today 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 181 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,032 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,499 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
k8sti

Default Ti For My Daughter

Our 16 year old daughter wants a BMW. She fell for this ti and while any 2 door e36 worked originally, the tis are now the favourite. We talked to the current owner and we are at 7700Cdn (~6950USD). I think it is too high and he is now iffy about selling it. She loves it and she doesn't have that much money, but we'll subsidize it.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/314815937.html

The car has been in 3 claimable accidents and it has been painted well, but that is 3 more than I hoped. The interior is great and it runs nicely. She likes the boombox of course. It seems nice but I haven't gone through it very well. The mileage is about average, 193,000km (~120,000mi)

I would prefer she stuck to 318s ie 318is or 318ti and she wants to autocross the car. the ti is preferred.

However I am willing to go further afield and bring in a west coast US car. Both my wife and daughter take every opportunity to go to LA where there seems to be lots of them. It's a pain to bring them back but the cost could be better and more selection. Prices here seem really high.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
k8sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Calgary98TI

Default Auto Trader

Check [URL="http://www.canadatrader.com"] there was a nice looking ti in Kamloops, the price seemed high, but looked like a good car. Just to the search for all of Canada. The one in the craigslist add look expensive for a very base model.
Calgary98TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
PettitWC

First off, I'd like to say how awesome it is she wants a ti.

Now that I've got that out of the way, the price seems high to me too. As for the stereo, it's easy to fall for an after market stereo but remember you can buy a nice used one for cheap and put it in yourself without going through too much trouble and save a bundle if the person selling the car thinks it's worth more than it is. The same can be said for the extra set of winter tires.

I say keep looking or get them to drop the price a bunch

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
Philly

im from nova scotia, and i bought my 1998 Ti last august for $9700 with 157,000km's but it was in mint shape... no accidents, checked over by a BMW/AUDI/VW shop and everything was perfect except the front brakes...

and to answer your questions, a 95 thats had 3 accidents is not quite worth 7700.. IMHO...

A 97 was for sale in my hometown with around 100k and it went for a little over $10k... so it all depends too i guess

Id say shop around a little... you should be able to find a newer model with lower KM's and no reported accidents for around that price easily...

Dont settle for the first egg thats hatched

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
3DGE

There is a blue ti here with a calif top for sale, hit up Porltland Oregon craigslist!
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:02 AM   #6
PettitWC

these Canadian prices keep make me give em a double take

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

You can do better. What U.S. big city are you closest too? Excuse my lack of knowledge of Canada geography. Someday I'll make the short trip up there, it sounds like an awesome place.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
Philly

Im not 100% sure where white rock is but i know it is in british columbia... so my guess is seattle would be his closest large US city...

and Dusten.. don't feel bad with your knowledge of canada... i ordered some parts yesterday from the US and he was like "huh?? where?? is that in canaduuhhh?? can you spell it please?"

lol

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:28 AM   #9
k8sti

White Rock is a Vancouver suburb and is right on the Washington border. We keep our sailboat in Washington State, as it is the most convenient location for us.

The Cali top would be my first choice but nobody else. Maybe if they saw a real one that would change.

At this point I don't mind importing. My problem is getting it inspected although I know that is done successfully. Our neighbor bought an MGB from San Diego on eBay and it is sensational.

I saw the Kamloops ti but that price really put me off. It's been there a while; I could give them a call. There are a few in the LA area and we really enjoy LA. I work quite a bit in Washington and Oregon but that is in the interior and ti hunting wouldn't be that successful.

It is very cool that she likes the ti AND the manual AND she wants to autocross. She has only driven a driver ed car and my wife's Expedition with an automatic. I really like to pretend my name isn't on the ownership of that thing. Otherwise she drives my Integra and was really happy to drive 2 different manual tis
Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #10
m-technik_ti

That Ti looks strangely familiar...I think it may be my friends 'friends' car. If this is indeed the car that I think it is, it’s not too badly priced. Due to their rarity in the lower mainland, Ti's seem to demand a slightly higher price than that of comparable 318 coupes and sedans in some instances.

Overall, us B.C. folks pay quite a bit higher prices for cars in general than anywhere else...If you want a better deal you almost have to go down to the States nowadays.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #11
k8sti

It is remarkably clean and well kept. He is a good person to deal with. Our prices are high and moving an out of province car, Canada or the US quickly eats up the difference in cost. She loves the colour and the stereo. The latter is obviously easily remedied. I think the car needs very little to put it in order. I know what happened in the last accident. A shed or something fell on it. It was minor but still $3500

However we have time and I am trying hard to curb my impulsive behaviour. She still wants to rush out and buy it.

To import a car from California of equal value the price would have to be less than $6000 USD assuming we drove it back. Shipping seems to be really expensive and my assumption that adding daytime running lights is next to nothing. The earlier cars simply turned on low beams with the ignition. A Seattle or Portland car could be pricier. And I was hoping for better and newer or equal and much cheaper.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #12
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8sti View Post
colour

Personally I'd wait for a 96+ model with lower miles or a Club Sport.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
k8sti

"Personally I'd wait for a 96+ model with lower miles or a Club Sport."

Yeah I really would prefer to do that. The first car we looked at was a 96 with original paint, 330i wheels and they asked $7800, but since it was the first one we waited too long and until she saw that car she thought they were kinda stumpy looking. I am sure I would have had to pay less and it was undeniably a better car. But some people seem to have issues with the m44. I guess it is perceived as more tunable, my initial reaction is the M44 is preferable. Somebody on this forum has a 98 ti in LA that is appealing except that it is silver.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #14
PettitWC

what's wrong with silver?

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #15
k8sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettitWC View Post
what's wrong with silver?

Dunno she doesn't like it my wife doesn't like it. I do.