318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 26,982 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,417,055 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 450,174 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-06-2004, 08:16 PM   #76
RAJ

ClubSport- With Hoosier Road race Slicks On these OZ wheels, each wheel weighed 20lbs on a concrete floor with a anolog scale.
RAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:24 PM   #77
RAJ

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/t...letters02a/BMW
___________________________________________________________________ Hatch Help
I'm a long time subscriber to your magazine, back when it was VW& Porsche. I have a '95 318ti, I like the hatch back, but it needs more power.Is there any turbo kit for this motor. I didn't want to do a motor swap.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff, Mosselman makes a turbo kit. The problem is finding a place to buy one. Turner Motorsport used to carry them, but not anymore. There was rumor that Wheel Power (www.wheelpower.com) had some, but we couldn't determine that from their website.

We'd recommend navigating the company's website--www.mosselman.com to find a source. The Mosselman turbo for the 318ti produces 182 hp @ 6000 rpm and 187 lb-ft torque @ 4500 rpm. It's 6-7 psi boost starts at 1200 rpm.

There is also a supercharger kit, which is the choice of most enthusiasts seeking forced induction on a 318ti, E36 318iS, or Z3 1.9. Downing Atlanta (www.downingatlanta.com) makes and excellent Eaton blower system that is worth every penny of $3,395. For anyone with a good mechanical skills, it's an easy install that produces over 200 hp @ 6500 rpm. And it's smog-legal in California.

Unfortunately, the Downing Atlanta supercharger does not work on the E30 318is, due to that engines belt drive configuration and lack of knock sensors.

The 318ti is an excellent car, and the utility of the hatchback is clear. It is unfortunate that U.S. car buyers seem to equate the hatchback design with "economy cars." This, the 318ti's lack of thrust, and basic trim level were subjects of derision for some car magazines. Too bad, too; the 318ti is an E36 3 Series without all the E36 problems--less electronic failures, and the semi-trailing arm rear suspension means the rear suspension carrier will never rip out of the floor as sometimes happens with the multi-link design on other E36 models so equipped. --Mike Miller

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-06-2004, 08:28 PM   #78
RAJ

http://www.automotive.com/buy/used/14/64686/31/ ---
nice Ti for sale
Old 11-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #79
bmw///m3///

Raj you didnt stereotype. I think what you doing is cool and I hope if you race you STOMP his ass. I dont think you pushing 200 hp but would like to be proven wrong.............are you claiming 200 hp flywheel is so, youll have it up thier pretty soon. keep it up : I thought you were claiming 200 bhp and I was thinking your on crack. I think the other guys should stop critizing and listen to you because you have good ideas and vis-versa.///

Also I think it would be most helpful if someone could fiquire out the difference for the EURO SPEC engines(components-such as cams, intake, etc). Factory mods are the way to go and more reliable than those aftermarket stuff. DAmn the US specs, we always get screwed........
bmw///m3/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:43 PM   #80
RAJ

http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_engines.htm
Old 11-06-2004, 09:08 PM   #81
RAJ

Ya know, I have a - 112rwHP Ducati 916 and I have been working on Ducati bikes for roughly 8 yrs now- but in the last 4yrs, this has not been on a daily basis. But, my point is, I know the difference between a 98rwHp bike and 112hp bike. My race bike 916 in 1998 produce 130rwhp.. and it was much faster than my 112hp street bike.
I am 30 now but when i was 16 I got into Vw bugs (Owned a 1965 and 1956) When i got the cars once had a 1500cc and the '56 had a 1641cc with lightened flywheel and dual carbs. I pulled the 1641 and built a 1835cc with 40mm dual downdraft webers, a JSC race case, Engle120 camshaft, Engle forged crank and rods, Cima forged pistons and all balanced, + Dual Oval Port S&S triple valve spring heads- The Car Hauled ass... and It could launch off the line and even lift the front wheels about 4". I know the 1500 single port engine made 65hp.. but this 1835cc was my estimate to be 140hp- in a trim 1200lb car. Then, I figured this by 1/4 mile times.. since i knew the weight of the car i was able to mathmatically figure this out- at the time too, I knew Lots of people doing the same things and their results.

Anyway, my point is I have an understanding of what HP feels like in certain vehicles. 500 Hp in a 6000lb car doesnt feel like much- but as we make changes to our cars.. we realize benefits and burdens.
Raising the redline to 7000rpm makes a tremendous difference-My Ti really starts making power then.. and keeps making it until the rev limiter kicks in. Proposed by The Dinan/bmw dealer, the Dinan upgrade I obtained is not generic- I told them to push it open since i was'nt concerned about wear and tear. too, they claimed to have achieved more than a generic 15-20 HP.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:29 PM   #82
bmw///m3///

ya since the factory rev limited 135 hp rating is achieved at 6500 rpm (which is high), I could see squeezing and extra 10hp in higher rpms alone.... I mostly talk out of my ass but my pops owns a german shop for over 30 years and teaches me alot of stuff he knows.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:41 PM   #83
bimmerboi318

Reducing reciprocating mass doesnt mean stripping the car down. It means reducing the mass of reciprocating parts in the engine, which does wonders for power gains. I'm not sure if that was cleared up or not, I got lost in all of the posts But if he had the engine torn down...there's alot he could have done. We're too used to living in our "bolt on" world. He's got 110 hp per liter if his claims are accurate. That's not that hard to do these days even with NA. Look at Honda's S2000, that's 100hp per liter in stock form (assuming that I'm correct with it being a 2.4 liter with 240hp).

Stuff like lightweight flywheels doesnt actually increase the theoretical hp created by combustion, but it does increase the power being transferred to the wheels. And that my friends, is what counts. Hp at the wheels. Every ounce you take from the drivetrain, is more force that can be applied to the road.
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 10:45 PM   #84
bmw///m3///

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi318
Reducing reciprocating mass doesnt mean stripping the car down. It means reducing the mass of reciprocating parts in the engine, which does wonders for power gains. I'm not sure if that was cleared up or not, I got lost in all of the posts But if he had the engine torn down...there's alot he could have done. We're too used to living in our "bolt on" world. He's got 110 hp per liter if his claims are accurate. That's not that hard to do these days even with NA. Look at Honda's S2000, that's 100hp per liter in stock form (assuming that I'm correct with it being a 2.4 liter with 240hp).

Stuff like lightweight flywheels doesnt actually increase the theoretical hp created by combustion, but it does increase the power being transferred to the wheels. And that my friends, is what counts. Hp at the wheels. Every ounce you take from the drivetrain, is more force that can be applied to the road.
well put, ive been thinking the same///
Old 11-07-2004, 08:35 AM   #85
RAJ

BimmerBoi318- That is exactly what I was attemting to get accross- by reducing energy wasted.. you gain energy. I concur- Very Well Put.

BMW//M3 - Isn't the stock redline like 6000RPM? it has been so long since mine was stock- cant recall. On 2 Stroke engines in GP bikes or Mx bikes, raising the ports increases RPMs achievable and power. Sometimes too, in any engine, destroking (shorter rods) can increase the engines ability to handle high RPMs for more power- IF this is desired but also wish to retain displacement or go bigger- Larger bores and pistons can be done. destroking can be cool since it makes the engine perfect for high boost turbo or supercharger applications - The best example i Know of such Mods is the Dahlback Golf with AWD.

the funny thing here to me is, 135hp is the lowest HP that most claim is stock ti rating. As I think I said Earlier, I have seen some BMW Spec sheets for US models claiming 165hp. Not calling Bluff, but why so many different specs floating around for stock #'s on the same car?

good night
Old 11-07-2004, 04:30 PM   #86
TiPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ
the funny thing here to me is, 135hp is the lowest HP that most claim is stock ti rating. As I think I said Earlier, I have seen some BMW Spec sheets for US models claiming 165hp. Not calling Bluff, but why so many different specs floating around for stock #'s on the same car?

good night

That must have been a misprint or you were looking at a different engine, because everywhere I have read and seen the stock M44 engine has 138HP,just open your owners manual and you will see the same 138HP rating that everyone else claims.

Again the ricer math is getting to you, that body kit probably adds 30HP and then that center mount exhaust is probably worth another 20HP, get about 20 stickers and you will soon have more horsepower than Raima. It will be great to know that this will soon be sorted out, and you will know the true HP rating of your car.
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 04:40 PM   #87
TiPerformance

The only way that you will even come close to 200HP N/A is if you do the following.

Raised compression 10.5 - 11:1
Ported and polished cylinder head, with oversized valves
Higher lift cams
Ported and polished intake manifold, or Individual throttle body manifold
Computer reflash
Old 11-07-2004, 05:44 PM   #88
RAJ

Usually bizarre egos are discovered in the glove boxes of various muscle cars, not 318ti's. You might consider some Advil for your swelling head.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #89
TiPerformance

If anyone has a swollen head it is you, thinking you have 200HP. Before you come posting your BS atleast be able to back it up with proof, which I have yet to see any. And the childish stereotypes are getting more retarded with every post. It wouldn't matter if you had a Geo metro or even a yugo, if you claim stuff that isn't real expect me to question it, sorry but that is just the way I am.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:06 PM   #90
Constant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ
Funny on the injector sizing- according to your calculations, the 2 Dyno-Proven 400 HP Mustangs( one Supercharged and one naturally aspirated) I have sitting in my shop shouldn't even run.
and then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ
And lets see, I have a Supercharged Roush With 2 broken pistons (confirmed by me, FORD, and Roush)
Did anyone catch that? I'm dying here, I can barely type this as I'm on the floor laughing so hard! ROFL LMFAO!

Constant
Constant is offline   Reply With Quote