318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
OMG!OMG!
Today 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Today 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 130 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,010 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,471 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #31
DSKM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATELUS View Post
Darren: How much tighter does the ti feel in corners with the brace on?
The difference for me is subtle as I have a relatively brand new and relatively stiff suspension (Koni SA w/ H&R Sport). I do believe the turn-in is a bit more crisp. I expect with my old base suspension, the difference would have been greater. I did the fitting at John's shop Saturday morning and then installed an x-brace on Sunday and I can definitely say the car is tighter with the combination. As you can see from the photos of my car, the steel version of the strut brace is a fine piece of kit. John's designs may not be as fancy or pretty as some, but it is clear that this brace is engineered for function, while still exhibiting excellent build quality. For example, the clearances are spot on; really noticeable in the gap consistency where the rear loop runs along the back of the engine bay. This entire project has been a great success (thanks mostly to Dave's efforts and John's engineering and fabrication skills) and there is now a ti-specific strut brace that is a clear best-choice for our cars. Cheers, Darren (still looking for a set of 16" Style 18 wheels...)
DSKM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #32
CATELUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSKM3 View Post
The difference for me is subtle as I have a relatively brand new and relatively stiff suspension (Koni SA w/ H&R Sport). I do believe the turn-in is a bit more crisp. I expect with my old base suspension, the difference would have been greater. I did the fitting at John's shop Saturday morning and then installed an x-brace on Sunday and I can definitely say the car is tighter with the combination. As you can see from the photos of my car, the steel version of the strut brace is a fine piece of kit. John's designs may not be as fancy or pretty as some, but it is clear that this brace is engineered for function, while still exhibiting excellent build quality. For example, the clearances are spot on; really noticeable in the gap consistency where the rear loop runs along the back of the engine bay. This entire project has been a great success (thanks mostly to Dave's efforts and John's engineering and fabrication skills) and there is now a ti-specific strut brace that is a clear best-choice for our cars. Cheers, Darren (still looking for a set of 16" Style 18 wheels...)
When you mention function. Are you speaking in regards to the brace not being in the way of the spark plug holes?

Just looking at the brace made me realize that this could give my mechanic a little extra work every time it gets serviced. Can you confirm if the brace does give you enough space to change the spark plugs?

Also, with the x-brace. Can any x-brace that fits an e36 fit or does it have to be Ti specific?

Thanks for the information so far. Its great!

Last edited by CATELUS; 02-17-2010 at 08:13 AM.
CATELUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #33
maverick

Default x-brace

All e36's use the same x-brace.

As far as spark plug access I will have to defer to Darren as my bar has not arrived yet and due to family medical emergencies x3 I will not get it mounted right away. I am of the opinion that if every 30,000 or so I have to do a touch more work to change plugs for a very solid brace, no problem.

Dave
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #34
DSKM3

Quote:
When you mention function. Are you speaking in regards to the brace not being in the way of the spark plug holes?

Just looking at the brace made me realize that this could give my mechanic a little extra work every time it gets serviced. Can you confirm if the brace does give you enough space to change the spark plugs?
When I speak of function, I am referring to the stiffness and structural rigidity of the bar design, and the fact that it doesn't have any threaded or pivoting joints.

I hadn't thought about spark plug access until you mentioned it. It appears that there is sufficient clearance to access the spark plugs with the bar in place (perhaps I can take a photo from directly over the top), however, as Dave points out, removing the bar shouldn't be a problem, especially given the frequency you would need access.

My mechanic saw it for the first time today and he didn't seem to think it would be a problem.

BTW - got the LSD I picked up from another .org member installed today. What a difference from the stock open diff!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #35
maverick

Exclamation This buy is closing in a few days, hurry if you want in!!!

All orders placed and confirmed with funds will be shipped ASAP and you will be notified of shipping details. If anyone else want's one of these much superior bars at the group price speak now or pay full price from Mason Engineering and even then for the quality of design and constrution you would still be getting a bargain!!!

Order now, or full price!!!

Dave
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #36
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
All orders placed and confirmed with funds will be shipped ASAP and you will be notified of shipping details.
Awesome!

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #37
KINGAMR

I want a 6 cylinder bar
KINGAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #38
Marv17

so i didn't read all the previous posts on this thread but i do have to say something about this...
today harold and i were at the DDM tuning opening here in Huntington Beach, SoCal ... roger and his buddy (sry forgot his name) came as well and we were able to see one of these struts bars for the ti in person. It looks really good and solid, well fabricated and up to par. Clears everything however did forget how the access to the spark plugs is. I don't think its a big issue, but not 100% sure.
All in all, this is a well made strut bar.
My .00002 cents, that is all.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #39
maverick

Default They are engineering works of art, get yours quick or pay full price!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
so i didn't read all the previous posts on this thread but i do have to say something about this...
today harold and i were at the DDM tuning opening here in Huntington Beach, SoCal ... roger and his buddy (sry forgot his name) came as well and we were able to see one of these struts bars for the ti in person. It looks really good and solid, well fabricated and up to par. Clears everything however did forget how the access to the spark plugs is. I don't think its a big issue, but not 100% sure.
All in all, this is a well made strut bar.
My .00002 cents, that is all.
Plug access should be okay and even if not it is not hard loosening up the mounts and removing the bar as with the car on the ground even with adj.mounts the struts won't move.

I will try and keep this open a day or two more, but no longer as we have met the minimum and I need to get this over due to family health needs. So holler quick and be ready to get the funds to me ASAP and I will do my best, if not pay full price to Mason Engineering and your still getting a bargain in this day and age.

Dave
Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #40
maverick

Default Mason Engineering makes a similar design for 6-cyl cars!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGAMR View Post
I want a 6 cylinder bar

John based the design of this bar on a design he makes for the 6-cyl cars and is sold through Rogue Engineering and I think on John's site as well and it to is considered the very best bolt in bar. He also makes other bars for the sixes that are a bit more conventional in layout, but still superbly engineered and made. When I approached John with our needs for the ti he and I both hoped we could adapt the bar he makes for Rogue as it is a very solid one and very light.

Again, if anyone want's one of the ti specific bars get in touch now and I will try to fit you in, or pay full price from John and still have a bargain for the best bar available for our cars.

Dave
Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #41
maverick

Exclamation The Group Buy is closed!!!

This group buy is closed, all orders placed and in hand will be shipped soon and I will be contacting all buyers privately with details ASAP. I want to thank everyone who ordered as it now gives John reason to make these great bars for our prized cars and they and all of his other fine products are available at his site http://www.masonengineering.net/main.htm

You will find his regular prices a bargain considering the engineering and quality of construction and fabrication and materials.

I do hope that anyone who wants a high quailty bar from a man who supports our niche market cars will give his site a good look and refer him to friends and those who have other cars as he has a wide assortment of products for BMW and Mini's and does custom fabrications as well. My greatest thanks to Darren for being the guniea pig and to John Mason for being so generous with his time and efforts.

Dave Ellsworth
Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #42
DSKM3

That was me at the DDM Tuning open house with my ti. I had to laugh - my ti is rather plain looking other than being lower than stock, but I wish I would have taken a photo of the approx 20 people crowding around the front of my car looking under the hood at my stock M44. Or perhaps they were looking at the Mason Eng strut brace - yeah, maybe that was it.

My car basked in its 15 minutes of fame until somebody with a disproportionately high horsepower to talent ratio overdrove his M3 into a curb about a block away, causing a mass exodus to see what happened.

The bar was well received and there were a lot of questions about availability in aluminum, etc.

It was good meeting some of the other SoCal ti folks and great to learn firsthand more about the possibilities of the ti.

Thanks again Dave for leading the efforts on getting the bar into existence.

Cheers,
Darren
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #43
maverick

Default I figured it must be you:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSKM3 View Post
That was me at the DDM Tuning open house with my ti. I had to laugh - my ti is rather plain looking other than being lower than stock, but I wish I would have taken a photo of the approx 20 people crowding around the front of my car looking under the hood at my stock M44. Or perhaps they were looking at the Mason Eng strut brace - yeah, maybe that was it.

The bar was well received and there were a lot of questions about availability in aluminum, etc.

It was good meeting some of the other SoCal ti folks and great to learn firsthand more about the possibilities of the ti.

Thanks again Dave for leading the efforts on getting the bar into existence.

Cheers,
Darren
I figured it must be you Darren unless somebody out there bought one from John direct. I must say the bar I got sure is pretty, pity it might be awhile until I get time to mount it as I really need to swap mounts too and family issues are eating me up...at the hospital now with Sis, she has been away from home a month today!

I will have a nice set of GC camber mounts up for sale soon, still in great shape and two spare bearings. They are still really okay and at worst as the only problem I have with them is noisy for the street...going to try Vorshlag, anybody have any comments???
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #44
CATELUS

What! Closed!

Maverick: You didn't get to notify me about postage to AUS?
CATELUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #45
maverick

Default Check your private messages

Quote:
What! Closed!

Maverick: You didn't get to notify me about postage to AUS?
Dave