318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 608 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,126 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
WashDC318ti

Default Where to begin?

Hey all,

I recently bought a '99 ti, completely stock, and am wondering where to begin in terms of modifications. I should mention I'm a grad student, so money is a bit of an obstacle. Do I start with performance (I was thinking suspension or exhaust) or aesthetics (maybe rims)? Essentially I want to know what modifications will get me the most satisfaction on a limited budget...

Thanks!
Andrew
WashDC318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
b.u.ti-ful

Welcome to the site!

What kind of wheels do you have now?

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
WashDC318ti

Thanks!

Right now I have the stock 16in 5 spoke wheels. What would you suggest for an upgrade?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
1996 328ti

Vehicles

99 cool. Pretty rare!
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
WashDC318ti

Really? Sweet! Yeah I found it on craigslist- I bought it for $4,200 USD with 160k miles. Despite the high mileage, it is in really great condition. But I digress, what should I do first?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Mr. Crow

Welcome and congrats on your car!

My advice would be to get that thing serviced first, ASAP. No matter what the seller has said. A basic oil change and check all the fluids. Also, your rotors and brake pads check for wear. A bentley service manual perhaps.

I know you want to slap some shiny's on there and and maybe you might feel like your driving a 4X4 at stock height. But once you get that stuff knocked out of the way... you'll thank yourself in the long run.

If everything is a-ok, I would suggest a nice set of wheels and a good suspension kit.

Good luck, +1 on the 99'
Old 05-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
b.u.ti-ful

Most people on this site will tell you for performance focus on your suspension, brakes and tires because the only modification that gets a big horsepower improvement is either a supercharger (rare and expensive) or a 6 cylinder swap (just expensive.)

As far a the look of the car, some people like to put on the "M" mirrors or add foglights or clear cornering lights if you don't have them.

I like this wheel design/color:

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
WashDC318ti

Thanks, I absolutely love the car and am hooked!

Yeah, I took it to a shop that works exclusively on BMW and had them change the oil, replace the front pads, as well as replace the clutch! Obviously a new clutch set me back quite a bit, but it was on its last legs and simply had to be replaced.

Other than that, I'm torn between tackling suspension first (Bilstein shocks and Bav Auto springs seem like a good deal) or getting some shiny new rims. I think rims would definitely make the car stand out more, but I am curious to see how hard I can toss this thing in the corners with an upgraded suspension...

Thanks for the advice and any more thoughts you can dish out would be much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
L84THSKY

Before you consider if and what suspension changes to make, consider the roads you will be driving. Proper stiffness springs and proper tire size depends on the condition of the roads throughout the year.

I have Bavauto springs with Bilstein Sports, they ride nice. To combat the bad roads during winter, I ride stock wheels (15/205/60), for summer I put on (17/235/45)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashDC318ti View Post
Thanks, I absolutely love the car and am hooked!

Yeah, I took it to a shop that works exclusively on BMW and had them change the oil, replace the front pads, as well as replace the clutch! Obviously a new clutch set me back quite a bit, but it was on its last legs and simply had to be replaced.

Other than that, I'm torn between tackling suspension first (Bilstein shocks and Bav Auto springs seem like a good deal) or getting some shiny new rims. I think rims would definitely make the car stand out more, but I am curious to see how hard I can toss this thing in the corners with an upgraded suspension...

Thanks for the advice and any more thoughts you can dish out would be much appreciated.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
WashDC318ti

Good advice, thanks. While I do live in the city, ripe with potholes and torn up streets, this car isn't a daily driver and I mainly just use it to have fun on back roads in the 'burbs. In the city, I baby this thing over every little bump.

Regardless, I see your point...So I'm pretty sure Bilstein Sports and Bav springs will work, but do you think 18in rims would be too much and I should just go for 17's? I mean I want my car to stand out, but not at the expense of bent wheels and an intolerably harsh ride.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Ray Cism

I have a FK suspension kit on my 95. Koni shocks/struts with FK springs. Also riding with 18's with 225/40 's. Lots of potholes and such around here so I take it easy on crappy pavement but on nice pavement the thing corners and handles awesome. I honestly haven't driven much that can corner like my Ti can. Suspension upgrade is definitely worth it and my ride isn't too harsh. I drove it 6 hours last weekend with no problem.

Have fun!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
L84THSKY

18's are at the extreme end of practicality. Some people do it, and can get away with it. Depends on the roads you travel. 17's are a safe bet, you can even vary the profile to add some safety. I run a slightly higher than normal profile (45) on my 17's for the added pothole resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashDC318ti View Post
Good advice, thanks. While I do live in the city, ripe with potholes and torn up streets, this car isn't a daily driver and I mainly just use it to have fun on back roads in the 'burbs. In the city, I baby this thing over every little bump.

Regardless, I see your point...So I'm pretty sure Bilstein Sports and Bav springs will work, but do you think 18in rims would be too much and I should just go for 17's? I mean I want my car to stand out, but not at the expense of bent wheels and an intolerably harsh ride.

Thanks!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
tiFreak

Vehicles

I bought a set of used 18"s for my car that had 40 series tires and they're all bent from the crappy roads, I'd recommend 17"s, plus the 18"s look kinda big on our cars

I would have preferred 17"s but the rims were only $200 anyway
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
amancuso

Before you consider anything, do a cooling system overhaul and replace it all, including the plastic pipes under the manifold and behind the engine. Secondly I advise getting the front timing cover gaskets done as well as the oil filter housing gasket and the valve cover gasket.. After that it's your call.

-Al.

p.s. welcome to the site!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
Ray Cism

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Before you consider anything, do a cooling system overhaul and replace it all, including the plastic pipes under the manifold and behind the engine. Secondly I advise getting the front timing cover gaskets done as well as the oil filter housing gasket and the valve cover gasket.. After that it's your call.

-Al.

p.s. welcome to the site!
I agree. I had to do it all.

By the way 1 of my 18" wheels is bent and at the shop getting straighted. I recommend 17".