318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 724 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,197 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-09-2008, 02:18 AM   #301
bullmand

The x-brace alone makes a huge difference in the way the car feels and is definitely worth the relatively small amount of money that it costs. I've related this story before, but I'll retell it briefly again. I took mine to a dealership to have it installed. When I went to pick the car up they told me that were unable to get the brace on and I'd have to bring it back the next day. I noticed while driving it home (mostly highway) that the car felt different. When I took it back the next morning they told me that it was actually on the car. We took a look underneath and there it was. So, the point is that even without knowing it was on the car I could tell it was doing something even in straight line highway driving. Of the three things you've mentioned I would do this first. Hope you find this info useful.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #302
Kaliimc

^^^

Definitely useful, the crossbrace (X-brace) was installed last month and yes there is lots of positive and absolutely no complaints about the results so far, even my wife can tell the difference.

I was just interested in knowing about the package deal of all three of the before mentioned items; crossbrace, bigger sway bar, and strut tower brace, and what this combo will do for our cars. I can guess it will be pretty solid.

With my 540 I purchased a strong-strut bar and it was effective by itself without any other suspension mods.

Looks like the strut tower bar from Mason Engineering is the current top slot holder in my selection lf possibilities so far, plus the price is nice.

1996 Alpine White: 318ti: Dinan Stage 1 Software. CosmoRacing CAI EVO 3.5". Dinan Free Flow exhaust. X-Brace. LeatherZ Mark2 Armrest. Eibach front sway bar. Meyle RSM's
Kaliimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:56 AM   #303
RidingSimple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliimc View Post
Crossbrace, bigger sway bar, and strut tower brace, and what this combo will do for our cars. I can guess it will be pretty solid.

Looks like the strut tower bar from Mason Engineering is the current top slot holder in my selection lf possibilities so far, plus the price is nice.
I'll say. With those 3 front end stiffeners installed, your ti will have no give up front, which is a good thing. All you'll then need is upgraded Bilstein shocks and solid M3 spec lower control arm bushings. A guy is selling a brand new centered set from a 97 M3 for $30 shipped on bf.com I have mine waiting to be installed already pressed into new brackets, making it a cinch to install. I'll probably do them on our swaybar install day.

Let me know if you decide to get that Mason bar, I bet we could do another ship-a-thon to Hawaii and save a few bucks. (I would be interested in a few months though).
RidingSimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #304
Kaliimc

^^^

It looks like we will be planning for the strut tower brace so it may take a few months to get things in order...

1996 Alpine White: 318ti: Dinan Stage 1 Software. CosmoRacing CAI EVO 3.5". Dinan Free Flow exhaust. X-Brace. LeatherZ Mark2 Armrest. Eibach front sway bar. Meyle RSM's
Old 11-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #305
LudicrouSpeed

just an update - bars still have not shipped to my (or my distributor's) knowledge. I'll receive an invoice and tracking numbers as soon as they do.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:18 AM   #306
RidingSimple

Thanks for the update.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #307
RidingSimple

Well, well....lookie what arrived all nice and red and shiny today!!!!

They sure aren't light, but that just adds to the badassness. ha!
Old 11-14-2008, 03:39 AM   #308
RidingSimple

Couldn't leave well enough alone....just got in from installing it. Haven't driven it yet, but it won't be quiet, as the passenger side bracket for the end link to control arm attachment broke. The welded bolt came loose, so I cannot crank the 16mm nut down, oh well, I'll get some new ones soon enough.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 AM   #309
Kaliimc

Thanks for the directions Justin, got us there in good time. We followed a white truck down the road for a while until they stopped next to your house, and at that point they were pretty interested in us and why we were following them. Turned out they were there to work on your neighbors' yard.

I will install the sway bar on Saturday morning before the big football games come on... Couldn't do it today because we needed to install front brakes/rotors on my sister-in-law's Mercedes c240. Very easy job on those cars. We had to do an emergency run down to Hawaii Import Parts for OEM brakes as our ebay purchase for ceramic Akebono brakes was wrong. HIP has always been good to me with 4 different cars now, good service, cheaper than BMW of Hono. and always cheaper than buying OEM from the internet(so far).

Also installed a Mark2 armrest from LeatherZ www.leatherz.com in my car today. Took about 10 minutes, and this is after reading the instructions twice.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #310
Kaliimc

^^^

Done!

Stuper easy too. Thought it would be tough because it was something I had never even come close to doing before. I am suprised.

No changes really at up to about 30mph but hopefully at freeway speeds I can tell, there are a few onramps and turns I have in mind...

Aloha,

Football time!

Old 11-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #311
RidingSimple

Glad it went on easy Paul!
Take some 90 degress turns and let the back end kick out, you'll notice it then! hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliimc View Post
^^^

Done!

Stuper easy too. Thought it would be tough because it was something I had never even come close to doing before. I am suprised.

No changes really at up to about 30mph but hopefully at freeway speeds I can tell, there are a few onramps and turns I have in mind...

Aloha,

Football time!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #312
spidertri

Vehicles

Yo Chookeat, where's mine at?

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #313
LudicrouSpeed

Good question. Should be any day now, and I'll call you to arrange for a delivery. My account was charged, but haven't received the invoices yet, but that's pretty much par for the course as far as Eibach is concerned. Glad you guys got your stuff!

Oh, and I'll be attending a trade show in March - if anyone has ideas as to what they'd like next, now would be the time to start talking about it. I get good discounts when I purchase in bulk.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #314
spidertri

Vehicles

Sounds good, I'm not going to install it until Thanksgiving or later, so it's really not a big deal how long it takes to get here.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #315
LudicrouSpeed

FedEx left an "attempted delivery" sticker on my door today. Small chance it's your bar - I'll give another update tomorrow afternoon.