View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
vsonix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
Nice...
I'd like to go on the record as stating that BANGLE SUCKS!.... Thank God he's out!!!...
Lets hope BMWNA actually starts to think about bringing in some of these true euro wonders over, too bad they concentrate too much on branding BMW as a top end luxury brand... as long as that is the mentality we'll never get these cool little cars over here.
you know, something that I have begun to notice with BMWs and actually just about all brands of car is that they [i]deliberately[/b] make the standard trim levels that little bit uglier than they need to be. It's always a couple of very subtle changes to the lines of the car, usually the side skirts will accentuate the middle of the car, and it'll be on fairly small rims for the size of the body.
Then on the 'sports' and 'luxury' versions, the side skirts are tweaked back into place making the wheel arches look bgger and more flared and they put the right size wheels on. The result is that the standard edition looks like a fat man with short legs, and the sport version looks like a guy in reasonable shape for his height.

Some cars can just about get away with this 'uglification' - the e46 3-series sedan, for example. But the 1-series, and in particular, the 5-door just looks WRONG. But I think overall the fault doesn't lie 100% with Bangle, it's also in what has been done with his original designs in order to make the top-end cars look better than the standard ones. I don't think many people would call an e90 M3 ugly, for example. The standard e91 touring is pretty homely, but again, the M-Sport pack makes all the difference, das ist ein sexywagon, Ja?

the e36 ti is the same, arguably the M-sport editions are how it is MEANT to look, the base model is how it looks once you take away all the nice bits to save money.

If you're gonna buy a 1-series hatchback though, it NEEDS to be the 3-door M-sport. Preferably in silver-grey with red leather interior. Or perhaps Avus with black.

this one is nice:

Last edited by vsonix; 10-24-2010 at 09:20 PM.
vsonix is offline   Reply With Quote