318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 991,213 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-26-2005, 05:42 AM   #16
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22
It's sad that most automaker's solution to their problems is to just put a bigger engine in.
i certainly can't blame them though; fuel is EXTREMELY cheap this side of the pond and just increasing the block is a much cheaper alternative than actual engineering--something US companies seem to fear. the exception is ford, who only puts down the cash on something like the GT40 where pride is involved. i'd bet you there would be no incentive for them to make that car were ferrari not around.

aside from that, i've found that the 4-banger has taught me to be a better driver by relying on the inertia and forward planning necessary to flick this thing around (cheers, John). additionally, this is the type of knowledge that "translates up," whereas knowing how to put your foot down, well, doesn't.

american muscle certainly gets my blood flowing, but only in a straight line just like the cars. i mean seriously, red-light dragracing gets really old. i prefer my Gs laterally, otherwise it's just a darwinian game of "let's find a way to remove ourself from the gene pool in the attempt to prove ourself better."

seriously, you can only go so many mph before it gets boring, but twisties will never get old.

i own a ZJ (jeep grand cherokee) as well, so i'm not opposed to the SUV thing, but it's a time and place issue to me. my jeep goes places the bimmer can't, and most people haven't even seen. i love getting muddy, but how are you going to do that with dub-deuces? honestly, "i bet you're a real sincere and stand-up guy when it comes down to it. not superficial at all, and treats the ladies well."

i player hate all the time, but only because they're jackasses.

to end my little diatribe here, i'll just say that i probably won't be purchasing any new model BMWs in the future (okay, maybe an M) but that mostly has to do with Bangle-butt and the fact that I hate the initial kick in the pills of buying anything new.

plus, the 3ers seem to gain about 300lbs/year. i don't find 10% an acceptable gain in my women, and i certainly don't find it acceptable in my cars.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:09 AM   #17
CirrusSR22

Yeah, I don't blame them either. They need to stay competitve and provide better "numbers" than the other guy.

--------

Like many of you, I also feel that a great handling, great braking, great feeling, well-balanced car is FAR! more satisfying than just drag racing. The Lotus Elise is my dream car
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:52 AM   #18
Panzer_M

the new 1 series in a 2.0 Four

and the e46 Ti and saloon came in a 4 cyl.

and remember the 2002turbo and e30 M3 were both 4 bangers and car that drove like your trousers were on fire.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #19
not2fast

I think BMW dropped 4 cylinders here because the cars are getting heavier and the output of their 4's are not going up. Seriously the 1.6L 115hp motor in the Mini is a joke and so is the 1.6L 160hp supercharged motor. Honda built 1.6l motors over 15 years ago that are NA and produced 160hp. BMW has not invested the money to make a motor that competes. How many more 318ti's would have BMW sold here if they would have had a 170hp motor in them like the GSR's did in the same year?

American's buy 4 cylinders. I have owned mostly 4's. My Volvo S40 had a 1.9L Turbo, VW GTI had a 1.8T, MR2 has a 2L Turbo, GSR had a 1.8L, and my Accord is a 4. Look at the Evo and Sti. Americans are not scared of fours if they perform.

Also enough with the displacement bashing. BMW does it just like everyone else. You can get the 325 or 330. Displacement is a good thing in many regards.

My M3 eater is a turbocharged mid-engine Toyota
http://eyeseephoto.com/events/200406...ross%20038.jpg
not2fast is offline   Reply With Quote