318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 994,560 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #31
not2fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cali
I have a 19 mos old daughter and her infant carrier fit just fine. Because the front seat flips so far forward I could actually stand inside the car crouching to get her buckled in. It was not difficult, and in fact more comfortable in a way, than sliding her into our Passat sedan. Now that she has graduated to a toddler size Britax seat (huge but safe) it is a squeeze even in the Passat. So the ti will fit her and we have taken day trips in the ti. Fitting a stroller in the back is a bit more challenging!
The stroller delima. That is the whole reason why we have a Passat Wagon instead of my wifes old Volvo S40.

My M3 eater is a turbocharged mid-engine Toyota
http://eyeseephoto.com/events/200406...ross%20038.jpg
not2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 PM   #32
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalha007
Probably not great in snow, but does have TC (standard? not sure)

The ti drives pretty good in the snow for rear wheel drive. I'm buying snow tires this year for my car,usualy use all season tires but they don't plow my street till later in the afternoon when it snows. Damn private property
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #33
not2fast

Well I'm going to look at another one if it has not sold by the time I fly home Friday.

95 318ti 5speed 88k orginal owner.

i created a list of Accord Replacements.

1. 325i Sedan
+: Extra doors and 6
-: no hatch and cost a little more
2. 97+ Honda Prelude (loved these when I graduated from college and took the test drive)
+: Motor and Looks
-: 2-door and no hatch
3. 318ti
+: Looks and Hatch
-: 2-door and motor (can live with it)
4. GSR Sedan
+: 4 doors, tranmission, motor are the best
-: Ricer and most have been abused

Old 10-13-2005, 03:17 AM   #34
not2fast

Well I ended up with a 1992 325i sedan. It is silver with cloth. It is in perfect shape and a one owner that bought it while working in Germany with US spec. Sweet car I'm excited to drive it and dump the Accord.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:39 AM   #35
S10mafia50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBlue
Our cars would have more storage and versatility compared to many 325i sedans due to the fact that no all of their seats fold down. I believe it was a rarely checked option.

I have done fine with my ti in the snow. No traction control and I have the LSD. Just keep your wits about you. It is also a very fun car in the snow, track, parking lot, or wherever else.
If anyone every wants to learn how to drive in the snow, try driving an s10 5speed on ice, With No weight in the Back!!! I think as ong as you have the LSD in the back, and are not trying to drift..... You all will be fine. Good to hear you found a good car!!! sounds like a great one owner find!!!
Andrew
BTW, AlaskaBlue undestands how much fun we can have in parking lots and just driving on ice in general!!!!!!!! It is called Drifting!!!LOL
S10mafia50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:10 AM   #36
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10mafia50
If anyone every wants to learn how to drive in the snow, try driving an s10 5speed on ice, With No weight in the Back!!! I think as ong as you have the LSD in the back, and are not trying to drift..... You all will be fine. Good to hear you found a good car!!! sounds like a great one owner find!!!
Andrew
BTW, AlaskaBlue undestands how much fun we can have in parking lots and just driving on ice in general!!!!!!!! It is called Drifting!!!LOL
This winter will be fun now that I am something like 3 inched off the ground. hehehe I am ready for it to snow.

The snow really isn't an issue unless you want it to be. Most of the time it is a fun issue though.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #37
TiPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10mafia50
Andrew

I had a 98 2.2L 5 speed S-10 before my TI and and I found it easier to drive in the snow than the the 318ti. The TI had alot of trouble just making it out of my neighborhood, where in the S-10 I did't have any problems.
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:03 AM   #38
S10mafia50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPerformance
I had a 98 2.2L 5 speed S-10 before my TI and and I found it easier to drive in the snow than the the 318ti. The TI had alot of trouble just making it out of my neighborhood, where in the S-10 I did't have any problems.
I had a 00' s10 4cyl 5sp, with 3.73's....it was unstable on ice and snowpack...until i bought some goodyear triple treads. My vortec 5sp out performed the 4cyl on ice and snowpack. I dunno why...O wait, LSD!! If you do get in a slide, they seem easy to correct. I hope the ti does the same, as i like my parking lot antics!!!!
Andrew
S10mafia50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 AM   #39
SDKmann

Belive me its fast enough for a daily driver! But if your going to put a picture of that toyota on this site and call it an M3 eater then mabye a BMW isnt right for you. That rice burner may be a few tenths of a second faster then an M3 but at the end of the day they drive home in a BMW and you drive home in a toyota. They win.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:10 AM   #40
aceyx

Don't underestimate the MR2. It was designed by Lotus, and is quite a handful on an autox track where low weight and a short wheelbase have the advantage.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:38 AM   #41
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
Don't underestimate the MR2. It was designed by Lotus, and is quite a handful on an autox track where low weight and a short wheelbase have the advantage.
designed by lotus or lotus engineering consulted on the suspension (like they did with the pontiac fiero ... unfortunately that suspension wasn't used until 1988)?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:14 AM   #42
aceyx

From what I understand, the original MR2 came at a time when Toyota owned a good portion of Lotus. It was kind of a buyout of a model (or rather, the R&D) that then split into the Fiero and MR2.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:31 AM   #43
cali-ti
aka Stabby

btw, the 88 fieros handled VERY well so i guess if the mr2 was similar, that's a pretty good sign. GM decided to go for cheaper options for the front and rear suspension in the early years, finally putting the lotus developed suspension on for 88 (not sure why they bothered since it was almost dead by then, but at least i got a glimpse). time to start saving my pennies for an elise
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:13 AM   #44
aceyx

Oh man, I'm in the same boat with you. This deserves a new thread.

EDIT: There already is one: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5811
Old 12-15-2005, 01:06 AM   #45
SDKmann

Default Toyota MR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
Hey Im not saying that his toyota is slow, and I dont doubt that it can beat an M3. Its just that, if you wanted to, you could make just about any car faster then an M3 with the right parts and lots of money. What Im saying is that why would you want to make a car like a Toyota that fast when you could have a real car instead. BMW's have heritage and are desireable. You can put a jet engine into a Toyota Tracel and make it faster then any BMW, but whats the point? I want a car that is fast and is respectible. Like I said before, this guys' MR2 may be a few tenths of a second faster then an M3,but at the end of the day we drive home in BMWs and he drives home in a Toyota. We win.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote