318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 1,074 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,313,655 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-17-2006, 05:40 AM   #1
AlaskaBlue

Default Suspension upgrades installed

I had several items installed today.

BavAuto rear camber adjusters (eccentric rear trailing arm bushings)
TMS Aluminum subframe bushings
TMS Delrin Diff mount
IE Race urethane motor mounts (thanks cali-ti)
Alignment

I dropped my car off Monday morning and it was finished Tuesday around mid afternoon so it was quite a bit of labor. Labor cost came to 675 which considering all the cost involved was not too bad.

Alignment was done to my request to -1.5 degree camber and 1/16th toe in on the rear. The rear of the car is lowered somewhere between 2.5-3 inches and that was, fortunately for me, as much camber correction as I could get.

Overall the handling was greatly improved because my original bushings were shot and these alumium ones don't allow the subframe to move at all. If I could describe it in one word I would call it 'snappy.' The rear of the car feels firmly planted and the is not as much squat and dive during acceleration and braking. The rear of the car when pushed to the limit is very progressive and controlable as the slip angle at the rear increases. The ride really isn't that bad. I have race seats in the car with little padding and I think it is easily livable.

The motor mounts are my favorite. I know I am not one for luxury but I now have 'masage seats' they are really great. During idle the whole car vibrates, but above 1000 rpms the heavy vibration goes away. The car has much quicker throttle response and feels a little peppier. This may also be cause by the fact that my original motor mounts were shot.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:10 AM   #2
mohaughn

Is this a starting point for your suspension or are you working on top of some already done upgrades? I need to get my tires and brakes sorted out first(to be able to pass a safety inspection) but I plan on following up with more power in the car as well as starting to improve the suspension.

I was actually planning on using my first starting point as frame reinforcements. Both front sub frame, and rear reinforcements or a z3 rear subrame along with an x brace, and front support bracing.

Just so you know I think we are in a similiar circumstance where my car is for track use only. I could care less about long term ride comfort.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:17 AM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

does your whole interior rattle at initial cold idle and starting from a stop? mine does! it definitely does give you a massage, but i'd rather have my gf do that and keep the typical bmw quiet interior

i was wondering what it was like, just forgot to ask sorta like stormos described it as a washing machine?

EDIT: have you done trans mounts yet? if not, those will add an extra little bit of additional noise transfer into the interior, you better get 'em! they do make for nice solid shifts though.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:22 AM   #4
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn
Is this a starting point for your suspension or are you working on top of some already done upgrades? I need to get my tires and brakes sorted out first(to be able to pass a safety inspection) but I plan on following up with more power in the car as well as starting to improve the suspension.

I was actually planning on using my first starting point as frame reinforcements. Both front sub frame, and rear reinforcements or a z3 rear subrame along with an x brace, and front support bracing.

Just so you know I think we are in a similiar circumstance where my car is for track use only. I could care less about long term ride comfort.

I already had KW V3 coil-overs, urethane control arm bushings, meyle control arms, meyle solid metal ball joints, and aluminum rsms as far as suspension goes.

So these suspension mods built on those above.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:25 AM   #5
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Not bad,all you need is an engine swap now.

By the way cool video clip.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:29 AM   #6
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
Not bad,all you need is an engine swap now.

By the way cool video clip.
Thanks There should be another video clip up by sunday evening.

Engine swap is pending. It will either be a S54 into my car or an S54 complete with another car.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:44 AM   #7
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
does your whole interior rattle at initial cold idle and starting from a stop? mine does! it definitely does give you a massage, but i'd rather have my gf do that and keep the typical bmw quiet interior

i was wondering what it was like, just forgot to ask sorta like stormos described it as a washing machine?

EDIT: have you done trans mounts yet? if not, those will add an extra little bit of additional noise transfer into the interior, you better get 'em! they do make for nice solid shifts though.
The whole car shakes, but I don't have any rattles at all...yet. I don't have trans mounts yet, but those are next on the shopping list.

I could kind of say that it is like a washing machine, but its really not that bad.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
DeadpaN

darn it cali why did i listen??? i may have a set of those IE motormounts for sale...........
Old 05-21-2006, 03:22 AM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadpaN
darn it cali why did i listen??? i may have a set of those IE motormounts for sale...........
why did you or why didn't you?

i'm going to pull my UUC poly motor mounts and go back to stock, save them for use in the track car eventually.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 05-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #10
DeadpaN

i'm keeping the tranny mts. but i'll probably run them without the enforcers. and i guess go back to the original plan of Meyle motor mounts.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #11
96 3 1 8 ti

Andy, those mods are the best. I noticed a huge difference after i got my subframe and diff bushings swapped. You may want to consider getting the treehouse eyeball arms, they really take out the "mush" that stock and urethane LCABS have.
sport model, m3 bumper cover, velocity splitter, AKG shift knob, factory clears, super sprint exhaust, UUC floormats, UUC tranny mounts, UUC clutch bushings, UUC shifter bushings, Powerflex LCABS... replaced with treehouse eyeballs, front sway bar bushings, RTABS, TMS rear shock mounts, Bilsteins, Xbrace, sparco strut brace, AKG subframe bushings, AKG differential mount bushing, M coupe shifter, meyle ball joints and sway bar endlinks
96 3 1 8 ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 3 1 8 ti
You may want to consider getting the treehouse eyeball arms, they really take out the "mush" that stock and urethane LCABS have.
they also don't require the lube/glue and "get it on the ground in 30 mins after install" that the stock bushings require, right? slide it into place, bolt it up and that's it, right?

Old 05-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
96 3 1 8 ti

Cali-ti, you are correct. They installed easily. There was no increase in harshness even on rough roads, although they let out a little squeak here and there. All I want now are coilovers!
sport model, m3 bumper cover, velocity splitter, AKG shift knob, factory clears, super sprint exhaust, UUC floormats, UUC tranny mounts, UUC clutch bushings, UUC shifter bushings, Powerflex LCABS... replaced with treehouse eyeballs, front sway bar bushings, RTABS, TMS rear shock mounts, Bilsteins, Xbrace, sparco strut brace, AKG subframe bushings, AKG differential mount bushing, M coupe shifter, meyle ball joints and sway bar endlinks
Old 05-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #14
cali-ti
aka Stabby

cool ... any way to get some lube in there? if so, would it remain on there or more likely be a periodic thing that needs to be done? i don't like squeaks

Old 05-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #15
96 3 1 8 ti

Maybe periodic. I slathered the inner bushings of the eyeball arms with bushing grease left over from my powerflex CABs. I didn't notice any sounds until 2 weeks after greasing them up. I'm sure that the majority of my poly bushings contribute to that squeaking noise.