318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 974,354 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-18-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
flyinace09

Default Possible 318ti buyer

I am living in the Concord area in MA, and after having a tragic death of my Jeep (everyday driver) I am looking at a 318ti for my next car. I like the car a lot... but I was wondering a few things:

1. Does the car have enough "kick" to it to keep you heppy when driving along? I came from a Jeep so I want something with a little more of a fun factor in it for my next work/school car.

2. Can a turbo kit be bought for the 318? I have read a lot about the DASC but I would rather turbo my car than to supercharge it.

3. I read a lot about M3 transplants from the E36 days... problem I see is that you are adding more weight for the car... would it be possible to transplant something like an E30 M3 Euro-spec engine in it? I can find a new engine like that for $2100.

I am looking right now at all the Ti's I can find in this area. I am looking specifically at the ones with a 5spd, the M package (otherwise I think it looks too dull) and most of them are in the 97-98 range. What can I do... what do you think?

Thanks a lot.
Alex
flyinace09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinace09
I am looking specifically at the ones with a 5spd, the M package (otherwise I think it looks too dull) and most of them are in the 97-98 range.
What other features are you looking for... color, price range, etc.?? I've been shopping for a couple of months and I'd be glad to check my cache of info and see if anything matches what you're looking for. Of course, if what you're looking for is too close to what I'm looking for, I'll have to consider you "the competition" and obviously can't give you any leads in that case. ;}

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
I am living in the Concord area in MA, and after having a tragic death of my Jeep (everyday driver) I am looking at a 318ti for my next car. I like the car a lot... but I was wondering a few things:

1. Does the car have enough "kick" to it to keep you heppy when driving along? I came from a Jeep so I want something with a little more of a fun factor in it for my next work/school car.

2. Can a turbo kit be bought for the 318? I have read a lot about the DASC but I would rather turbo my car than to supercharge it.

3. I read a lot about M3 transplants from the E36 days... problem I see is that you are adding more weight for the car... would it be possible to transplant something like an E30 M3 Euro-spec engine in it? I can find a new engine like that for $2100.

I am looking right now at all the Ti's I can find in this area. I am looking specifically at the ones with a 5spd, the M package (otherwise I think it looks too dull) and most of them are in the 97-98 range. What can I do... what do you think?

Thanks a lot.
Alex

There was one in Lexington that i saw on Rt 2a about 2months ago. It was at a small dealership. I don't know if it's still there but it's the next city over from you.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
flyinace09

Any leads would help... I don't want to spend more than $10,500 so I think I am limited to a few cars. Colors don't really bother me but I want it to be a manual, the Sport package (M-front and so-forth), and something less than 100k miles on it. I am very wide-openb about interior and exterior since the more picky I get the more limited I will be in results. I have only found 2 in this area (30 mile radius) so far on the web... so either I am not looking in the right place or thats all there is. I have been surfing autotrader.com and boston.com/cars (or cars.com with a different name) and thats all that has come up. Any more sites?
flyinace09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
I have only found 2 in this area (30 mile radius) that I am interested in looking at.
Wow! I'd be happy to find 2 worth considering within a 300-mile radius!

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
96cali

Quote:
Any leads would help... I don't want to spend more than $10,500 so I think I am limited to a few cars. Colors don't really bother me but I want it to be a manual, the Sport package (M-front and so-forth), and something less than 100k miles on it. I am very wide-openb about interior and exterior since the more picky I get the more limited I will be in results. I have only found 2 in this area (30 mile radius) so far on the web... so either I am not looking in the right place or thats all there is. I have been surfing autotrader.com and boston.com/cars (or cars.com with a different name) and thats all that has come up. Any more sites?
You have a great 1998 for less than 8k near you with a cali roof. called on it last night. It's in the boston area. I'd jump on it if I were you. Look on cars.com.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:53 PM   #7
CirrusSR22

As far as the swap goes, a 6-cylinder with a 5-Speed only weighs about 50 lbs. more that the stock engine with an automatic. The auto tranny is just plain heavier.

Never seen a turbo kit for the M42/M44. But then again, I've never looked

As far a "kick" goes, you will not be happy with an auto, so thankfully you're getting a 5 speed. I've driven both and there's definitely a difference.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote