318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Comments, 994,560 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Let's Double Up the Brake Lights on My '95 ti
Let's Double Up the Brake Lights on My '95 ti
Originally contributed by Bob Collins
Published by 1996 328ti
12-03-2005
Default Let's Double Up the Brake Lights on My '95 ti

After reading about Ron Stygar and others adding brake lights to the non used rear fog lights, I too decided I needed this minor, but very neat modification. I had removed the light assembly before and noticed how easy it would be to add a jumper. I then decided after a quick test of soldering the existing metal conductors, it was going to be troublesome. It was time for some small sheet metal screws and some ring connectors. I ran to Pep Boys and Home Depot to get some parts. At Pep Boys I got the ring connectors #85407 $1.99 and the other bulbs #7506 $1.39. Now to Home Depot for the pan head sheet metal screws and washers. I used #6 x 3/8" screws and 6 x 3.5 medium split washers. Each was $0.78. So far I spent $5.24. I did have some wire and the wire stripper tool and the power drill and metal bits. Once I figured which conductors to jumper, it was a matter of selecting the proper placement of the holes for the ring connectors and the wire route.

The photo shows exactly the conductors to jumper, and the two sides are a mirror image of each other. The wire was less than 4" in length with a ring connector at each end. I used the crimp type connectors. I made two of these and then set up for the drilling. Because of the way the conductors are attached to the plastic assembly, you cannot remove the conductors, so you must be VERY careful to not drill through the conductor and then the plastic! Also when drilling, you must remove all the other bulbs so as to not vibrate the filaments and cause them to break. In the lower locations I used a small block of wood, and the other I just was very careful. I started drilling with a 1/16" bit and made the holes. I worked up to a 3/32" before the screws fit properly. Once that was done I set the ring connectors with a screw and one split washer each. The photos are truly self explanatory. Of course the blue connectors and blue wires...it goes well with the Roundel. ;-)

The additional light is worth the few minutes of time! Many people seem to come too close when they stop behind a ti! Total time of project was one hour. Of course this was my way, feel free to modify as you see fit. I did not upgrade the 15 ampere fuse, but it seems to be holding up well. Ron measured the total current and found it to be ~9 amperes with the added lights.
Tutorial Tools

By CaliDohBoy on 03-30-2006, 09:13 PM

If you are savvy with a soldering iron then you could also solder the wires. I chose black wire, routed it very nicely under everything, then soldered it to the places noted in the picture. All you have to do is sand the solder spot so the solder will "stick".
Comment