318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,092 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,103 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,445 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 131,419 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-03-2005, 06:06 PM   #16
L84THSKY

BMW is known for six cylinders in USA, that is why the 318ti didn't sell well here. However, I lived in Europe for 10 years, and saw many four cylinder models.

To me, cool is a four banger that can fly off the line. It takes more technical know how to squeeze horsepower out of a four cylinder than to just throw in a six. That's why US cars to me are so technically inferior. They can't design a four cylinder with power, so they put in a big guzzler engine. Plus you get better gas mileage with the DASC over the six cylinder.

For me with only 47K miles, I would do a group buy on a DASC, and install it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_hegel
And that is why I want the DASC eventually!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:09 PM   #17
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
When you say beats stock m3's you must be reffering to a 2.5l engine.

Anyone who wants to put a S/C on there car with high mileage and put all that extra strain on your engine go right ahead. Anyone that wants more than 200 hp on there ti will do a swap. If you swap the engines then you can get alot more hp out of your engine with upgrades,for the m42-44 engine there isn't anything you can add onto it to get hp.. The most you'll get is 5hp, Chips are wortless for these engines. If i get a chip on a 2.8l and up we are talking about 15+ hp gain.

I personally would rather save up the extra cash and do a swap. I can get a 3.2l engine with 35k on it for 7-8k and thats with everything you'll need except for trans mission. Thats what i'm saving for,i figure i'll have it swapped by the spring of next year.
If my car had 20,xxx miles on it maybee i'd S/C it.
If I blow my motor (m44) I can get a used one for less than $1500. Even if I have to replace my motor, I will STILL cost less than your motor swap. NickG's software adds more than 5 hp. Take a look at the dyno charts (www.techniquetuning.com).

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #18
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
Not that it's a bad idea, but everyone likes to ask about it just to make their dick feel larger....If you didn't want a 4 cylinder, then why did you get a 318ti.
Given the number of people who have actually done one (or both) of these options I'd say it's more than farting in the wind. I think it's cool to weigh out all the costs/benefits in one thread (as we have with your search for the ultimate LSD). BTW, if you wanted an LSD, vented rotors, alarm, vaders and all the other stuff you've added to your ti why did you buy your Ti?

I can answer in 2 words- California roof!

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #19
L84THSKY

First off, my upgrades are intended to provide as many features and or enhancements that the 318ti came with from the dealer.

LSD, sport seats and alarm where all available features on our cars; mine just didn't come with it.

Actually, I have a stock alarm, I'm just adding features that the car is already capable of, but not enabled.

The Vaders weren't my first choice; I would have preferred the sport seats in all sandbeige leather, but they didn't come in all leather.

Bottom line is I love a peppy four cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cali
BTW, if you wanted an LSD, vented rotors, alarm, vaders and all the other stuff you've added to your ti why did you buy your Ti?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 08-03-2005, 11:57 PM   #20
Dredder

Quote:
Supercharger: Can be installed by anyone with 10 fingers and more than 6 brain cells, retain factory weight distribution and handling, still acts like a high-revving 4 cylinder, 30+ mpg, no need to remove engine, no other upgrades needed, BEATS STOCK M3s.
People here are really getting misinformed. Listen guys, if you ever decide to install the DASC, you will not have a chance to beat a stock m3. Maybe a stock M3 with a retarded driver, that’s a maybe”. Stock dasc dyno at 160rwhp (high guess). Stock M3 @200rwhp
DO the math.
The fastest boosted 318ti in world is Raima with custom supercharger. From his last post I believe he was having a problem with his car "don’t quote me on this cause I know ppl are just waiting to pounce on what I just said"
I’m not here to convince you on your choice of upgrade. People will get the DASC for the power/price aspect, swap for power/performance aspect. And yes, it is your car and nobody will tell you what to do with it.
The bottom line is everyone needs to get informed and do their homework before getting something for our 318ti.

Quote:
BTW, if you wanted an LSD, vented rotors, alarm, vaders and all the other stuff you've added to your ti why did you buy your Ti?
This is the stupidest statement I heard to date. It like me saying, I'm not buying any clothes because I was born without it. Well duh.....checkout the Honda scene guys. People spend $$$ to upgrade their cars. Why, because they want to.
Dredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:10 AM   #21
Dredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler
I can get a 3.2l engine with 35k on it for 7-8k and thats with everything you'll need except for trans mission.
You are absolutely wrong. This is why people think the swap is expensive. You should not be spending more than $4000 for the complete swap kit. Trust me I've done my homework. Even if you were to buy from bavarian exchance. Thier high performance M3 engine is only at $2700 with warranty
Old 08-04-2005, 12:20 AM   #22
needle332rur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
Supercharger: Can be installed by anyone with 10 fingers and more than 6 brain cells, retain factory weight distribution and handling, still acts like a high-revving 4 cylinder, 30+ mpg, no need to remove engine, no other upgrades needed, BEATS STOCK M3s.

Engine swap: Should be installed by a professional $$$, multiple upgrades needed (suspension, brakes, radiator, etc...), front heavy, rear-end can't handle the power, costs about twice what the supercharger does for about the same amount of power, $$$$ invested in a car that doesn't hold value like other BMWs.
Well i guess i have half a brain if i can do a swap myself no prob,

-My m50 will out rev my m42
-You don't need different shock (BMW has same dampening on all 3 series front ends except M3)
-Brake's...well all ti's need em
-radiators cost $180 new from bmw

Last if I here on any BMW forum that "you should have a professional do it" I will flip out. Read, figure, and be confident. This stuff is really not difficult if you take your time and have half a brain

"whatever man has made, man can make again"
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:13 AM   #23
Dredder

comment from bfc
Quote:
What an outstanding story! I hate cocky BM owners, it's always fun to put them in their place either through the twisties (in both our cases), or on the expressway (in your case)...
I know how it feels when you're underpowered at a stop light and another 6cyl BMW(especially M3 onwers) looks at you with that disgusting smirk in their face. You are not going walk away from them with DASC. You are going to need something more.....
Old 08-04-2005, 03:56 AM   #24
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

So...
Is the time/money invested in the swap worth the extra power? I guess untimately that is the question. I'd like to say I'm on the fence, but I'm obviously a tad bit biased toward the DASC kit. I'd love to drive a ti with a 6 cylinder so I could decide for myself.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:59 AM   #25
Dredder

The best investment for my car so far. If you where in the portland area I would definitely get you a chance to drive the sleeper. Then you will realize the difference between the two.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #26
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredder
You are absolutely wrong. This is why people think the swap is expensive. You should not be spending more than $4000 for the complete swap kit. Trust me I've done my homework. Even if you were to buy from bavarian exchance. Thier high performance M3 engine is only at $2700 with warranty

Thats not the site i saw it on. So your telling me i can get a euro 3.2l motor with 35k on it and all the necessary crap to install it except for transmission for $2700?? I hardly doubt that.... I want to buy a running engine not a seized one.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #27
stormos

you can get a whole m3 here for around 5k so i'd imagine he is pretty close.....
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #28
needle332rur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
So...
Is the time/money invested in the swap worth the extra power? I guess untimately that is the question. I'd like to say I'm on the fence, but I'm obviously a tad bit biased toward the DASC kit. I'd love to drive a ti with a 6 cylinder so I could decide for myself.
Thats what need to happen, we need to get some of our cars together and dyno them, check costs, and see whats better. both side have pros and cons.
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #29
L84THSKY

Listen folks, there will always be someone with more money, and more horsepower than you.

So trying to "outdue" everyone is a futile effort. Make your car fit your needs. If the other car can beat me, so what, I am still very satisfied with the way I have personalized my car.

My Triumph motorcycle isn't the fastest bike on the road, but I get more looks and compliments than all the rice rockets and the Hogs combined.

Quote:
comment from bfc

I know how it feels when you're underpowered at a stop light and another 6cyl BMW(especially M3 onwers) looks at you with that disgusting smirk in their face. You are not going walk away from them with DASC. You are going to need something more.....

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 08-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #30
96cali

Quote:
This is the stupidest statement I heard to date. It like me saying, I'm not buying any clothes because I was born without it. Well duh.....checkout the Honda scene guys. People spend $$$ to upgrade their cars. Why, because they want to.
Hardly stupid at all. You're actually agreeing with me but you don't know it, so thanks. His original statement was:

"If you didn't want a 4 cylinder, then why did you get a 318ti."

I was pointing out the dichotomy that if he wanted vaders, why get a ti? Didn't come with them. If he wanted an LSD, why buy post '96 when they weren't offered or buy an e34 LSD, etc etc. Felt like he was criticizing people's individual choice to swap engines. I'm actually pro mod, pro swap, pro do whatever the f*ck you want to do it's your car not a museum piece.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote