318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

.
» Recent Threads
Ultimate Supercharger...
06-23-2019 08:06 AM
Last post by MisterM52
Yesterday 08:40 PM
130 Comments, 219,060 Views
WTB: S50/S52 swapped or...
08-29-2021 04:22 PM
Last post by ZEK
09-15-2021 06:59 PM
6 Comments, 1,545 Views
Running rough
09-13-2021 02:37 PM
Last post by ti-billy
09-13-2021 02:37 PM
0 Comments, 450 Views
What Bolt size for 6Cyl...
09-12-2021 07:53 PM
Last post by ZEK
09-12-2021 07:53 PM
0 Comments, 349 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark
 
Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 01:45 PM  
xxxJohnBoyxxx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gulfport, Florida
Posts: 3,208
iTrader: (1)
Default Air Pump Simulator for 2 Bank all 6 Cylinders

I have created a air pump simulator for all 6 cylinder BMW engines with 2 upstream O2 sensors. It is the same size as the M44 unit but controls both bank 1 & 2 for a 6 cylinder engine. I'm shipping one off today for testing and will post pictures and wiring diagrams when I get some time later...
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
  #45  
By xxxJohnBoyxxx on 04-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Default

Forgot to ask are your O2's wideband cause this will make a big difference on what voltage you need to send the DME. You will need a different pot and clampped voltage
Reply With Quote
  #46  
By cbrf23 on 04-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Default

JohnBoy,
These are narrowband O2s on the upstream.
I already ordered all the parts from digikey. I ordered project boards from Amazon and I ordered a waterproof box and some waterproof connections from Amazon as well (so I can easily disconnect if I need to remove the ECU). I would recommend sourcing a box locally - they are a lot more expensive on Amazon. I won't have time to get to the store this week, so I ordered it so I can get this done.


Also, from the documentation I have these are the expected voltages for the three conditions. This may be vehicle specific, I don't know. Just thought it worth sharing.

Lambda 1 (stoichiometric) 0.45 - 0.5 volts
Lambda 0.8 (lean) approx. 0.1 volts
Lambda 1.2 (rich) approx. 0.9 volts
Reply With Quote
  #47  
By xxxJohnBoyxxx on 04-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf23 View Post
JohnBoy,
These are narrowband O2s on the upstream.
I already ordered all the parts from digikey. I ordered project boards from Amazon and I ordered a waterproof box and some waterproof connections from Amazon as well (so I can easily disconnect if I need to remove the ECU). I would recommend sourcing a box locally - they are a lot more expensive on Amazon. I won't have time to get to the store this week, so I ordered it so I can get this done.


Also, from the documentation I have these are the expected voltages for the three conditions. This may be vehicle specific, I don't know. Just thought it worth sharing.

Lambda 1 (stoichiometric) 0.45 - 0.5 volts
Lambda 0.8 (lean) approx. 0.1 volts
Lambda 1.2 (rich) approx. 0.9 volts
All looks good dude. This should be a piece of cake for you since you did a good amount of reasurch and understand the concept. JohnS
Reply With Quote
  #48  
By cbrf23 on 04-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Default

Had some down time waiting for my new gasket stripping tool to come in so decided to put this together. Here is the result. Took a while to get everything laid out and all the wires connected - if I was going to make more than one I think I'd get some PCBs made!



Reply With Quote
  #49  
By xxxJohnBoyxxx on 04-16-2015, 01:10 AM
Default

Nice work. Clean layout and soldering on the old multi use bread-board
Reply With Quote
  #50  
By runnr548 on 05-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Default

We need to make or buy one for 97 To with a 6cyl transplant. Hmmmm.....
Reply With Quote
  #51  
By xxxJohnBoyxxx on 05-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnr548 View Post
We need to make or buy one for 97 To with a 6cyl transplant. Hmmmm.....

This will work on any car with a SAP. Seems all SAP are checked for a lean condition when the pump turns on...
Reply With Quote
  #52  
By Vanosaurus on 06-23-2015, 11:26 PM
Default

The Radio Shack relay listed (#275-248) has been discontinued since 2012. How would I go about finding a substitute relay in the Radio Shack parts bins?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
By 5liter on 06-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Default Dual 02 simulator

Hey John, can you help me complete my dual 02 sensor simulator. I have connectors from 02 senosrs and I have the harness end from an e36. Both have 4 wires and I dont know which wire of the 4 to use to complete the simulator. Trying to make it plug and play so I dont have to cut or splice.

Rodney
Reply With Quote
  #54  
By DSTedeschi on 07-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Default

I would like to commend the unsung heroes who have invested a lot of time on the design of the SAP and answering questions. It takes a lot of effort and a special commitment to help others. You have my gratitude!

I do have some questions on the source of connector parts. I have always liked the concept of “plug and play” in any system that I have modified. There is so much merit to the un-plug the modification and re-plug back to the standard design.

So I have a few questions:

Are the female and male water proof connectors for the O2 sensors available? If so what are the part numbers?

Is there a water proof end connector that fits into the power plug that powers the Air Pump? If so what are the part numbers?

Thanks,

David
Reply With Quote
  #55  
By xxxJohnBoyxxx on 11-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5liter View Post
Hey John, can you help me complete my dual 02 sensor simulator. I have connectors from 02 senosrs and I have the harness end from an e36. Both have 4 wires and I dont know which wire of the 4 to use to complete the simulator. Trying to make it plug and play so I dont have to cut or splice.

Rodney

You should have 2 wires the same color which are the O2 heater wires one ground (Brown or black) and the remaining wire is your signal wire which is the one you want the simulator to intercept the signal when the DME calls for SAP on.

Just looked up wire colors in the Bentley Manual. Yellow is your signal wire. On my car it is different so if you give me the year and what motor you have I can give you the exact purpose of each wire color.

You will have to cut the O2 signal wire and run them through the simulator. The simulator will intercept the O2 signal and input the correct voltage to fool the DME into thinking the SAP is working when tthe DME calls for SAP, when the DME turns off SAP the simulator becomes a pass-through device or in other words it connects the cut signal wire on the O2 so the car can run lambda control by smelling the exhaust or basically running like the O2 signal wire was never cut.

Best of luck, John S
Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 11-09-2015 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #56  
By ez.black.e36 on 07-10-2021, 06:24 AM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf23 View Post
Had some down time waiting for my new gasket stripping tool to come in so decided to put this together. Here is the result. Took a while to get everything laid out and all the wires connected - if I was going to make more than one I think I'd get some PCBs made!



Hello,
I apologize for reviving such an old thread but I was wondering if you could provide a list of the parts you used as well as a diagram? I really like the way yours turned out looks wise and it seems a lot simpler overall. (no offense towards anyone else) If you could do that it would be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully, Ethan
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Tutorial: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Tutorial Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Tutorial Tutorial Starter Category Comments Last Post
Air Pump Simulator DIY for $12.45 xxxJohnBoyxxx Knowledge Base 114 07-18-2018 06:15 PM
Air Pump Simulator xxxJohnBoyxxx Electrical 22 01-30-2011 06:59 PM
Starts on three and a half cylinders! calamiti Engine 2 11-30-2007 04:30 PM
Here is something that may be worth tapping into that piggy bank..... sublimeti Lounge 1 08-08-2006 08:02 AM
Where to Buy Quality Parts that won't Break the Bank STR1CK Misc 12 05-10-2005 12:19 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:02 PM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2021, 318ti.org

Tutorial powered by GARS 2.1.8m ©2005-2006
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 84.20 k/110.71 k (23.95%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.