318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 105,915 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 68,878 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,116 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
neild

Default My 3.2 Compact Build slr,bc etc etc

Wasnt really sure where to put this but wanted to share my build for this year

Having had a good few compacts in the last few years, This one was basically going to be built with a lot of testing new equipment for when I build my ls2 compact later this year. Have a play and see what works and what doesn’t

So having seen this 318ti compact come up close by and it was a decent price with a long ticket on it jumped in the truck and collected.

I already had its new heart sitting in my container, Driftworks BDC driver Richard Grinrods 3.2 evo engine from his m3.
Car was fired down to my mates on the border and engine was put in. Conversion was easy enough only sticking point was the ecu as far as I was aware it was already ews deleted but couldn’t figure out why the car would start but kept cutting out. Up to my mate Gaz who is a wiz on ecu’s and a few hours later it was alive.

Now that the engine was running mint, it was time to concentrate on getting the car to a point of being able to do a skid.

Choice of diff for this one for now was my 4.44 out one of my old compacts, ebay coilovers I had sitting, Hydro fitted and threw in my track culture seat and a harness and went and had a play 

Now that I was happy with the running of the car it was time to take it back off the road and the build could begin

Up step Kyle @chizfab being good friends and neighbours with my bodyshop next door car was booked in
Spec list till now
: Standard body 318ti compact
: interior stripped, track culture bucket seat
: Sparco Harness
: 4.44 welded diff
: ebay coilovers
: pair of front schnitzer 17x8.5j
: cut hubs
:20mm spacers
Chizfab hydro

Work the car was going into chizfab for:
Interior:
: 2 x Cobra evolution S seats
: driftworks seat frames
: genuine Nardi Deep corn leather steering wheel with Driftworks quick release
: Storm Gearknob

neild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
neild

Drivetrain:
: Full car polybushed
: Front crash bar fabricated
: mocal oil cooler relocation behind the crash bar
: SLR ultra angle steering kit (first one in the uk)
: BC coilovers
: Diff mount changed from single mount to twin mount and the 4.44 diff backing plate changed to match
: Aust fab rear self centering main bush
: Braided brake lines

Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
neild

Exterior:
: Custom Fabricated front wings to make the most of the Angle the steering kit gives
: Rondell skid wheels which I have painted 17x8.5j and 17x10j
: Oz futura wheels all polished 17x8.5j and 10j
: rear arches flared to within an inch of their lives

Basically that’s where the car is just now, plans over next couple of weeks is to find time to get it back into my shop and do the following……
: Full paint in Laguna Seca
: BN rear window spoiler
: e46 csl rear boot spoiler modded to fit e36 compact bootlid

I am competing in the GFH street legal competition end of May so plan is use car for that then back off the road to get cage fitted and few other bits. See how the year goes and will freshen up all the underside parts with a fresh powder coat

Oh and last thing I now have my mint compact shell for my LS build 

Comments welcome thanks Neil
Old 03-15-2015, 03:10 AM   #4
anassa

Vehicles

WoW! !

That is one hell of a build. I think some video of it playing around should be posted!

Are most of the UK 318ti undercarriages that... uhm, rusted and beat? Maybe because I am lucky with living in a non snow/salt area I haven't seen anything like that.

That angle kit also looks very very nice, some hard work seems to have been put in that. Good to see E36's and Ti's getting more support in that regard, especially in comparison to s13/s14 etc that have tons of choices for those kinds of things.

Again nice build and looking forward to updates and how it turns out.

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
neild

Thanks mate, to be honest this was supposed to be a budget build as in the process of starting my ls2 compact build. But once the engine was in this as a practise car i kind of got carried away. It is not the best shell but it is a bit of a test shell for what will and won't work on the next car which is a super clean shell Scottish roads get hit pretty hard with the salt once im not using it in the winter think i shall get alot of powdercoating done underneath A little bit more of an update its back on the ground and back in my bodyshop to make a start to the bodywork and get some fresh paint. Then its drift time! will be plenty of vids
Old 03-16-2015, 01:10 AM   #6
anassa

Vehicles

Love it! I like the pure utilitarian style.

"Budget" builds always end up costing more lol, best part of the budget builds is that those are the builds where normally the creativity comes out.

Just wondering why the BC coilovers? Why not Gaz or Groundcontrol? did you just have those lying around? Also I see that you have the subframe risers, how much did that help with the rear toe/camber?

Lastly your running a ZF trans right? It seems crazy to run a 4.44 diff.

Even more important:
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
Old 03-16-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
John Nicholson

Since this is a test car, we can test how long that small case diff will hold up with the s52. I give it about 4 track days.
John Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nicholson View Post
Since this is a test car, we can test how long that small case diff will hold up with the s52. I give it about 4 track days.
Small case? oh geez I didn't even look at it properly, is that really a small case with those dinky axles?

On top of that.. its not a s52 its a real s50! Most likely built too . . 4.44 with most likely over 300whp on those dinky axles

Even more important:
Old 03-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
neild

Quote:
Originally Posted by anassa View Post
Small case? oh geez I didn't even look at it properly, is that really a small case with those dinky axles?

On top of that.. its not a s52 its a real s50! Most likely built too . . 4.44 with most likely over 300whp on those dinky axles
it was rolling roaded at just over 320bhp its a nimble track that i am regular at called driftland over here and scotland. it skids effortlesly in third and fourth which i prefer over 2nd and 3rd.

It has been upgraded to twin mountings so test is more to see if they hold better than the single
Old 03-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
neild

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nicholson View Post
I have done three days already so suppose the next one will tell
Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
neild

Quote:
Originally Posted by anassa View Post
Love it! I like the pure utilitarian style.

"Budget" builds always end up costing more lol, best part of the budget builds is that those are the builds where normally the creativity comes out.

Just wondering why the BC coilovers? Why not Gaz or Groundcontrol? did you just have those lying around? Also I see that you have the subframe risers, how much did that help with the rear toe/camber?

Lastly your running a ZF trans right? It seems crazy to run a 4.44 diff.
Sorry to answer the bc question im a stockist for them so always have a set or two sitting here. I will be going with something more substantial on the bigger build this was as i said a budget build
Yeah its a zf box the thoughts behind the the diff is now i have the twin mount i will chop and change between small case and medium case depending on what track i am doing
Old 03-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
neild

Thats the car back on the Rondell front wheels i'm into them!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:18 AM   #13
samdemange

Vehicles

great job,its a home made mount with just a second oem support for ur diff or all the black painted piece was modified and reinforced ??
Old 03-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #14
jca

Sick!
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #15
neild

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdemange View Post
great job,its a home made mount with just a second oem support for ur diff or all the black painted piece was modified and reinforced ??
The rear diff mounts one is the genuine single mount and the other has been fabricated and reinforced yeah