318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,226 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,063 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,458 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
ElmoPerkins

Post Knock sensors and mess under the intake project

1st time posting. Glad to be a part of the ti community. A few moths ago I purchased a black 95 ti 5spd m42 w/ active package. I was also happy to find out it has a factory lsd! Got a real good deal on it because it had 205k mi on the odometer, and of course had some issues. It idles poorly on cold start and almost stalls. Also if the car idles for a few minutes the cel will light up. One blip of the throttle and cel goes away. Being a bmw tech, I have access to all the diagnostic equipment, etc.

So I hooked it up and found fc: 1226 knock sensor 2. I could visually see #1 is coming apart so I assume #2 is doing the same. Weeks of research and chats with the e36 guys at the shop, I'm pretty much on my own and was told it would be a pita to replace them. While in there replacing the knock sensors with genuine bmw ones, I wanted to tackle the "mess under the intake" and modify a few things to make it less of a mess.

It took about 3 hours but I managed to remove the lower intake manifold to take a good look at everything. I literally touched knock sensor 2 and it fell apart lol. Also i checked over all the rubber tubes for the icv and ccvv. The hoses seem old but where sealed and not leaking when I smoke tested the intake before I did anything. I also did the "shake test" for the icv and don't get much movement at all. I cannot even move it by hand inside with a screw driver. So I'd say it would be a good idea to replace the icv.

As far as the mess under the intake, not much can be done. I plan on replacing the plastic coolant pipe even though it looks new, most of the coolant hoses and bypass the intake spacer heater "t-body heater for you m44 people" I saw someone on a forum use a m44 coolant hose to fit the upper nipple on the plastic pipe back to the cylinder head. I purchased forementioned hose and attempted to see how it could possibly work as a bypass. there was no way. So I looked at it with the original hose installed and it looks as if i can simply cut it short and route it back to the cylinder head instead of the upper intake spacer. It seems so simple and has the different size hose ends and all. I will update if this turns out to work.

The fuel injectors and inlet ports in the cylinder head look surprisingly clean for the mileage. I plan on cleaning further and cleaning the injectors per that pelican parts diy.

The DISA vacuum lines are in need of replacement so i will be refreshing all those lines.

i have photos but none uploaded to photobucket. Unless there is another way to upload. I'm not very forum savvy. My goal was to put some information out there that I was trying to gather but fell short. Just going for it and seeing what needs done to move onto the next step. But for all the info that was useful, I'd like to thank everyone for that. It's all about helping each other out right? I will update as this project progresses.
ElmoPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
BlackBMWs

Vehicles

Sweet! Welcome and I have totally been there with my M42 active as well. Renewed all that a few years ago and it has run solid.

Good luck with yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1998 318ti Sport - "Cali" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior, Cali top
1998 318ti Sport - "Max" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior, S52
1997 318ti Sport - "Tiny" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior
1995 318ti Active - "Blanca" Alpineweib III/Schwartz leather interior

Other Current Bimmers: 2006 530i / 2000 2.3L Z3 / 1997 1.9L Z3 / 1999 540it

1997 318ti Sport - "Huera" - RIP
1995 318ti Active - RIP
1995 318ti Sport - "Tiny" Sold
1994 325i Sedan - "Jade" - Sold
1991 318ic - "Bert" - Sold
1985 635csi sold
1984 533i "Max" Sold
1984 318i sold

BMWCCA #160411

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
BlackBMWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
ElmoPerkins

Thanks! A few other things I forgot to mention. I was hoping this mess under the intake would fix a potential WOT hesitation it has. 3/4 throttle the power is linear and pulls like WOT should. But when you floor it, it wants to stumble. I was told by the previous owner that he "tweaked" the AFM by adjusting it.

I've seen people fix their idle by adjusting the AFM but then then the whole thing is out of calibration I would assume? Would that mess with power dilevery at WOT?

Another thing I'm trying to fix is a coolant leak. I have coolant dripping from the rubber vents on the firewall with my pressure tester on it. It looks like the plastic piece for the heater core output is leaking. Not sure if it's just the plastic piece and o-rings are leaking or if the heater core assembly is leaking. I was gonna replace the plastic piece and o-rings and see what happens. I've heard of heater cores leaking inside and bursting on people's foot and burning them, but I have no leaks inside the cabin.
ElmoPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
ElmoPerkins

Just an update of my project. Lots of new parts in a box ready to be installed and put this beast back together.

I found coolant leaking at the plastic connector on the firewall going to the heater core. I am attempting to bypass the t-body cooler and replace the plastic connector at the firewall with new o-rings and pressure test it. Hope to save $100 and not have to replace the heater core too.

More to come...

Old 03-25-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
ElmoPerkins

After a long wait on parts, I'm finally starting to put her back together. Got bank 1 and 2 knock sensors replaced along with just about every coolant hose under the intake.

I was also able to bypass the intake spacer heater circuit by cutting the hose that comes off the plastic coolant pipe (the one that points up) and cut it to length and installed it back to the block. Simple. Pressure tested and checked clearances after the xmas tree wiring harness in the middle of the intake. The hose does touch the connector for knock sensor 1 but should not be a problem.

I do have a coolant leak after replacing the t-stat. I'm not sure what happened but under pressure with my tester, it leaks by the gasket. I just used the bmw gasket for the flange and the t-stat came with a new o-ring. I cleaned all the mating surfaces thoroughly. Is it possible the flange is warped?

Tomorrow I am replacing all the injector o-rings and installing new rubber fuel line to the rail. I'm also replacing all the icv hoses with new vacuum lines for the entire engine. New intake boot as well. This baby should run like a champ when it's finished.

More to come.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #6
ElmoPerkins

All new o-rings for the injectors. Cleaned up nicely and look like new.

"Squid" installed. Worst part of the job imo.

ICV with new hoses in place. Used hose clamps to make sure no leaks. Might be overkill but not taking any chances.

New genuine CCVV with hoses since the old one had no o-ring when I took it off. Also was leaking during the smoke test.

Upper intake is back on!

T-body back on! Getting close!

And she is all back together and running!

Looking good!

Not too bad for over 200k miles.

Before setting off on the test drive, I let it run for a good 30 minutes. I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from stalling. It runs smooth. But it will not idle. The AFM has been adjusted before I owned it so its not factory set. I fiddled with it some and once up to operating temp, it seems to hold idle at 800 with no problems.

I fired it up the next morning to find the same thing. Fires up and stalls. Have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it alive. While it was still cold, I disconnected the ICV and the idle revs up to around 1000-1100 rpm. Now the check engine light is on most likely from the ICV disconnection. While running, I plugged the ICV back in and the Rpms drop and the engine almost stalls again. Disconnected it and engine come back to stable idle. I readjusted the AFM with the ICV disconnected to lower the rpms back down to 700-800 rpm.

Went for a test drive with no issues. Car no longer hesitates at WOT and power is smooth and linear. Coming to a stop with clutch in. Idle stabilizes around 900-1000 rpm. It's a bit high but at this point, I'm not sure why the engine can run better with the ICV disconnected. I bench tested it and with 12v applied it activated to closed position. No power and it springs open but not very much. The opening is much smaller than the ICV I'm used to seeing on a E46. Not sure if this is Bc of 4cyl vs 6cyl and more cylinders need more air to idle theory.

At this point, I'll leave the ICV disconnected until I can do more tests and check some sensor telemetry with the diagnostic system at work. Good thing about being a BMW tech, I get the latest and greatest version of ISTA. Yeah it still works on the old stuff but info is limited.

What do y'all think about this idle issue? Brain storm requests would be appreciated. Thanks for checking out my project.