318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-18-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Heated Door Lock Question.........

Today was a very cold day in NY. I opened the car with my keyless entry and started the car. I then tried to use my other set of keys to lock the doors, while the car is warming up in the driveway. The key would not turn in the door, must be frozen. Doesn't the car heat the locks? Could that function be faulty, how do I know?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
GDB

That was only on the cars with a cold weather package. And to heat the locks you have to pull up on the door handle while the car is locked, holding it up is what triggers the heater. If you're not sure if you have to cold weather package then look in the passenger side brake duct for a flat, round sensor, if it's there then you have the cold weather package.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:15 AM   #3
hubrisin

It's pretty cold here in Columbus Ohio, in fact after coming out of a movie my door lock was frozen and wouldn't turn. Instead of forcing it and posibly damaging it, I just used the hatch lock to open the car. When I get out of work, my locks are stiff and need to be turned carefully.
hubrisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
BMWDRIFTER

my car has that sensor, i was wondering what it was for. I knew I would learn something new today. anybody need heated door locks
BMWDRIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:03 AM   #5
AlaskaBlue

After the inch or so of ice was left on my car the keyless entry did no good because there was still an inch of ice covering the door handle. So hitting the hatch button in hard enough to break the ice and then lifting up the hatch was the only way in.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:34 AM   #6
1996 328ti

Vehicles

There never was a cold weather package. I thought all cars had heated door locks.
Pull up the handle for a few seconds.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
L84THSKY

I did as I tried yesterday. I started the car with my valet key, but this time I locked the car outside with the trunk lock, works great. No worries about breaking the key, trunk lock wasn't stuck like the doors were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBlue
After the inch or so of ice was left on my car the keyless entry did no good because there was still an inch of ice covering the door handle. So hitting the hatch button in hard enough to break the ice and then lifting up the hatch was the only way in.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 01-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #8
L84THSKY

That's what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
There never was a cold weather package. I thought all cars had heated door locks.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #9
L84THSKY

Are you offering the parts for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDRIFTER
my car has that sensor, i was wondering what it was for. I knew I would learn something new today. anybody need heated door locks

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
rendoll911

does that mean all TIs heated washer nozzles too?
rendoll911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:53 PM   #11
L84THSKY

Default Found the answers.............

1997 BMW Features
Ergonomics, Luxury and Convenience

FEATURE
Heated Outside Mirrors, Windshield-Washer Jets and Driver's Door Lock
This package is standard on the 318ti, M3 and all 5*-, 7*- and 8 Series models; it is included with the optional heated front seats of 318 and 328 Sedan, Coupe and Convertible models.

When the outside temperature drops below a specific level, the mirrors and washer jets are automatically heated if the ignition key is on (position 2). The user activates the door-lock heating by first lifting the door handle, then waiting a short while for any ice to be melted. After a certain interval, a timer switches off the heating to ensure that the battery is not drained.

*5- and 7 Series do not have the heated door lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendoll911
does that mean all TIs heated washer nozzles too?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-19-2005, 08:18 PM   #12
rendoll911

well i guess its time for me to get that sensor.. maybe this is why my heated mirrors dont always work. Anyone know the part #?
Old 01-20-2005, 02:32 AM   #13
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendoll911
well i guess its time for me to get that sensor.. maybe this is why my heated mirrors dont always work. Anyone know the part #?
Mirrors are always on, regardless of the sensor.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #14
L84THSKY

Cold day in NY again. This time I tried the heated door locks. I walked up to the car, lifted the handle and waited a few seconds. At first, the key wouldn't turn, but after another 10 seconds, the key started to turn. Then it moved like butta!
So in my estimation, the heated door locks do work as advertised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #15
rendoll911

alright i found out that my mirrors do work but only one is warm enough to melt ice.. is there any way to repair this or do i need to buy a new mirror