318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 985,343 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #16
30yrMbr

Vehicles

One of the causes of the loose rear suspension, and attendant oversteer is the trailing arm bushing becoming soft and too compliant. You should look to replace the trailing arm bushing with some new/better design. I put the K-Mac adjustable bushings into my Z3 Coupe, which has the same suspension design as the Ti. Made a huge improvement in the handling, dialed out the alignment movement due to the compliance in the bushings. Plus you can adjust the camber and toe at the rear, which you cannot do on the E30 trailing arm suspension design.

The strong strut will help, but not totally fix the alignment changes due to the trailing arm movement from the soft bushings.

Time to get them checked out and replaced if need be

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/54...27_clipped.jpg
30yrMbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:20 AM   #17
newagecustoms

someone please pm me if these are going to be available, I am going to start slowly building my suspension for track and this sounds like something to get.
newagecustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:40 AM   #18
Moose

Not sure a rear strut brace would do that much. On the other hand it couldn't hurt. I would def' cut back on the cargo space. The weak points you need to dial in on the the ti' are rear trailing arms/ bushings and lower mounts.

I've seen quick release rear strut bars on WRX wagons...sorta' like quick release hubs on a bike. On my STi I had a Cusco rear strut bar with 2 extra bars going at 45 degrees to the trunk floor. Stiff as hell and of course limited my cargo area. That car was pushing 335/345 at the wheels and needed all the support I could add short of seam welding the chassis

However everyone I've talked to and every review I've read love the lower Strong Strut bar for our cars (and Z3's). These f'rs are BEEFY! Right now at 148k and the rear end of my ti' feels soft, flabby and Oprahlike' (eeeeew). The front tracks but ass end just wobbles

I will also be upgrading my rear sway bar (bigger than the 19 mm H & R that's on there), brakes, wheel bearings, trailing arm bushings, and sub frame bushings, On top of all that my recently arrived Diffsonline 3.15 LSD will be going in too. Total ass end mod fest woot.

Job rating: 3 pizzas, 1 Case of Sierra Ale, 1/4 oz

I won't be making more than one....maybe 2. My freinds shop is pretty busy and it's costing me a ton of beer and pizza to get this done. Cold rolled steel is fairly pricey. If you go to a metal yard pick up a scrap and have it bent at a shop...then fab up the hardware yourself. Cheep Alot better than the 300 bucks Strong Strut wants
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #19
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
1 Case of Sierra Ale
Win.

Thats quite a list of parts you have there to go on, I wish I had those kinds of things waiting for my car!! So why did you go with a diffsoline unit instead of just going with a used LSD?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #20
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Win.

Thats quite a list of parts you have there to go on, I wish I had those kinds of things waiting for my car!! So why did you go with a diffsoline unit instead of just going with a used LSD?
I wish. Of course my dream would be a custom Quaife

..actually it is a used dif. I asked Dan a month ago to watch out for a tight low mileage 3.15 LSD/E30 axels for my car. I paid ahead of time. I came home today and bam there was 2 boxes waiting for me. One with the sweet looking diff and one with the nearly new axels and new hardware. I checked it over and everything looks to be in great shape.

I now have all the parts for the 'Ass End Mod Fest'.

I'll be selling my 19mm H&R rear bar soon if you anyone who wants it
Old 06-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #21
SDKmann

Quote:
I'll be selling my 19mm H&R rear bar soon if you anyone who wants it
How much?
Old 06-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #22
Moose

Old 06-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #23
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Not to crash the party... but anyone consider the dangers of a butt-strut?

It is a great idea but it hangs WAY too low. Catch a manhole cover or go over an apex curb and it will make one hell of a mess.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #24
thesk8nmidget

that is a good point!
it may be a good idea to make like a triangle so if it was to hit at all it could help slide it over the bar instead of catch and rip
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #25
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
that is a good point!
it may be a good idea to make like a triangle so if it was to hit at all it could help slide it over the bar instead of catch and rip
The exhaust makes things difficult as it passes under the sub frome cross member. The butt-strut drops down far enough so that the pipe passes between the butt-strut and the sub frame.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #26
thesk8nmidget

oh wow. thats no good. my exhaust will rub a little on a certain driveway by my house. i need to fix that thanks for reminding me

were slow at work today.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #27
newagecustoms

Quote:
Not sure a rear strut brace would do that much. On the other hand it couldn't hurt. I would def' cut back on the cargo space. The weak points you need to dial in on the the ti' are rear trailing arms/ bushings and lower mounts.

I've seen quick release rear strut bars on WRX wagons...sorta' like quick release hubs on a bike. On my STi I had a Cusco rear strut bar with 2 extra bars going at 45 degrees to the trunk floor. Stiff as hell and of course limited my cargo area. That car was pushing 335/345 at the wheels and needed all the support I could add short of seam welding the chassis

However everyone I've talked to and every review I've read love the lower Strong Strut bar for our cars (and Z3's). These f'rs are BEEFY! Right now at 148k and the rear end of my ti' feels soft, flabby and Oprahlike' (eeeeew). The front tracks but ass end just wobbles

I will also be upgrading my rear sway bar (bigger than the 19 mm H & R that's on there), brakes, wheel bearings, trailing arm bushings, and sub frame bushings, On top of all that my recently arrived Diffsonline 3.15 LSD will be going in too. Total ass end mod fest woot.

Job rating: 3 pizzas, 1 Case of Sierra Ale, 1/4 oz

I won't be making more than one....maybe 2. My freinds shop is pretty busy and it's costing me a ton of beer and pizza to get this done. Cold rolled steel is fairly pricey. If you go to a metal yard pick up a scrap and have it bent at a shop...then fab up the hardware yourself. Cheep Alot better than the 300 bucks Strong Strut wants
I understand, would you mind sending me the specs if the one you make comes out good? I have access to all of the equipment needed to make one at my shop, just never thought about it (and I don't have my lift installed yet so measuring tends to be a pain in the ass laying on the ground!)
newagecustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #28
Moose

^will do. I will also be posting pics and dimensions so anyone can whip one out. About the clearance issue...it might take away an inch. Teh exaust goes over it and since I have a stock ride height I should be cool

I might also be looking to pick up some beefier exaust hangers to keep the tail section from bonking the SB' bar. The stock hangers are wimpy and flimsy and really need to go. Doh! damn another part to buy for the ass end mod fest
Old 06-28-2008, 03:16 AM   #29
SDKmann

I cant wait for your ass end mod fest to start so I can start mine too!

Yeah but if you could write up something on rear strut bar in the Knowledge Base that would be awesome, Im sure more people will want to try this after you get yours done, including me.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:54 AM   #30
thesk8nmidget

i need to pull my whole rear sub frame and do some rust prevention/bushing replacement. lots of worn out bushing and rubber pieces back there. it makes for a sloppy rear end.

what are you gonna run for rear sub fram bushing? stock or upgraded.