318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,638 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,562 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,811 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-21-2005, 05:22 AM   #61
robcarync

yes, thanks steven...

i beleive the metal track is part 12...and if you notice on the bottom right it has the little rectangleish thing stick out...that attatches to the back of the track...and what i had to do was drill a hole in the track...and drill a holl in the rectangle plate...and use a really tiny bolt/nut and bolted that sucker together.
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:53 PM   #62
joshydee

sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you know when its come off track. I have a 1998 316 compact and the window goes up fine (little slow) then when coming down struggles to a point then moves freee again. is this my regulator?
thanks
josh
joshydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #63
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Could be a bad sign.
I'd suggest somekind of silicon spray on the rubber guide and along the tracks that the window slides up and down through. That reminds me. I am having the same problem. I'll listen to my own advice.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:16 AM   #64
JPerfect

Exclamation Don't go buying anything yet!

I had this happen to me last weekend. I was in the parking lot at my school, and my window just about fell into my door. I said oh crap, and eventually with some finesse, propped it back up, and it locked in place closed. I left it like this for a few days, but the sun was starting to make me sweat my ass off in my car even with the passenger side window open and the sunroof.

So on Wednesday, I parked in my driveway and said "the hell with this... if it's going to be fixed, it's going to be fixed now." I pushed the button to roll down the window, and to my surprise... the window went down... straight down with the force of gravity to the bottom of the inside of my door.

After cursing violently for about 2 minutes, i took the doorpanel off, which is a sinch, only broke one plastic clip... You have to pull it away from the door on the bottom, and on the top by the window, you actually have to pull it up, as to move it over your doorlock. Then you disconnect your Mirrors wire, and take a look.

I noticed that the metal tracks that the window connects to the actuator/regulator with, were FILTHY. Years of dirt and grime actually seized a part that needs to slide in a track connected to the window, in order for the window to open properly. So i took off some weatherstripping, and removed the whole glass.

I grabbed a wirebrush, a toothbrush, some Q-Tips, some grease/grime remover, some chassis grease, and a towel and got to work. I cleaned all of these mechanisms, scraping away all of the crust. When i saw the metal again on the tracks, i made sure everything was lubed up good, and i re-assembled it. I greased everything up reallly good so that there was NO friction.

The reason the window fell was because... well on the bottom of the glass, there are two tracks. In each track, goes a slider. The slider needs to move freely through the tracks. Connecting the sliders to the actual Power Window Regulator, is a Ball Joint. When the slider seizes, the ball joint pops out, causing one side of the window to fall. As you can imagine, when one side falls, the other will follow eventually.

Needless to say, when i put it back together, it ended up breaking again. So i took it all apart, sprayed EVERYTHING WITH LITHIUM GREASE, re-assembled, and called it a day. That day has now been a week, and after continuous use, i can proudly say that it works better than it ever has, no clicks/shifts/scrapes...

So don't go replacing things you don't have to...

My fix took two hours (because i didn't apply the lithium grease the first time) and cost nothing because i had all of the supplies. You can scrape the crap off with a screwdriver if you really had to, then get grime remover and use a toothbrush to finish it off. You must use something equivalent to chassis grease for the track, since it seems to have to be thick.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Jeff
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:53 AM   #65
aceyx

is anyone else having problems with the track having "burrs" on it? my sliders won't move around very well, and get caught at certain points. i feel this is why my regulator has been replaced yearly (under warranty, thank god).

i'm going to redo the entire thing sometime this summer since i'll have my dremel back. replacing all weatherstripping at the same time (car has 140k miles). i also want to clean off any rust that may have developed inside the door panel, since i know water gets down in there.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #66
bradley rouse

i used a c clamp t staighten the retainer arm, and have the clips on but i am having trouble getting the window to stay on the front track. I found the 'guide felt' in the bottom of the door. where does it go?
bradley rouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:18 AM   #67
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley rouse
i used a c clamp t staighten the retainer arm, and have the clips on but i am having trouble getting the window to stay on the front track. I found the 'guide felt' in the bottom of the door. where does it go?
You will see a guide towards the rear of the window. Glue it back into place.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 05-24-2005, 02:49 AM   #68
barische

well today i called our mechanic and told him taht the both doors clips are broken, the regulators are fine, but the passenger side window might also be broken at the bottom of it too so we'll see when i take the car to the shop this week. also has to fix the windshield rubber, i have a vacumm leak so the car is really pissin me off lately and the coolant pump seems to be makin weird noises so i might have to get that changed too. so overall its gonna cost me hell alotta money. i always thought bmws were good realiable cars, but now i start to think otherwise. noone else windows break down ever.

wish me luck that it wont cost alot cuz im broke as hell.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:17 AM   #69
cali-ti
aka Stabby

good luck barische. i've had the "luck" to own my car since new so i know what has been done (or not) and what care has been taken in maintaining it. the only window problem i've had was after clipping a deer. hopefully it won't cost you too much man ...
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:16 AM   #70
denissef

Exclamation Uh-oh!

I just bought a 95 318 ti last week and the same day I took the car home, the window fell.... I had to take it back to the dealer, they told me that the "clip" that holds the window was broken, so they replaced it. I don't like the fact that I have to go back to the dealer because they couldn't put the cover back because the clips or whatever they are called that hold the cover to the door were breaking so they had to get others, so yeah they sent me home with the cover attached to the door with just the door know. This sucks, hopefully they will put it back and leave my car looking the way it looked before.

It is amazing to see how common is this window problem with this car!!!!!!! And to see how many times the problem can become a problem again, and how expensive is to fix it!!!!

Holly crap!

But I still love my little car!
denissef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:24 AM   #71
denissef

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPerfect
I had this happen to me last weekend. I was in the parking lot at my school, and my window just about fell into my door. I said oh crap, and eventually with some finesse, propped it back up, and it locked in place closed. I left it like this for a few days, but the sun was starting to make me sweat my ass off in my car even with the passenger side window open and the sunroof.

So on Wednesday, I parked in my driveway and said "the hell with this... if it's going to be fixed, it's going to be fixed now." I pushed the button to roll down the window, and to my surprise... the window went down... straight down with the force of gravity to the bottom of the inside of my door.

After cursing violently for about 2 minutes, i took the doorpanel off, which is a sinch, only broke one plastic clip... You have to pull it away from the door on the bottom, and on the top by the window, you actually have to pull it up, as to move it over your doorlock. Then you disconnect your Mirrors wire, and take a look.

I noticed that the metal tracks that the window connects to the actuator/regulator with, were FILTHY. Years of dirt and grime actually seized a part that needs to slide in a track connected to the window, in order for the window to open properly. So i took off some weatherstripping, and removed the whole glass.

I grabbed a wirebrush, a toothbrush, some Q-Tips, some grease/grime remover, some chassis grease, and a towel and got to work. I cleaned all of these mechanisms, scraping away all of the crust. When i saw the metal again on the tracks, i made sure everything was lubed up good, and i re-assembled it. I greased everything up reallly good so that there was NO friction.

The reason the window fell was because... well on the bottom of the glass, there are two tracks. In each track, goes a slider. The slider needs to move freely through the tracks. Connecting the sliders to the actual Power Window Regulator, is a Ball Joint. When the slider seizes, the ball joint pops out, causing one side of the window to fall. As you can imagine, when one side falls, the other will follow eventually.

Needless to say, when i put it back together, it ended up breaking again. So i took it all apart, sprayed EVERYTHING WITH LITHIUM GREASE, re-assembled, and called it a day. That day has now been a week, and after continuous use, i can proudly say that it works better than it ever has, no clicks/shifts/scrapes...

So don't go replacing things you don't have to...

My fix took two hours (because i didn't apply the lithium grease the first time) and cost nothing because i had all of the supplies. You can scrape the crap off with a screwdriver if you really had to, then get grime remover and use a toothbrush to finish it off. You must use something equivalent to chassis grease for the track, since it seems to have to be thick.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Jeff
Wow, this is interesting... and I have a question, what is lithium grease for?
My driver window fell the first day I took my car home, so they fixed at the dealer, but the couldn't put the doorpanel back, because the plastic clips were breaking, what year is your car?
thanks
denissef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:13 AM   #72
tonymasone

I didn't read all the replies, but I do know the problem isn't usually with the regulator itself, my 1996 318ti had both windows pop off track within a week, crazy. It's not the regulator itself, it's the little white plastic clips that hold the regulator on the tracks of the window, they get a big friction build up. What you need to do is get some grease and lube it up real good. You shouldn't have any more problems.

My 318ti
tonymasone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:39 AM   #73
JPerfect

i havent touched this thread in a while. My windows have been fine. One thing i forgot to mention, was that when i had taken my door apart to clean the sliders again, i noticed there were 2 broken sliders sitting at the bottom of the door. I'm guessing the previous owner had some trouble too.

Denise, the Lithium grease is a lubricant that helps the sliders to move freely. Also, my car is a 1995ti like yours. It's black on black. I have pictures up of it in the photo gallery. Also noticed your are from NJ, though I am not sure where Vineland is.

See ya on the road.
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:49 AM   #74
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I replaced the sliders last weekend. They weren't broken but I like to change them every couple of years when I have the time. Almost didn't get the window back in the track. I didn't realize their was a forward window track. I lost one of the clips on the bottom of the door and it is now stuck in there. Also glued the door panel back on. Hopefully I am set for another couple years.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 08-24-2005, 07:53 AM   #75
shawn786

Default Driver Side Windo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGoldenboy
I have a 95 sport, and the driver-side window just came off track. Has anyone else expierenced this, if so, how much or how easy to fix.......

Thanks
hI, I AM SHAWN I HAVE A 95 TI DRIVER SIDE WINDOW GETS OFF THE TRAC EVERY KNOW AND THAN THIS SIT IT PAIN IN THE ASS IT PROB. WOULD TAKE YOU 30 MIN TO FIX JUST OPEN THE PANNEL (LOWER THE WINDOW ALL THE WAY TRY FO STICK UR RIGHT HAND IN TO THE LITTLE HOLE AND TRY TO PUT THE WINDOW BACK IN TO THE FRAM,IF THIS DOSENT WORK THAN ROLL THE WINDOW UP HALF WAY AND 1. CHECK TO SEE IF THE LIL WHITE PLASTIC THINGS THAT ARE HOLDIND THE ARMS (THAT ROLLS WIND. UP AND DOWN)ARE BROKEN OR NOT THET HAVE A LIL METTAL CLIP ON THEM USE SCREW DRIVER TO TAKE THEM OUT IF THEY ARE REPLACE THEM, AFTER REPLACING (DO NOT PUT THE WINDOW BACK/ATTACH TO THE ARMS ON BOTH SIDES ,,,NOW U R GOING TO NEED HELP OF SOME ONE TO HOLD THE GLASS UP AFTER U PUT THE GLASS BACK ON TO THE FRAM(ROLL WINDOW HALF WAY UP AND BRING THE ARMS CLOSE TO THE PLASTIC HOLDERS) AND THEN CLICK/PUSH THEM IN HARD U'LL HEAR CLICK NOISE AND DONT FORGET THE METTAL CLIPS TO BACK ON THEM AND U R ALL SET!!!
shawn786 is offline   Reply With Quote