318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 100,872 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 63,823 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 61,041 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
DigitalNY

Default ID Oil Leak, '95 318ti M42 (Pic Heavy)

Hey Guys,

Could use some help identifying the oil leak on my Ti. From the top side of the engine it's almost not noticeable. There's no leak at the oil housing gasket that I can see. There is a very minor weepage at two of the valve cover bolt seals (far rear bolts on the drivers side of the valve cover).

The leak that has me a bit worried and mildly annoyed is on the lower half of the engine. It is enough of a leak that I lose 1.5 to 2 qt of oil over the interval of an oil change. When I hit a bump while driving which jars the vehicle oil will come loose from the engine and be blown back by the fan onto the hot exhaust and cause a hot oil smell.

Front lower half of the engine:

Closer up pic of the area:

The power steering fluid reservoir does leak a bit and I was already planning on replacing the lines and reservoir. I'd like to get this oil leak fixed as well but I have the suspicion that I'm not going to be able to get at the offending seal / gasket. Can anyone here tell where the leak would actually be and how much I'd be looking at for a repair?

It's already obvious that the previous owner didn't really care about finding correct parts for this vehicle. If you look to the left of the main pulley in the second pic you'll notice he apparently didn't have the correct length bolt so he slipped a socket over the threads of a bolt that was too long and used it anyway.

Thanks,

Ric
DigitalNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
bullmand

That's got to be the oil filter housing gasket and bushing. It doesn't leak from the o-ring on the cap, but at the connection between the housing and the block. It's small paper gasket and there's a plastic valve in there with some o-rings on it as well.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20854

Last edited by bullmand; 04-19-2012 at 09:08 PM.
bullmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
DigitalNY

According to REALOEM there's no bush on this car, just a gasket and single o-ring since it has the aluminum cover style filter housing. I'll go ahead and add the parts to my order with pelican but I don't see how it could be the filter housing gasket. There's no oil between the filter housing where it joins the block and the bottom of the engine that appears to be covered in oil.

I'll try the filter housing gasket & o-ring as a solution and really hope that solves it because to me it really looks like lower timing cover or even bottom end gasket.

Last edited by DigitalNY; 04-19-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
ti cali ed

It hard to tell but I'd say timing cover. I think you have to pull the head to get to it. I think. I have however read that the oil filter housing is known to leak on these. Best bet would be to get some degreaser and clean everything till it's spotless. Then start looking for the leak. On other cars I've put a dye in the oil after I cleaned everything and went looking with a black light. I've had trouble with my power steering res leaking as well and boy it can really make a mess under the hood, might have to fix it before you can find the oil leak.
ti cali ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
fast2002

Default oil leak`

I have noticed the same problem with my 95 318ti the oil is noticeable near the AC unit and the oil filter housing looks dry. PLEASE let me if you discover the source, bbsports@msn.com. Thanks
fast2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
GrandpaTuner

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti cali ed View Post
It hard to tell but I'd say timing cover. I think you have to pull the head to get to it. I think. I have however read that the oil filter housing is known to leak on these. Best bet would be to get some degreaser and clean everything till it's spotless. Then start looking for the leak. On other cars I've put a dye in the oil after I cleaned everything and went looking with a black light. I've had trouble with my power steering res leaking as well and boy it can really make a mess under the hood, might have to fix it before you can find the oil leak.
+1......Hate to be "Capt. Obvious" here....But you may want to order a new rubber intake boot......Gotta love the socket fix...Apparently he did'nt need that size any longer....Makes you wonder what else he " Mickey Moused"..." What a Door knob!.......Good Luck...Keep us posted
GrandpaTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
DigitalNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaTuner View Post
+1......Hate to be "Capt. Obvious" here....But you may want to order a new rubber intake boot......Gotta love the socket fix...Apparently he did'nt need that size any longer....Makes you wonder what else he " Mickey Moused"..." What a Door knob!.......Good Luck...Keep us posted
Already ordered from pelican, will be here sometime next week. Exhaust and suspension was this week.. full refresh with control arms, tie rods, struts, springs, bushings, the works..
Old 04-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
GrandpaTuner

Vehicles

Pelican has to be loving the TI customers this past week or so...I Ordered pretty much all the same.....Putting off the front end work until I have a 4 day weekend...Have a feeling it's not going to come off all that easy...
GrandpaTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
DigitalNY

The front suspension I shopped out to a local shop, they're doing it monday. Originally it was going to be done last week but they got it up on the lift and realized that the previous owner snapped bolts off in the knuckles and the suspension couldn't be done until I replaced the knuckles. I ended up ordering a good set of used ones along with brand new hubs & bearings. By the time I'm done with this ti it's going to be like a new off the lot car.. lol
Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Clean everything up with degreaser and take it for a short drive then check for oil. That is how I find oil leaks. Also it looks like your CCV valve is disconnected? There is a small filter by the brake booster that someone installed. Without CCV you don't have a vacuum in the crankcase while driving and oil will leak out

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 04-21-2012 at 01:21 PM.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
DigitalNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Clean everything up with degreaser and take it for a short drive then check for oil. That is how I find oil leaks. Also it looks like your CCV valve is disconnected? There is a small filter by the brake booster that someone installed. Without CCV you don't have a vacuum in the crankcase while driving and oil will leak out
That's another one that makes me go Hrmm? I can't tell where the vacuum line that the filter is attached to goes. It runs under the intake manifold and without removing it I can't see where the other end is attached. The line from the valve cover to the PCV(CCV, CCVV, whaddeva) is intact.

I've had a slightly wavering idle (hunting idle) ever since I got the car and occasionally a check engine light while idling which goes away with the least bit of throttle. To me that screams vacuum system leak. Since that picture was taken I've removed that filter and just plugged the line. That resolved the hunting idle and only time will tell if it also resolves the occasional CEL.

In the near future I'll start digging around, possibly even pull the intake manifold if I have to, and figure out where that line actually belongs.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
tiFreak

Vehicles

there should be a vacuum line that attaches to the rubber boot between your AFM and throttle body, judging by the tape on that boot I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's disconnected
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote