318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,918 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,890 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 57,301 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 132,405 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
pampa

Default DME+EWSII+KEY PAIRED (looking for)/ or help!

Looking for EWS + DME (or ECU whatever bmw calls it).+Key

My Car: 1997 318ti Auto
History: I received not running (heard rumor of jump started backwards)
Received condition: No crank, good battery, lights work etc.

What I have done; Bypass EWSII (pins 1+3) large wires
Current condition: Cranks over, no spark, non essential items working during crank over (wipers, radio etc).

Advise? Does this bypass only allow cranking and does not activate spark/fuel? Or does anyone have EWSII+EDM+Key?

Pampa

Last edited by pampa; 03-15-2015 at 06:40 PM. Reason: more specific description in title
pampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampa View Post
Looking for EWS + DME (or ECU whatever bmw calls it).+Key

My Car: 1997 318ti Auto
History: I received not running (heard rumor of jump started backwards)
Received condition: No crank, good battery, lights work etc.

What I have done; Bypass EWSII (pins 1+3) large wires
Current condition: Cranks over, no spark, non essential items working during crank over (wipers, radio etc).

Advise? Does this bypass only allow cranking and does not activate spark/fuel? Or does anyone have EWSII+EDM+Key?

Pampa
I know where you can get a DME EWS Key kit for about $120 shipped, PM for information.

Ok pin 1 & 3 will only bypass the starter kill so that tells my your ket is not alligned or programmed into the EWS key code roll. wipers and acc. during crank you have a unloader relay issue.

When and how did this start to happen?

John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
pampa

John , I have such new account I cannot PM. Can you send me email please? timhahnfromoregon@gmail.com. Also, I received the car in this condition. Yesterday I bought a ews+dme+chip but the EWS plug is different. My car is 1997. The one I bought is for 1999 I guess. So I still need a pair.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Real quick question? Are you sure you are replacing the EWS? I think the EWS plug for a 99 and 97 are the same. It should be in the lowest position on the board behind the glove box.

I might be wrong but I think they are the same and maybe you are unplugging the wrong module.

Also you need to remove the key halo ring from the ignition and then tape the matching ket or chip to the ring for a correct read. You cant just slide in the original ingition key and hold the matching key in the ring too since the read will be two keys hex number.

If all else fails I know a junk yard in NC that has sold me 4 matching DME kits. He will ask like $150 but just email back $100 including shipping and he will go for it. I'm searching for his email now and will send it to you.

Another option is install a EWS delete chip in your original DME and never worry about EWS again.

John S
Old 03-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
pampa

John,

I am 100% sure that I removed EWSII module. I found out from the seller that the module he sent me was removed from a 1999 318ti Ca model type M. There is some variation because the plug and even body of EWs was different than my original.
I agree that EWS delete would be best method, however after searching these forums I cannot find a company which does this for a reasonable price. RPM Motorsport in Canada wants like $400 to do such simple thing. Do you know another method/company for EWS delete chip? Maybe I am confused by so many different blogs, but maybe I recall that EWS cannot be deleted from the DME of OBDII BMW's?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
John,

I am 100% sure that I removed EWSII module. I found out from the seller that the module he sent me was removed from a 1999 318ti Ca model type M. There is some variation because the plug and even body of EWs was different than my original.
I agree that EWS delete would be best method, however after searching these forums I cannot find a company which does this for a reasonable price. RPM Motorsport in Canada wants like $400 to do such simple thing. Do you know another method/company for EWS delete chip? Maybe I am confused by so many different blogs, but maybe I recall that EWS cannot be deleted from the DME of OBDII BMW's?
I would like to do a EWS delete chip install. Here is what I can offer. You purchase the delete chip and mail it to me with the DME you want it installed in. You will be responsible for shipping to me and return shipping. I will install the chip in the DME and if it works you will send me an extra $50 for my time. I consider myself excellent at soldering and very good with programming, I know my way around the 97-98 DME since I have run that DME or the 668 for many years. I do not guarantee it will work but someone on this board needs to step up and install one of these EWS II delete chips. With this chip I think the DME can be used in any car without having to mess with EWS matching and alligning.

You will be "All in" including chip, shipping and $50 if it works will be less then $100. If it doesn't work you will lose the cost of the chip and shipping both ways, I charge nothing if it doesn't work.

Let me know?

John S
Old 03-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
pampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
I would like to do a EWS delete chip install. Here is what I can offer. You purchase the delete chip and mail it to me with the DME you want it installed in. You will be responsible for shipping to me and return shipping. I will install the chip in the DME and if it works you will send me an extra $50 for my time. I consider myself excellent at soldering and very good with programming, I know my way around the 97-98 DME since I have run that DME or the 668 for many years. I do not guarantee it will work but someone on this board needs to step up and install one of these EWS II delete chips. With this chip I think the DME can be used in any car without having to mess with EWS matching and alligning.

You will be "All in" including chip, shipping and $50 if it works will be less then $100. If it doesn't work you will lose the cost of the chip and shipping both ways, I charge nothing if it doesn't work.

Let me know?

John S
John,

I'm down for trying that out. I'll look for an EWS delete chip today after work and let you know what I find. I will then PM you for shipping info.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
xxxJohnBoyxxx

I'm not going to be able to install the EWS emulator since I don't have a Bimmer anymore. The EWS emulator software needs to read the ISN from the DME so it can be programmed. All I have here is a bench flashing unit using Galletto as the read/write software. If someone local wants to help with this project I would install their chip for free if they let me use their car to program your chip. My location is 33711

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 03-25-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
pampa

No problem. I'll be waiting for the link.

Tim
Old 03-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Look at that post again I can not install and program the eEWS emulator unless I have a donor car so I can grab the ISN off the DME.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
pampa

John,

I will buy from your local junkyard if you can get for me. Let me know if you can find one available. None of the wrecking yards around here have the key. Also, they are too dumb to know what the EWS is. The only way I trust is to pull my self, or someone like you to help out. Thanks,

Tim
Old 03-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #12
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
John,

I will buy from your local junkyard if you can get for me. Let me know if you can find one available. None of the wrecking yards around here have the key. Also, they are too dumb to know what the EWS is. The only way I trust is to pull my self, or someone like you to help out. Thanks,

Tim

I need to find this guys email address. I found him on BfC and used him several times. I can't remember my log-in on that board plus a email change so I will need to pull a hat-trick and get that for you.

John S
Old 03-29-2015, 01:03 AM   #13
pampa

John,

I just got off the phone with a German wrecking yard in Georgia who knew what they were doing. He said he had an EWS+dme & chip pair. I paid and he will mail out Monday. He said he would confirm operation before shipping. If something is wrong Monday, I'll msg you.
Thanks for all your help, it may not be over yet!
Old 05-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
smarkwilson

What was the outcome think of buy a 318with the no start problem after battery died cranking but no start
smarkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
pampa

Default Solution

I ended up replacing the ews+ecu+ key chip. Bought a set from a wrecking yard for $150. Started right up.