318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,006,931 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
RidingSimple

Default Rear M Roadster Swaybar Group Buy???

With the talk of the 28mm front bar group buy, I was thinking what about the 18.5mm factory rear bar that the M coupes and Roadsters came with stock?

Tischer has them listed as $130 msrp, and their price $109. I think a group buy with the bar itself, the brackets, bushings, and mouting nuts/bolts would be a sweet upgrade for the ti.

Thoughts?
Tischer BMW?
RidingSimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Kaliimc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
With the talk of the 28mm front bar group buy, I was thinking what about the 18.5mm factory rear bar that the M coupes and Roadsters came with stock?

Tischer has them listed as $130 msrp, and their price $109. I think a group buy with the bar itself, the brackets, bushings, and mouting nuts/bolts would be a sweet upgrade for the ti.

Thoughts?
Tischer BMW?

I'm in!

1996 Alpine White: 318ti: Dinan Stage 1 Software. CosmoRacing CAI EVO 3.5". Dinan Free Flow exhaust. X-Brace. LeatherZ Mark2 Armrest. Eibach front sway bar. Meyle RSM's
Kaliimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
mohaughn

Is there a particular handling characteristic that you are trying to tune out of the car with a larger rear bar? I wouldn't want to upgrade the rear bar as that will make the problem of the inside tire lifting that much worse.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
RidingSimple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Is there a particular handling characteristic that you are trying to tune out of the car with a larger rear bar? I wouldn't want to upgrade the rear bar as that will make the problem of the inside tire lifting that much worse.
Well, I only have the stock 14mm puny rsb, so I would at least like to upgrade to the 16mm sport bar, and for the same money, why not do the 18.5mm roadster one? I'm not thinking that will be so stiff as to make the car lift the inside tire. Thoughts?

My car has Bilstein Sports and H&R Race.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
dave45056

It seems like the wimpy flange the sway bar attaches to is not strong enough to lift the tire anyway. At least from the looks of it. Does the M roadster reinforce that flange?
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
L84THSKY

The bracket is the same on both cars; doubt the bracket could be welded any better on the MZ3. I had MZ3 brackets welded in, since one broke. Adding those adjustable endlinks and reinforcement tabs is a nice touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave45056 View Post
It seems like the wimpy flange the sway bar attaches to is not strong enough to lift the tire anyway. At least from the looks of it. Does the M roadster reinforce that flange?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #7
mohaughn

Quote:
Well, I only have the stock 14mm puny rsb, so I would at least like to upgrade to the 16mm sport bar, and for the same money, why not do the 18.5mm roadster one? I'm not thinking that will be so stiff as to make the car lift the inside tire. Thoughts? My car has Bilstein Sports and H&R Race.
On an autocross course a Ti can easily lift the inside rear tire with the stock rear sway bar.

In my car this would cause bad power oversteer. Once I changed out the rest of my suspension for coilovers I never had an understeer problem so I never needed a larger bar in the rear.

Bigger and stiffer rear bar does not always equal better handling. You really need to think about how everything will work together and what changes the increased rear stiffness will cause.

On the street you may never notice the rear tire lifting, and the rear bar will make the car stiffer, which may give the butt dyno impression that the car is handling "better."
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
RidingSimple

Quote:
On an autocross course a Ti can easily lift the inside rear tire with the stock rear sway bar.

In my car this would cause bad power oversteer. Once I changed out the rest of my suspension for coilovers I never had an understeer problem so I never needed a larger bar in the rear.

Bigger and stiffer rear bar does not always equal better handling. You really need to think about how everything will work together and what changes the increased rear stiffness will cause.

On the street you may never notice the rear tire lifting, and the rear bar will make the car stiffer, which may give the butt dyno impression that the car is handling "better."

Yeah, that does make sense. I am definitely going to purchase a 28mm upgraded front bar, and one I get the autocross wheels/tires mounted, I'll do a few runs to see how things work out. If I find I need more roll stiffness, I'll upgrade the rear bar....and to a X Brace, and a front strut bar....and...and hehe it's never ending.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
RidingSimple

Ok guys, I talked to Evan @ Tischer BMW, and we need to see how many interested parties there are.

1) Das Auto
2) Kallimc

Detailed parts requested.
Diagram ----> http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Rear Swaybar, 18.5 mm - M roadster & m coupe 98-02 MSRP $136.33 Tischer BMW Price $109.06 Part number 1 in diagram Qty 1

Rear body bushing - M roadster & m coupe 98-02 MSRP $5.82 Tisher BMW Price $4.66 Part number 2 in diagram Qty 2

Bracket Back - M roadster & m coupe 98-02 MSRP $1.83 Tisher BMW Price $1.46 Part number 3 in diagram Qty 2

Stabilizer link Back - M roadster & m coupe 98-02 MSRP $22.35 Tisher BMW Price $17.88 Part number 6 in diagram Qty 2

Bracket Back - M roadster & m coupe 98-02 MSRP $2.22 Tischer BMW Price $1.78 Part number 7 in diagram Qty 2

Didn't feel like putting the info in this post, but I would probably be interested in the nuts and bolts as well.

TOTAL PRICE @ LISTED TISCHER BMW PRICING
$160.62 minus shipping and nuts/bolts needed to have entirely new rear swaybar parts.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
1996 328ti

Vehicles

We now have 3 different group buys going on.
One is a year old, another is almost a year old.
And that is just the ones that were bumped.

If a group buy doesn't pan out before the end of the year, I'm going to put a ban on group buys. They don't appear to work. Perhaps there will be more luck on bf.c when you can get more involved.
Quote:
+1.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
We now have 3 different group buys going on.
One is a year old, another is almost a year old.
And that is just the ones that were bumped.

If a group buy doesn't pan out before the end of the year, I'm going to put a ban on group buys. They don't appear to work. Perhaps there will be more luck on bf.c when you can get more involved.+1.
The LudicrouSpeed Eibach sway bar Group Buys all one Group Buy. The first one never really ended, and was never meant to end. That's why I continued last years thread instead of starting a new one.

Each time there is a batch of 3 or more orders, a Group Buy can be made. The only difference to a year ago is that prices went up, so there was an adjustment to that.

The other, "front only" GB from a while ago was also part of the same GB for the kits.

The last round of Group Buys through LudicrouSpeed sold 4 bars to different people, not including the two I bought for myself. They do and are working. Ask people who have received their bars already.

LS and I have nothing to do with this (the M Roadster rear bar) Group Buy.
Maryland's Premier Autocross Team

gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post
LS and I have nothing to do with this (the M Roadster rear bar) Group Buy.
I'm just talking about group buys in general.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
RidingSimple

I did not realize this was a big deal.
Delete the thread if need be.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
I did not realize this was a big deal.
Delete the thread if need be.
It's not a big deal.
I just don't see group buys being productive. The other two have been going on for a year.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
gimp

They are productive if people get their stuff at a good price. At least five people so far have (in the other two that have been going to for a year).
Maryland's Premier Autocross Team

gimp is offline   Reply With Quote