M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 130,531 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
crysinlove

Default Wheel Cleaner that actually Works??????

Any know of any GOOD wheel cleaners that actually work? My rims are nice and I don't plan on replacing them for a while, but they have this like scuff/stains marks on them and they won'd come off with anything. I've tried water & soap and even when to AutoZone and bought a wheel cleaner that didn't work at all.

Anybody????
Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysinlove View Post
Any know of any GOOD wheel cleaners that actually work? My rims are nice and I don't plan on replacing them for a while, but they have this like scuff/stains marks on them and they won'd come off with anything. I've tried water & soap and even when to AutoZone and bought a wheel cleaner that didn't work at all.

Anybody????
i have the same problem and ive tried 3 types of wheel cleaner/degreasers i say get some rattle can paint from autozone and paint your rims. you'll get rid of the stains from brake dust and what not and it will look much nicer! IMO
Old 01-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
aceyx

Scuffs and stains are physical blemishes in the paint; they can not be cleaned.

I bought a set of wheels that had some type of goop melted on them in various places. After soaking the locations in water by setting a damp cloth over them, they came off using an assortment of plastic scrapers, magic erasers, 3M bug tar and wax remover, and a crapton of elbow grease.

If it's just stubborn brake dust, P21s or S100 (same stuff, just cheaper) works well.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

you may laugh (i would, but i'm too tired!), but i just finished soft scrubbing my nearly 12 year old rims that were quite full of gunk (probably haven't cleaned them for real in the last two plus years). as aceyx said, if it's scuffs and curb rash, you're not going to be able to clean those off, you'd need to have them redone or repaint them yourself (a few on here have done that).

i spent about a day on each of my wheels (almost done with the last one!). here's the process i used (again, feel free to laugh, lol):

1) remove wheel from car
2) remove surface rust from brake disc surface where wheel mounts, i then apply copper anti-seize
3) give the wheel a rough cleaning, use a plastic drywall spatula or similar to scrape off any large deposits, rinse thoroughly
4) use goo gone or similar to soak any old tape from previous wheel weights and then use the plastic spatula and some paper towels to remove the sticky crap (i had 3-4 spots of old tape on each wheel!)
5) remove rust and gunk from machined surfaces of rim
6) using scrotch brite NO SCRATCH pads with soft scrub, i give each wheel a very thorough scrubbing, rinse very thoroughly
7) dry it off
8) use a wheel sealant (i'm trying wheel guard from chemical guys)
9) reinstall wheel and admire how shiny it is!

EDIT: forgot the most important step
10) drink a beer!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:02 AM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

thought i'd post up some pics

before:

current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 01-13-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

CLEAN! time for a beer!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
thesk8nmidget

ummm wow...

signs of to much free time.....

good work Eric!

quite the difference.

ps you sure those are the same wheels?
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:51 AM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

lol ... yes, they're the same. my hands hurt! but i'm hoping with the wheel sealer that i won't have to do it like that again ... EVER!

it keeps me out of trouble and from spending money on other things

Old 01-13-2008, 03:56 AM   #9
thesk8nmidget

yeah good point!! not being online saves me from spending money on things! lol

i get to tempted with good deals that pop up.

eric you need to post pictures of your whole car in the photo album.

just make an album labeled photo shoot and give her a nice array of pictures with all different angles if the inside and out!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:02 AM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

lol, its best parts are already in the gallery!

she needs some work yet. still have deer dents, some rust on the hatch lip, an 11" crack (hey, stop looking at my 11" crack!) in the front bumper, a slightly bucked up hood, a bumped in nose piece ... it never ends! she needs a lot of TLC yet. a bunch of the interior is still out for the HD radio install, a number of pieces of the hatch are still out from my hitch install and attempted rust stoppage on the hatch. thank god it's still fun to drive, i think i just depressed myself.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:06 AM   #11
thesk8nmidget

oh eric i am sorry!

wish i could dedicate some good solid helpful time to get her back up and recovered from surgery!!

i would help you for the week i have til i get working again if i was closer!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 AM   #12
elfhearse

I've been using Simple Green (spray) for years. Spray it on and wipe down with a small sponge or cloth...just be sure to rinse it off immediately.
elfhearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #13
teetime4one

Vehicles

the hitch on his car is all messed up from my dumb @ss running into it.
LMAO
true story!

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:26 AM   #14
thesk8nmidget

ouch!! damn you sean! why you gotta be hitting people?

i can agree with the simple green cleaning up a lot of deep grease and stains!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:30 AM   #15
teetime4one

Vehicles

okay...more like i "tapped" it.
i wasn't even sure it happened until i ask Eric...he said, "yeah, you got it...but, it'll only hurt your car not my hitch."
so, no harm no foul.
didn't even leave a mark on my car.

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote