318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,007,793 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-19-2003, 06:15 AM   #1
graphik

im planning on installing new shocks and springs next week. are there any special tools i will need? i know i will need some spring compressors, but any other special tools? thanks for the help!

alex
graphik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:43 PM   #2
saxman0321

Other than the spring compressor, all you will need is simple sockets like a 13mm, 18mm... It's not too bad of a job, just take your time and make sure everything is seated correctly and torqued down properly.
saxman0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
graphik

is the bentley manual necessary for this install?
Old 12-19-2003, 07:51 PM   #4
saxman0321

I think the Haynes manual explains it well enough if you have one of those. They are a but cheaper and easier to come by, but not as extensive as the Bentley manual. Bentley is the way to go if you're willing to shell out the extra $50 or so. It's not a very difficult job, those manuals explain it well.
saxman0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:51 PM   #5
bimmerboi318

yeah the only problem i had was that my spring compressor was a piece of junk and didnt compress the springs enough. either that or i did it wrong. but it went pretty easily. the back was super easy. shocks can be replaced in like 20 minutes. not sure for springs. i only did shocks.
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
m3rty98

Just installed my springs I got a good deal on some maxspeeds ($0) my brother had them from his 318is and never installed so I just took them since he sold his car. Its a very simple process . it took me around an hour to do all 4 wheels. Well it helps when you have 2 jacks, impact gun and instead of a spring compressor I used some clamps. it droppe the car around 1.5" all around.
m3rty98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:27 PM   #7
graphik

yeah i got mine done this weekend, it was my first suspension install. good experience, i installed the bav auto spring and bilstein sports.

alex
Old 10-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #8
L84THSKY

Default That's the combo I plan on installing

Let me know how you like the BAV springs and Bilstein Sports. I also just bought a set of 17" rims. If the install isn't that bad, I will probably try it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphik
yeah i got mine done this weekend, it was my first suspension install. good experience, i installed the bav auto spring and bilstein sports.

alex

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
tiPilot

Default Lowering springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
Let me know how you like the BAV springs and Bilstein Sports. I also just bought a set of 17" rims. If the install isn't that bad, I will probably try it myself.

I also have the 17" rims with 225 17 45 tires. I was thinking about doing springs next. Have you done this yet? Are you rubbing inside the wheel wells? good luck.
tiPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:07 PM   #10
bimmerboi318

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiPilot
Are you rubbing inside the wheel wells? good luck.
My stock wheels rubbed the inside of my wheelwells. I have nice shiny metal whoing where the tire hits.
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:35 PM   #11
mikep

Default Strut, shocks ,and spring information

Following your thread, it appears that you can have an interference problem following the installation of new springs (lowering the car 1.5").

The local BMW speciality shop and I have been discussing the installation of sport performance Bilstein struts, shocks and springs package. Lowers the car approx 1.5".

I have alloy 15" wheels, with the std suspension and was looking to improve the hadling in order to mimic the BMW's M-tec package. The speciality shop recommended the bilstein sport upgrade and said that it would handle better then the M-tec.

I am curious what results other owners have had with this type of upgrade:
Is there an interference problem with the std alloy 15" wheels?
Is the car prone to striking the curb when parking?
Was the price (approx $700 for parts) worth the handling improvement ( Irregardless, I am in need of shocks and struts).
Is adviseable to go for the optional 16" wheels?

The goal is to get a handling characteristics similar to the M-tec package. I do not plan to auto cross or take the car to the track; I enjoy spirited driving and BMW handling.

Any advice- recommendations will be appreciated.

R/ Mike P
1995, 318ti, a/t, 88,400mi
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:43 PM   #12
L84THSKY

Default Wheel fitment

I actually just bought the rims, haven't installed them yet. Still not sure exact size tires I wanna put on them. I'm leaning towards 215/45/17, since they make that size in the tire I want.....Dunlop SP8000. I won't be installing the wheels till the spring, don't wanna mess them up in during the NY winter pothole season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiPilot
I also have the 17" rims with 225 17 45 tires. I was thinking about doing springs next. Have you done this yet? Are you rubbing inside the wheel wells? good luck.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 10-21-2004, 03:48 PM   #13
L84THSKY

Default Wheel size

What size wheels and tires are you using with this spring and shock combination? I wanna be sure the 17" rims I bought with 215/45/17 tires will not have any problems. How much did the shock/spring combo lower the car, any rubbing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphik

alex

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 10-21-2004, 04:03 PM   #14
tiPilot

Default not rubbing except with deep road undulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
What size wheels and tires are you using with this spring and shock combination? I wanna be sure the 17" rims I bought with 215/45/17 tires will not have any problems. How much did the shock/spring combo lower the car, any rubbing?

I don't have the lowering springs but I do have the bilstein sports. It handles so well but not so tight that I am bounced around either. My tires and rims are 225 45 17's I think I might just stay with stock height.
tiPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:21 PM   #15
KIRASIR

If you are not planning to auto-x or track driving consider getting the following:

BMW 318ti Sport Package springs
Bilstein Sports
and 17 wheels

The springs can be found for 50-100USD(used on ebay or this forum).

The wheel rubbing will only occur if you get rims with an improper offset. My rear is 2"+ lower than stock and my front used to be the same. I never had any rubbing with 225/45/17 wheels. As long as the offset is around 40mm you should be fine.

Keep in mind that the lower you go the more pain in the A$$ driving on the street will become.

Once you have the springs/shocks/wheels combo installed and some more budget, get either sport sway bars or aftermarket adjustable ones like Eibach.
Then you'll be all set with a ride that handles better than the Sport package, and can still take daily potholes and speed bumps.

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep
Following your thread, it appears that you can have an interference problem following the installation of new springs (lowering the car 1.5").

The local BMW speciality shop and I have been discussing the installation of sport performance Bilstein struts, shocks and springs package. Lowers the car approx 1.5".

I have alloy 15" wheels, with the std suspension and was looking to improve the hadling in order to mimic the BMW's M-tec package. The speciality shop recommended the bilstein sport upgrade and said that it would handle better then the M-tec.

I am curious what results other owners have had with this type of upgrade:
Is there an interference problem with the std alloy 15" wheels?
Is the car prone to striking the curb when parking?
Was the price (approx $700 for parts) worth the handling improvement ( Irregardless, I am in need of shocks and struts).
Is adviseable to go for the optional 16" wheels?

The goal is to get a handling characteristics similar to the M-tec package. I do not plan to auto cross or take the car to the track; I enjoy spirited driving and BMW handling.

Any advice- recommendations will be appreciated.

R/ Mike P
1995, 318ti, a/t, 88,400mi