318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 982,220 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #16
318tiwinner

So I investigated my rattle a bit further and I have determined that I am hearing my catylitic converter. I had suspected this first but I was hoping it was in my trunk instead. Now I have to replace the converter for a second time.

I took the trunk apart first though and I know what piece you are referring to. This may be the rattle or the other rod off to the right of that one. It connects to that plastic clip with a hook in the wire.
318tiwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #17
cali-ti
aka Stabby

is it your cat or is it the heat shield for the cat? my heat shield rattles, but i was going to try securing it rather than replacing the cat itself. perhaps you could try this yourself. worth a try before you replace it.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:26 PM   #18
318tiwinner

I think it is my cat, it rattles at random RPMs but always near 3200. I will check the heat sheild though. Is it easy to replace?

Thanks.
318tiwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:41 AM   #19
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i don't know that it's replaceable. it literally surrounds the cat. i think mine rusted through at some of the points where it attaches to the cat so that it remains around the cat, but not well connected to it (hope that makes sense). i was going to tap some screws through the shield and into the cat to secure it. or maybe you could have someone weld some little tabs to secure it. you'll have to see what you find when you get under there.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:27 AM   #20
aceyx

sorry to resurrect this post and kind of derail it, but i'm hoping somebody can tell me what the upper part of the hatch looks like under the trim.

i'm (hopefully) going to be installing a glass-mount antenna above the third brake light, and wondering if the receiver box will fit in there. i can cut off the plastic casing and rewire to get it in the 1/2" space, but i'm wondering if all the wiring for the third brake light will get in the way.

the box is about 2" square, and pretty much needs to be dead center (left/right) for it to work effectively. can anybody tell me if this is possible?

thanks in advance.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote