318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 354,743 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #31
Monkfish

I cant wait to see it painted. How similar is the color to cordobarot?
Monkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #32
minimike

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkfish View Post
I cant wait to see it painted. How similar is the color to cordobarot?
Not going to lie I had to Google what "cordobarot" was haha! looks pretty close to that actually, The colour I'm going for though is exactly what's on that s13 I posted, I messaged the guy from the Tandem Of Die drift team who was really cool and gave me some hints to what the colour was from
minimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #33
Monkfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimike View Post
Not going to lie I had to Google what "cordobarot" was haha! looks pretty close to that actually, The colour I'm going for though is exactly what's on that s13 I posted, I messaged the guy from the Tandem Of Die drift team who was really cool and gave me some hints to what the colour was from
Yeah it's a pretty rare color. Rare colors in general seem more common om the usa 318ti. I think cordoba is more common on compacts than it is on the e36, but that might just be because there are only so few US compacts. I've got a hellrot which is anything but unique, but it's has the clubsport package.

The color on the s13 looks really good and will look good on your car for sure. This is a clean ti you are building. It seems like this is quite the undertaking, especially the ducktail.
Monkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #34
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
I've never heard of that rear arm conversion! The e46 front ones I was considering for ages but couldn't figure out how I would fix the anti roll bar, mine has new lower arms and is all poly bushed now, so will properly leave as it is for now but definitely would like to at some point.
converting to studs isn't a bad idea would make life a lot easier! may have to consider all this once I have paid my paint debt off haha
Yup the 6cyl trailing arms are just a bit longer, as for the roll bar, you would have to use a M roll bar that bolts onto the strut tower, and then you would have to use front M shocks/coilovers, that come with the tab to bolt the endlink of the sway bar onto.

That ducktail is looking interesting, it will be good to see how it is when done.

Btw @ Monkfish, which colors are you talking about that are rare but are more common in the U.S.?

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #35
minimike

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkfish View Post
Yeah it's a pretty rare color. Rare colors in general seem more common om the usa 318ti. I think cordoba is more common on compacts than it is on the e36, but that might just be because there are only so few US compacts. I've got a hellrot which is anything but unique, but it's has the clubsport package.

The color on the s13 looks really good and will look good on your car for sure. This is a clean ti you are building. It seems like this is quite the undertaking, especially the ducktail.
ahh okay that's a really nice colour though, Another colour I was looking at before I found the s13 one was calypso red, Is that meant to be a fairly rare colour?
Yeah I hope its going to turn out alright! not really sure what made me want to go this far with it, think one of the reasons is that a lot of people hate the compact here so want to prove they do look good! I have a classic mini in my garage that I started restoring a few years ago that I should really finish! haha

Quote:
Yup the 6cyl trailing arms are just a bit longer, as for the roll bar, you would have to use a M roll bar that bolts onto the strut tower, and then you would have to use front M shocks/coilovers, that come with the tab to bolt the endlink of the sway bar onto.

That ducktail is looking interesting, it will be good to see how it is when done.

Btw @ Monkfish, which colors are you talking about that are rare but are more common in the U.S.?
That explains a lot ! thanks defiantly going to be looking in to this now and start collecting the bits I need to do the front, the rear sounds like an interesting swap too, My rear arms are basically the only part that isn't poly bushed so would be a good chance to do that too

Its getting there, after seeing the guy on here put an e46 CSL ducktail on his white one on here I had to do it
I added some pictures to a previous post of how its looking now, but I've moved them forward to here

Old 02-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #36
minimike

Vehicles

Few more pictures, rear bumpers coming along now, front badge and washer jets smoothed out now.

Follow me on Instagram @Mike_Wooding

Last edited by minimike; 02-28-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #37
Coyoteh

Vehicles

Quote:
Also Lew (the guy who is making and extending my ducktail) was thinking about making some moulds of it once its fitted nicely, Wasn't sure if there would be much interest in them? It’s only a possibility at the moment though. And most people on here are from the US so would probably cost too much to post
I think definitely there would be some interest, it's a great look!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #38
minimike

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteh View Post
I think definitely there would be some interest, it's a great look!
Definitely considering taking some moulds of it!

The bimmer is looking sorry for its self now, Most of the smoothing is done now just the dent removal to go and should hopefully be in primer by the end of this week!

Last edited by minimike; 03-04-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #39
anassa

Vehicles

So maybe I dumb, but since you took out the cutout for the muffler, how is your muffler/exhaust going to be set up? I am assuming you took it out for a cleaner look? Sorry for having you explain something so simple.

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #40
minimike

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by anassa View Post
So maybe I dumb, but since you took out the cutout for the muffler, how is your muffler/exhaust going to be set up? I am assuming you took it out for a cleaner look? Sorry for having you explain something so simple.
Not dumb at all aha, Yeah I have smoothed the bumper for a cleaner look and the exhaust I plan to make is like this:

Although it proberly wont be as neat as this! I was planning to have a full system made, but now I plan to 2.8 in the near future I will wait and have one made for that
Old 03-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #41
minimike

Vehicles

Not much progress, More dents removed

And ducktail bonded on

Also Got bored and decided to redesign the little switch panel for the boot popper button and horn.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #42
retro ross

Vehicles

Looking very good
retro ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #43
minimike

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro ross View Post
Looking very good
Cheers another Uk member! not to far away either
Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #44
retro ross

Vehicles

Yeah mine isnt up to much tho. 2.8 fitted
retro ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #45
minimike

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro ross View Post
Yeah mine isnt up to much tho. 2.8 fitted

It's got a 2.8 so it's already better than mine haha, I plan on putting a 2.8 in mine next, did you have many problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @Mike_Wooding