318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 985,343 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
krowten

Question Projector Halo Lights for 99 318ti

Hey Everyone thought I would ask this since can't get any advice from the outside. I have 99' sport 318ti e36 , but would like to get a set of the projector led lights . where would be the best place online to get them? Also whats around a good price for these , I helped a friend install a set on his, a 323i same year but not sure if he got them at a good price I think around 500, also I want to make sure i get the right set for my model . any leads would be helpful. Thank

Alex
krowten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
zoner

If you want a quality set of OEM euro-style projectors, then expect to pay at least $400-500 for a set of ZKW's or Hella. If you want a decent set of euro-style projectors for under $200, look to the DJ Auto (Hella knock-offs) headlamps. I'd stay away from the DEPO projectors if at all possible (speaking from first hand experience).
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
trikzta

Vehicles

500 is more than enough as a budget, you can check ddmtuning.com, or ebay seller redcometm3. according to some members here the lights you find in either site are good quality

Mods: 325is zender spoiler, 3" carbon fiber antenna, 5% tints rear windows, black out grills, Fogged air intake, Ds1 wheels, Rokkor coilovers, bilstein rear shocks, blacked out tails and home made angel eyes
trikzta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
krowten

thanks for the info , I like what I see on ddmtuning.com reasonable prices its seems . as far as Angel Eyes what are the biggest differences between DDE thin lines and Ultra DDE HD? also is it better to go 35W or 55W?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
trikzta

Vehicles

well is up to you some ppl like the thin lines is just regular angel eyes vs thiner ones both look good google some pics and you'll see

Mods: 325is zender spoiler, 3" carbon fiber antenna, 5% tints rear windows, black out grills, Fogged air intake, Ds1 wheels, Rokkor coilovers, bilstein rear shocks, blacked out tails and home made angel eyes
trikzta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
krowten

any reason to not go with the depo headlights?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
geetarspaz

Vehicles

i highly recommend this website,

http://www.bavtoys.com/products.php
or directly,
http://www.bavtoys.com/hdepo.php

i've never bought anything from them yet, but they have online chat support which greatly helped me out. i'm looking to get the whole angel eye and HID kit from them in the future, but because of the price, i just bought 35w HID's.

Last edited by geetarspaz; 07-28-2011 at 01:15 PM.
geetarspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Biolite

One difference between the DEPO and DJ Auto headlights is that the bottom of the angel eyes are blocked a little by the housing on the DEPOs. This results in them looking more like a pair of parenthesis. Which is fine if you want that, just a note. I have a set of DJ Autos with the thinlines and 55w HIDs and have been very pleased with them. The only thing I would change is the clips that hold the lens and housing together. They tend to get some surface rust on them after a while. Maybe take them off and coat them in POR-15 at some point.
Biolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
zoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krowten View Post
any reason to not go with the depo headlights?
Yes- they're just cheaply made all around. Thinner plastic on the cases; reflector assemblies are not sturdy; cheap wiring. If price is a concern, the DJ Auto headlights are better quality and, from what I've seen, only slightly more cost. Even DDM Tuning (which sells is fair share of cheaply made, Chinese products) stopped carrying the Depo headlights because they said they were having too many problems with them.
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
mksu19

Exclamation

I know this is my first post but the Depo brand that DDM usually carries are the Gen2 type which has the H1 or similar type projectors. The Depo Gen5 (Ecodes) have a proper H7 projector that are true E-codes. I have them on both my Audi and an E36. I got them from a retailer on Ebay. I do not have any affiliation nor do I get paid to promote any items from any seller. Just wanted to break the "Depo-noia" and educate the community.

I got mine from this Ebay seller for just under $170 (free shipping!) for the E36. I'm looking forward to ordering another set for my future Compact!

Quote:
FROM SELLER:

BMW E36 3-Series 92-99 Black Projector Headlights w/ Angel Eye Halo Light Rings
Manufacturer:
DEPO (Projector36) - GEN5
MSRP Retail: 399.99

Special Notes: These headlights' unique ellipsoid lens design and bulb technology provide far superior lighting capabilities than the stock U.S. spec headlights. They produce more light overall than the 9006 bulb-based U.S. headlights since they use a higher wattage H7 bulb, and because the light is more effectively projected onto the road (versus aimlessly scattered around as with the U.S. headlights), you get light where you NEED it most: further out and on the road signs you need to see. Watch out for those selling generic projector type that is poorly made.

Product Description:
  • Brand New DEPO (Projector36) - GEN5 Headlight!
  • Type: Headlight Euro ECODE Ellipsoid light pattern for increased night time visibility - these are amazing!
  • Color: ECODE Black Internal Housing
  • Lens: Glass
  • Bulbs Included: Yes
  • Bulb Specifications: High:H7 Low:H7
  • Genuine Phillips Bulbs included!
  • Perfect for a nice aggressive look!
  • Retails at over 399.99, get it now for less!
  • Ultra Bright - Hyper White Angel Eye Halo Light Rings! These are the latest Gen5 DEPO headlights that come with hyper white rings DIRECT FROM THE DEPO FACTORY! These are not jerry-rigged ones on eBay that people modify the rings. They are DEPO factory direct with Hyper White rings!
  • These include REAL GERMAN MADE PROJECTOR LENSES!
  • With Adjustable Projector for Right Hand and Left Hand Drive!
  • All Wiring Harnesses & Diagrams Included!
  • Replace those weak, dull, pitted US-Spec headlights with these!
  • *** Complete with Wiring Kit *** Instructions Included!!!
    Excellent fitment
    This is for one pair (one left and one right)

EDIT:

On another note, the quality of the materials used in the Depo Gen5's are, by far, more superior to the Depos offered by DDM Tuning. The casing feels much like the original Hellas and the build quality comparable to that of an OEM item sans the wiring. The loom within the casing however are thicker guage wires and seems to be holding up quite nicely even after 2+ years of everyday (DRL) use! In addition, the Gen5 Depos have an extremely sharp cut-offs and does not present any "hot spots" in its beam pattern. I will try to post some photos once I find my external hard drive!

Last edited by mksu19; 08-26-2011 at 09:01 AM.
mksu19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
mksu19

My aplogies for the picture quality. This was taken a couple years back with a Blackberry phone and posted on FB. As promised:

The cutoff

The beam pattern (50W VVME HID Kit)

Last edited by mksu19; 08-29-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
tiFreak

Vehicles

is it possible to hook those up without HIDs? I have no trouble seeing at night with the stock lights so I don't want to introduce something else to go wrong if I don't need to

also, do you have any pics with the angel eyes on during the day?
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
mksu19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
is it possible to hook those up without HIDs? I have no trouble seeing at night with the stock lights so I don't want to introduce something else to go wrong if I don't need to

also, do you have any pics with the angel eyes on during the day?
The casing comes equipped with H7 bulbs from the seller. It's up to you whether or not you choose to install an HID kit on it. Unfortunately, I could not find my external hard drive to post better day/night photos. I will however, post them up for everyone as soon as I locate them. The photos I uploaded was taken from my FB account and are from the actual Depo Gen5 units installed in my 325i.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.176830,-118.375640
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Last edited by mksu19; 08-28-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #14
tiFreak

Vehicles

cool, I'll probably pick up a set of those, I haven't heard good things about DJ Autos or early Depos, those seem like a much better deal
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:40 AM   #15
mksu19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
cool, I'll probably pick up a set of those, I haven't heard good things about DJ Autos or early Depos, those seem like a much better deal
You'll notice a big difference after installing these unit. I do however, recommend installing some HID's on it to maximize it's full potential. HID's, contrary to popular belief, are easier on the eyes and have a ton more output than regular halogen bulbs. I went with a 50W kit and feel 100% more safer driving at night! I have installed some in my fogs as well.

Whatever you choose will definitely be worthwhile. For both aesthetics and practicality. Post some photos as soon as you get them installed. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or something. Good luck and happy motoring

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.176696,-118.375562
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Last edited by mksu19; 08-29-2011 at 07:51 AM.