318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 995,287 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-01-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
luckyboy984

Default very basic headunit question

Whats up guys. So i'm going about replacing the stock tape player in my ti. I've been around to tweeter, best buy and circuit city. I've decided on the CDA-9851 by Alpine at Best Buy (my buddy is getting me 100 bucks off with employee discount)

However, the car guys tell me they can't install the headunit without me replacing all my speakers because the ohms are different for the speakers. I knew that the install was difficult for bmw's but i didn't know you had to update the whole system. Did anyone have problems with this? It's a pretty simple question but I can't find the answer to it and I don't really trust the guys at Best Buy (i used to work there anyways )

Any help would be appreciated.
luckyboy984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
L84THSKY

Aren't you the one who commented on my Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD player? I put that in the Bimmer, and didn't have to change anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyboy984
Whats up guys. So i'm going about replacing the stock tape player in my ti. I've been around to tweeter, best buy and circuit city. I've decided on the CDA-9851 by Alpine at Best Buy (my buddy is getting me 100 bucks off with employee discount)
However, the car guys tell me they can't install the headunit without me replacing all my speakers because the ohms are different for the speakers. I knew that the install was difficult for bmw's but i didn't know you had to update the whole system. Did anyone have problems with this? It's a pretty simple question but I can't find the answer to it and I don't really trust the guys at Best Buy (i used to work there anyways )
Any help would be appreciated.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
ueb0258

I dont know what they are talking about. I had my cassette replaced with a Kenwood CD player at one time and that was all I had done.
ueb0258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
canadian_ti

That sounds like bull****,.. they might want to make a huge chunk of cash off of you. I put a Pioneer deck in my Ti and the only thing I had to do was get the right wiring harness and plug it in. Easy as that,.speakers sound great
Old 11-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
evalha007

I have a Alpine CDA 7894, all you have to do is connect the amp startup wire from the deck to the startup wire for the ti's factory amp. As far as I know, all of them have a built in amp...but that may not be the case.

When I first got the car, I talked to a car stereo place, and they said pretty much the same thing, blah blah blah, you have to re wire the whole car and replace all this stuff for 250$...yeah right. I did it myself in about 15 minutes.
Silver 98 318ti Standard trans, Sport Package: 16" Stock Wheels, Foglamps, Sunroof, Heated Leather Seats, Bilstein performance shocks, OEM Sach's clutch kit, Dunlop SP Sport A2 225/50/16 tires, Alpine CDA 7894, Dual Rockford Fosgate 12" subs, Rockford Fosgate Amp, Leather Armrest, Replaced M44 engine with only 40k on it!
http://www.geocities.com/evalha/bmwsmaller.JPG
evalha007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
bluebastion

Smell that? sniff sniff.... it is b...s.... hmmm... I have a top of the line head unit with the works (Avic-n1) and I have absolutely no upgrades on my system. Are you sure your buddy (best buy employee) is your friend? Hopefully he doesn't work in that car audio dept..

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...on/banner1.jpg
"Nothing's cut and dry in liquid."
bluebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
sparkchaser

*cough*bull*****cough*
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
JPerfect

Default i ended up replacing my speakers

when i got my ti a year ago, the sound was terrible... the rear speakers worked... barely, and the fronts didn't work at all... only that crappy little tweeter.

I thought it was the headunit, so i had an AIWA installed... because I already had it out of my old car. Speakers still didn't work, so i ended up replacing them all myself, (very easy job) and it sounded pretty good. My car DOES NOT have a preinstalled BMW amplifier. I installed an amp for my 12" sub in the back, and ran all of the speakers off of my headunit.

I went to audioblowouts.com to purchase the speakers, and i purchased 5 1/2 inch speakers for the front, 4 inch speakers for the back, and today many months later, i installed 3 1/4 inch pioneer speakers on each door.

Sounds great, and i've never had trouble with any ohms.

Total, i have spent

60 on 5 1/2" speakers
50 on 4" speakers
50 on 3 1/4" speakers

150 for 500w (max) amp
50 for 500w (max) woofer
20 on all the wires

200 on alpine headunit

Nothing on Labor.

I'd say do it yourself. Only hard part is hooking up an amp in the trunk. Running the wire through the firewall is a bitch and a half.

if you have any ?s, just email or PM me.

Jeff
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote