318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 979,832 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-27-2002, 09:06 AM   #1
Sophia

I am interested in getting some new gauges - i think the stock are pretty ugly! well i ran into 2 different sites selling the gauges, and i am unsure which is right for the ti, or if any is right. Can anyone help? Here are the sites:
http://www.procarparts.com/store/dis...W-E36-9298-IG2
http://www.importvision.com/PickAcce...p?PartMake=BMW
(this site has a long list - the gauge is located near the middle of the page, named bmw indiglo gauge, e36)

any help is much appreciated. by the way i got my clear sides and corners installed and they look awesome! :P Thanks.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:46 PM   #2
J!m

Vehicles

The ti does not have the MPG gage that the other E36's do. That's not saying it won't work, just something to keep in mind...
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 02:22 AM   #3
bimmerbot

Where is the MPG calculation made? Is the data sent to the gauges just like the other data, or is there a chip in the instrument panel that makes the calculation?

Just wondering how hard it is to retrofit a ti with a MPG gauge. I miss that from my M3. More information is better than less.
bimmerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 12:38 AM   #4
Sophia

Yeah I noticed that the TI doesn't have the mpg gauge. Has anyone installed an indiglow gauge set in a TI? I've seen it done before, but I think the owner transplanted an M3 dash into the TI, as it had the M symbol on the gauge. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 01:06 AM   #5
1996 328ti

Vehicles

The MPG gauge comes from the DME.
It is possible to make it work when doing a conversion to a 6. I believe in Europe it is oil pressure or temp.
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 03:12 AM   #6
bimmerbot

Sophia,

I've seen indiglo gauges with the M logo for sale on eBay, but I'm positive they're not OEM. The logo isn't quite right. Maybe the ones you've seen are different.

Regarding indiglo gauges in general, I've read that they have a tendency to burn out fairly quickly, which would explain why some of them are priced pretty low.

UUC Motorwerks sells a dark yellow/light orange indiglo that looks decent, but they don't have them available for non-M3 E36s yet. They cost over $100, which makes me think they're probably better made, especially since UUC has pretty high standards.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:16 AM   #7
bimmerbot

Steven,

By saying that the MPG gauge can be made to work with a 6, do you also mean that it cannot work with the stock engine?
Old 12-10-2002, 05:47 PM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

The euro M3 has an oil temp gage in the MPG location of the US M3. The four cylinder ECU does not support the MPG option, but the sixes do. extra wires would need to be run from the cluster to the computer for it to work. I prefer the oil temp gage, but there is no way to make it work on a US car. If you have an Euro motor, and you are using the euro ECU, then you have to use the Euro cluster with it, or there will be a constant fault code. BUT, I was thinking that you could use the Euro cluster/ECU/engine with a US cluster overlay, to get MPH in stead of KPH. I THINK this will work, as the scale should be similar, if not exactly the same.

I have noticed that most of the "indiglo" gage overlays have a seperate MPG overlay. I would expect that you can simply not use the MPG option in the gage set, and all will be fine. Dimentionally, it's the same, but the tach and speedo may use a different scale for the M3 and ti. Most likely so.

If you want an "M" on your cluster, you can purchase the small "M" sticker used for the three-spoke steering wheel and "M" rims from Bekkers Import for around $4.00 each. You can stick them anywhere you want!

------------------
"Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"
Old 12-11-2002, 02:00 AM   #9
1996 328ti

Vehicles

The MPG works on my 328ti with an M3 cluster.
I couldn't tell you how the previous owner installed it though.
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:43 PM   #10
J!m

Vehicles

He aparently added the needed wires to make it work. They simply do not exist in the stock ti wiring harness because unlike US made cars, BMW makes the wiring harness for the options in the car as-ordered, so there are no extra wires in the harnesses.

US cars (well they did, I don't know about newer cars) ran wires for all options, even if you did not have them, to save production costs and inventory of 25 different wiring harnesses...