318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Manan^BMW

Vehicles
Default Alterator/ Battery Problem?

Chaps,

Brief summary: I have been running with the battery light on for about 4-5 days. Chose not to do anything about it and of course, the inevitable happened. She sputtered to a halt. Of course, I knew it could possibly be only 2 reasons: a. battery gone kaput and b. the alternator has packed up.

Called the AAA guy and he helped to jump start the car. But about a minute later the engine stopped again. Now, I am guessing it is the alternator which is at fault here. Do correct me if I am wrong please.

Question: Towed her to a AAA certified garage. I have been to this garage previously when I had the starter motor replaced with a remanufactured one. I ended up with a bill of $650. So, keeping that in mind what sort of bill am I looking at now? I did a bit of digging and found that the price of OEM/remanufactured alternators range between $150-280. Is it a complex job? As in complex = more labour = bigger bill. Or it should be pretty straight forward? Which are some of the better alternator brands to pick from? In a different post I have read the name Valeo come up. Is that a good brand?

Will appreciate any insight/experience/help.

Thanks very much

Manan
Manan^BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
318iM44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan^BMW View Post
Chaps,

Brief summary: I have been running with the battery light on for about 4-5 days. Chose not to do anything about it and of course, the inevitable happened. She sputtered to a halt. Of course, I knew it could possibly be only 2 reasons: a. battery gone kaput and b. the alternator has packed up.

Called the AAA guy and he helped to jump start the car. But about a minute later the engine stopped again. Now, I am guessing it is the alternator which is at fault here. Do correct me if I am wrong please.

Question: Towed her to a AAA certified garage. I have been to this garage previously when I had the starter motor replaced with a remanufactured one. I ended up with a bill of $650. So, keeping that in mind what sort of bill am I looking at now? I did a bit of digging and found that the price of OEM/remanufactured alternators range between $150-280. Is it a complex job? As in complex = more labour = bigger bill. Or it should be pretty straight forward? Which are some of the better alternator brands to pick from? In a different post I have read the name Valeo come up. Is that a good brand?

Will appreciate any insight/experience/help.

Thanks very much

Manan
If you have not fixed it, that brand name is pretty much original part.

The process to replace it, is not difficult, as long as you have patience, time, and basic hand tools.

The DIY is available online for free, by simply using the keywords.
318iM44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
Shellback

just in case...http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38803
PM me...
Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Manan^BMW

Vehicles

318iM44 : Finding time is the trick, isnt it? Unfortunately, was in a bit of a hurry so real time for DIY. But thanks much.

Shellback: Thanks for the reply. I did see that post.

With Regards,
Manan
Manan^BMW is offline   Reply With Quote