318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,011,992 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-04-2005, 04:52 AM   #1
Billan

Default HID Ballast Question

For those of you with HID in your TI where did you mount the ballasts for the lights? I was looking around under there today and I can not find a good flat and fairly dry spot for them to go. I will be doing the install this weekend. Thanks!
Billan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:03 AM   #2
ZeroG
I miss my Ti....... :(

Default Different on each side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billan
For those of you with HID in your TI where did you mount the ballasts for the lights? I was looking around under there today and I can not find a good flat and fairly dry spot for them to go. I will be doing the install this weekend. Thanks!
On the passenger side I used some velcro and mounted it to the windshield resivoir. The drivers side was a little harder using a zip tie I mounted it between the radiator and the front nose pannel.

-Chad
Old 05-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
m-technik_ti

I mounted mine on the wheel-well area on both sides with double sided 3m tape. If you want pics, let me know.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
maurolin

yeah, pics will be nice.

I have not mounted mine.... they are flopping around everywhere. hehe
I have E46 M3 hosings and ballasts....
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Billan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik_ti
I mounted mine on the wheel-well area on both sides with double sided 3m tape. If you want pics, let me know.
Pictures would be great. If you can't post them here please send them to Billan@comcast.net. Thanks!

I will post pics after my install this weekend.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Mendi3

Inside the bumper, right behind the outside black moulding there is a nice flat space, I did mine with 3M tape as well. I had to remove the fog lights to access that area. Make sure you clean the area before you attached the ballasts otherwise the tape will not adhere good enough.

Good luck!
1995 318ti E36 Alpine White III DASC (RIP)
1996 328i 4Dr Artic Silver (RIP)
1999 M3 Estoril Blue Metallic RMS Vortech SC
2001 325i E46 Alpine White - Sports Package (SOLD)
2005 E46 M3 Coupe SMG
Mendi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
m-technik_ti

Quote:
Pictures would be great. If you can't post them here please send them to Billan@comcast.net. Thanks!

I will post pics after my install this weekend.
I'll take some pics of the mounting positions tomorrow hopefully and post them up.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:49 PM   #8
m-technik_ti

Sorry for the delay guys. Here are the promised pics.

Driver side:

Passenger side:
Old 05-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #9
H3_2.1-ti

Hey Billan,
I've installed a lot of HID conversion kits on both headlights and foglights and I have found the best place to mount the ballasts is inside on the bumper reinforcement. The two major reasons are : Stealthness and protection from water. If you look inside the engine bay, you would never know that there is a HID kit installed this way. The easiest way to access this area is to remove the headlights.

Cheers,
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:35 AM   #10
Billan

Quote:
Sorry for the delay guys. Here are the promised pics.
Thanks for the pics, our engine bays are quite different though. I am assuming this is because I have a 98 with the M44. My air box is where your ballast is on that side. I did not have a chance to install them this weekend due to a member of my family going to the hospital and the lousy weather. As soon as I get them put in I will post up some pics. Thanks again!
Old 05-09-2005, 03:38 AM   #11
Billan

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3_2.1-ti
Hey Billan,
I've installed a lot of HID conversion kits on both headlights and foglights and I have found the best place to mount the ballasts is inside on the bumper reinforcement. The two major reasons are : Stealthness and protection from water. If you look inside the engine bay, you would never know that there is a HID kit installed this way. The easiest way to access this area is to remove the headlights.

Cheers,
Thanks for the tip, I would rather not remove my headlights as they were a pain to align right the first time. Can I access this area by removing the plastic cover that goes above the radiator? I can reach down into the front bumper with this removed. If I can not find another clean install place I will remove the headlights like you suggested. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2005, 03:44 AM   #12
Mendi3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I would rather not remove my headlights as they were a pain to align right the first time. Can I access this area by removing the plastic cover that goes above the radiator? I can reach down into the front bumper with this removed. If I can not find another clean install place I will remove the headlights like you suggested. Thanks!
Removing the fog lights will give you the same access. It's a little harder to work form this are since you either have to lift the car or get down on the ground and work your way up.

I agree with H3_2.1-ti, this is the best place do attach the ballasts. It keeps pretty dry there. This is the same spot where I have mine. My 2 cents.
1995 318ti E36 Alpine White III DASC (RIP)
1996 328i 4Dr Artic Silver (RIP)
1999 M3 Estoril Blue Metallic RMS Vortech SC
2001 325i E46 Alpine White - Sports Package (SOLD)
2005 E46 M3 Coupe SMG
Mendi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:13 AM   #13
m-technik_ti

Quote:
Thanks for the pics, our engine bays are quite different though. I am assuming this is because I have a 98 with the M44. My air box is where your ballast is on that side. I did not have a chance to install them this weekend due to a member of my family going to the hospital and the lousy weather. As soon as I get them put in I will post up some pics. Thanks again!
hmmm...I didnt realize that they changed the position of the airbox on the 98'. Just out of curiosity do you have a pic?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
H3_2.1-ti

Billan,
If you don't want to remove your headlights, you can access the bumper reinforcement from underneath: Jack the front of the car, then put it on jack stands. Remove the front wheels/tires, then proceed to remove the triangular splash guards on each side. They are held on by four 8mm hex bolts. Then remove the two 8mm hex bolts that hold the front of the fender liner and pull back on the liner. You will now be able to access the ballast mounting area. It sounds like a long process, but it isn't.

Cheers.
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:36 PM   #15
Billan

Quote:
hmmm...I didnt realize that they changed the position of the airbox on the 98'. Just out of curiosity do you have a pic?
My apologies, My airbox is in the same location but I have an alarm horn and some other factory gizmo in that space so I didn’t remember having any extra room there. I will take some pics to show you the other item that is next to my air box. I ended up mounting them in the front bumper as you guys suggested. I did it the easy way though, I went in through the fog light opening. I have the igniters mounted to the back of the high beam covers cause they are very small and light. I will post some pics as soon as I have the time to take some. Thanks again for all of the help!