318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,011,128 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 01-04-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
fitrider420

Default Guys... Send me ALL you got

I need everything that will help my car run with more power more torque and more VROOM! I need something to make my wheels spin out when i hit the gas and bass in the exauhst and i want anything that will help me get more hp, acceleration and things i can do to my 97 automatic 318ti m44. HELP MEEE!! money is not an object. i love this car and want to keep it for as long as i can help me!!!! I included pictures maybe it can help you guys see what i need or what will help. if not just let me know what you KNOW will help.! thaaaaaaaaanksss cosmetic work too!!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
Marv17

if money is not an object then you should just do a motor swap. Get a S52 off the M3 and install a twin screw supercharger. that my friend will get you the power you are seeking.
the M44 will not get you much power without having to drop in a supercharger that is no longer in production. it will have to be found by an individual who is selling it and that will give you like 205hp tops. only if everything is tunned correctly and on a healthy motor.
or if you get a metric mechanic motor that is pricey but still wont get you what a twin screw supercharged S52 motor can get you.

next you'll need a nice exhaust system, a software from like dinan or nickg or autowerkes.

then for cosmetics you should go with black out grills, depos headlights, smoked/clear corners and tails. rims, supsension. CF hood.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
fitrider420

how much hp would u say i have now with nothing done to it??
i still wanna keep the motor. just changed everything on it... i dont know y but that feels to me like its still a 318ti
Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 AM   #4
Bluebimma

Sorry if this seems mean or blunt, but are you serious!!!!!!

The m44 is weak, the automatic transmission, weak. If money is not an object and you want to go fast, buy another car. You cant keep the m44/auto and expect to go fast at all. If you want more hp/tq, you need a completely different engine and likely a transmission because autos are weak for the e36 chassis.

If you want to "seem" like youre car is fast and has power, have a custom exhaust done and have the dme reprogrammed for the extra 12-15hp youll get from your 138hp engine.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Old 01-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #5
HuGo

LS1. LoL. Please do a search. Not much you can do with the M44. Especially if its an auto. You can add all the basic parts but still wont make your tires "spin"

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #6
Maverix

Vehicles

I think Downing Atlanta might have a few super chargers left. Not entirely sure. Contact them and find out. Costs $3.1k for the kit though.

And if you want your tires to spin without spending more than $5, buy some oil and rub it around your rear tires. You'll sit in your drive way trying to back it out for an hour.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Old 01-04-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
BakeR318

http://www.metricmechanic.com/prices...ng-engines.php

If money is not an object and you would still like to get the economical benefits of a 4 potter, go for this. 325 max hp output from their fastest m44 engine sounds pretty sweet to me.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Three wordsSsSsSsSs...

Cobra Shift Knob
Old 01-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Didn't we already answer this same basic question for this week? Wait until next week to ask again, and use the search function while you're waiting. :-D

BTW... if money is no object and you need more "vroom," why waste time using this car as a starting point? Get a newer, faster car to start with and make your life easier.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
Old 01-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #10
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

In all seriousness though, I've done extensive mods to my car and it wasn't until after I installed the new sparkling chrome cobra head shift knob that I noticed an immediate improvement. My car doesn't have an engine in it at the moment and I never actually left my garage, but it did feel a heck of a lot fastertrue story.

You could also get a nice open differential instead of the crappy limited slip ones they put in from the factory. 19" wheels are bigger in diameter, thus your car will accelerate faster, but don't get those flimsy aluminum ones on ebay, try to find some chromoly or cast iron ones, they're stronger. I typically run about 20psi lower tire pressure for grip in the corners. If you weld your doors shut, you could eliminate all of the heavy hardware, shave the door handles, locking mechanisms and unnecessary junk. Forget about carbon fiber, just run hoodless, it'll help keep the engine cool. While you're at it, go ahead and remove the entire exhaust from the headers back as well as the intake. Running open exhaust and open throttle body will drastically help your engine breathe.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
In all seriousness though, I've done extensive mods to my car and it wasn't until after I installed the new sparkling chrome cobra head shift knob that I noticed an immediate improvement. My car doesn't have an engine in it at the moment and I never actually left my garage, but it did feel a heck of a lot fastertrue story.
LoL i was about to say wth, how did you feel an improvement if you don't even have an engine

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
Maverix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post

You could also get a nice open differential instead of the crappy limited slip ones they put in from the factory. 19" wheels are bigger in diameter, thus your car will accelerate faster, but don't get those flimsy aluminum ones on ebay, try to find some chromoly or cast iron ones, they're stronger. I typically run about 20psi lower tire pressure for grip in the corners. If you weld your doors shut, you could eliminate all of the heavy hardware, shave the door handles, locking mechanisms and unnecessary junk. Forget about carbon fiber, just run hoodless, it'll help keep the engine cool. While you're at it, go ahead and remove the entire exhaust from the headers back as well as the intake. Running open exhaust and open throttle body will drastically help your engine breathe.
Pwuahaha!!

I missed the good ol' days.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Old 01-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
HuGo

Open headers is the way to go but it will be VERY loud.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 01-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
ATF

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

/thread

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
Old 01-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
b.u.ti-ful

Unhook this intake for a few days and see if there is any difference:

We're just teasing ya bro - welcome to the madhouse.

BTW, you might try cleaning up your engine area with a rag and some de-greaser.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Closed Thread