318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
Yesterday 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
Yesterday 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 286 Views
1997 manual 318TI M...
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 1,692 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-04-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
buckowens

Default Noise when turning left

Hi all,

I have a recently purchased 1998 with about 102,000 miles. When turning left at any speed, I am hearing and feeling (through the automatic shifter), a vibration that coincides with vehicle speed. It does seem to be more noticeable now that the weather has turned cold. I have seen the other similar posts, and was wondering about the thoughts as to the center bearing being the culprit. The car was taken to the dealer at about 87,000 miles for the same complaint and they were not able to duplicate the problem.

I leave for Iraq in a few weeks so I am not sure whether I will get it fixed quickly. I am considering taking it to the dealer again if it is not something I can easily fix.

Thanks in advance.
Steve
buckowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

seems more likely to be wheel bearings to me (front left). if you put the front up and turn the front left wheel, how does it feel?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

How do the front tires look,is there considerably more wear on oneside than the other? That would kind of hint which side it's on.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
buckowens

The tires are almost new. Would the wheel bearings transmit the vibration up through the shifter? I will have to try to get it on a lift this week and have a look.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
bluebastion

Hey, I am the one who posted the problem a while back.. can't remember if I did it under my original name (C4-C)... yeah, I'm actually an old schooler here. The noise does go away when it gets warmer... and I have not been able to pinpoint exactly what/where it is. But no doubt it comes more from the shifter area. It's not a wheel or ball joint problem it seems. I think it may have something with the catalytic converter.. but I'm not sure yet. You might what to check that out first if you are willing to bring your car in for a seemingly elusive event. It always happens it seems when it gets to the 40's and the car is just warming up... then goes away after few minutes. Let me know what comes of it... if you plan on doing something about it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...on/banner1.jpg
"Nothing's cut and dry in liquid."
bluebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckowens
The tires are almost new. Would the wheel bearings transmit the vibration up through the shifter? I will have to try to get it on a lift this week and have a look.
i guess you can check the driveline too ... motor mounts, trans mounts, universal joint/guibo, center bearing ... i'd check all wheel bearings as well. from some things i've read, it can be difficult to determine what wheel bearing is bad and the sound can transmit throughout the vehicle.

can you explain what you mean by the vibration being speed dependent that you feel through the automatic shifter?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 12-04-2005, 11:35 PM   #7
buckowens

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. The rate of the vibration increases or decreases as the speed does. Almost feels like something is rubbing, except if I had to characterize the noise I would call it a click more than anything.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:55 AM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

just trying to figure out if it's a driveline issue why it would happen when you turn left. i'm guessing you were looking at the "noice" thread as well, right? i'm going to replace my guibo (some cracking is occuring) and center bearing (good amount of rust and over 200k miles on it) while i'm in there anyway (cat and muffler dropped, all heat shields removed). figure it's good protection if nothing else (and i'll get experience doing it).

Old 01-24-2006, 04:35 AM   #9
snwbrdrbum10

I have the same problem...and i dont know what it s either...when i'm about 75+ and switch lanes to the left. i get a shimmy, and @ slow speeds turning sharp left, i get a click too...so idk..any other ideas? Ball joints?
snwbrdrbum10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:38 AM   #10
1rstbmw!

I have the same problem it goes away when it warms up it's not the cat I cut mine off and it still does it.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:11 AM   #11
snwbrdrbum10

Angry

Mine warms up and is frine too...except @ high speeds...doesnt really matter@ 75+ shimmy still occurs
snwbrdrbum10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
KetteringTi

Anyone: Take the car to an open area. Get it to make the noise, and keep it at that steering angle, speed, etc. so the noise stays consistent. Then put the pedal to the floor. Any difference?
KetteringTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #13
SDKmann

I have the same problem. I think that its because Im running out of power steering fluid. It seems that the noise starts when I take 90 degree corners without slowing down enough. Im going to put some more power steering fluid (oil) in soon and Ill tell you if it makes a difference.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Juni

I have that same problem. With me, the sharper the turn to the left, the fast and louder the clicking noise gets. It only happens in cold weather. I really have no clue what it is. The odd thing is that it only makes the noise when its cold, and only when tunrning left. My bro in law thought it might be a loose tie rod. My left one is loose, I just havent had a chance to get her on the lift and replace the rack and add the new tie rods.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:18 PM   #15
andyman7931

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann
Im going to put some more power steering fluid (oil) in soon and Ill tell you if it makes a difference.
be sure to use ATF
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote