318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Will'sBimmer

Default Problem with my heat!!

My car will not produce any heat. Since some cold weather has moved into my town in the past few days I have noticed a promblem with my Ti. My engine will not heat up past the blue mark. it gets to the edge of the blue and that is it. I try to use the heat during this time and all I get is cool air. This is not good. I figure that if my car was heating up (to the halfway mark) then maybe my heat would work???? But i am not sure. could someone help me out. I need some heat for the upcoming winter.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
aceyx

You need a new thermostat.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
Will'sBimmer

thanks for the advice. i already have a new thermostat out in the garage. so i quess now all i need to do is install it and then bleed the coolant off. well if anyone else has anymore advice, it would be much appreciated.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

Old 10-26-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
CirrusSR22

Yep, most likely a thermostat. If you let your car idle (stopped), will it warm up more than if it was rolling? If so, it's the thermostat stuck open.

I recommend using the bleed instructions on understeer.com. http://understeer.com/waterpump.shtml Step#10
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
adamud

When I first bought my ti, I couldn't get it to move past the first white mark. I replaced the thermo and got my heat and the temp gauge to work. I'm going to agree with everyone else and say its the thermostat.
adamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
aceyx

There's a writeup somewhere. Apart from draining the coolant, it's just a bolt-on part.

Two things:
1. Use penetrating spray like Kroil, PB Blaster, etc, preferrably starting the night before to let it soak in. WD40 is crap.
2. To remove the hoses easier, twist them before pulling to break the seal, and twist back and forth while pulling.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Will'sBimmer

Ok I think this problem is past a new thermostat. I have now noticed that the cable for the turn knob must be broken. Because I can not get it to switch from cold to Hot. It just turns and nothing happens from there. I am hoping that someone on this forum could point me in the right direction about how I can get to this cable and possibly fix the situation. Is there a way I can just pull on the broken cable and get it to switch to Heat and not have to buy a new cable????? All and any help is welcome. I can't drive my car when it is 30 degrees outside and I have no heat. My toes freeze and everything else. Plus no heat means no hot chicks............ help me get the chicks back guys.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

not the best pics, but might help: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...highlight=heat
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Will'sBimmer

Thanks for the quick reply and for the pics. not the best but hey they work for me and have given me insight. thanks cali ti

Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Hey Will, I had this happen to me a couple of months ago. There was a recall a while back and the dealer was supposed to put a screw through the little yellow tab to hold it in place and keep it from slipping out of it's detent. On my car, the dealer had already performed this mod, but the yellow clip with the screw ripped a big chunk out of my heater box. After several minutes of racking my brain, I decided to ziptie the cable to the steel tubular support frame under the dash where the cable intersects it. With the yellow tab firmly wedged into it's detent, the cable is now snug as a bug. There's no chance of it ever slipping out again and the routing of the cable allows smooth turning of the knob. I tested it about a hundred times before I buttoned everything back up and it works perfectly now. Good Luck, LMK if you have anymore problems getting it to work.

BTW, you'll get better access if you take the glove compartment and kick panel out from the passenger's side legwell.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #11
Will'sBimmer

Default UpDate

I went out to my dad's friend's body shop. My dad and me changed the Thermostat with a brand new one. So now my engine temp. is exactly where it should be. The car runs a lot better when it is warm. But my heat is still having a problem. I know now that it is not my cable. When I turn it to heat it begins to get maybe like luke warm or just a few degrees below that but you can tell it is trying. But just not hard enough. Now my dad's friend suggest that it is this small grey thing that is located on the driver's side pretty close to the firewall. He says that it is a water pump that helps the heat or something. I need to confirm this will of you all to make sure that I am headed in the right direction of getting a replacement piece and fixing the problem. Thanks for any help.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:48 AM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

#5? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...02&hg=64&fg=18
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 01-20-2008, 02:54 AM   #13
Will'sBimmer

Yeah Number 5$ Do you know where I can get that fairly cheap?

Old 01-20-2008, 03:04 AM   #14
Will'sBimmer

I see that bavauto.com has the part for 75. anyone else find it any cheaper??

Old 01-20-2008, 03:43 AM   #15
cali-ti
aka Stabby

tischer bmw: $70.40 http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214336

autohausaz.com and pelicanparts.com were both more expensive.