318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,310,579 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,595 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #76
minicoop900

i wonder if he could so a widebody out of cf?
if he can do normal fenders in sure he could just flare those and for the rear either a rivet on kit or something?

^being rebuilt^

until then:
daily car:
96' Blue DASC'd ti with koni coilovers
slowly progressing...
weekend car:
85 1/2' 944 Porsche
no a/c, p/s, gutted cat, loud as hell exhaust, loud as hell sound system
minicoop900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #77
jaimito79

And I know you're giving your car up as test dummy/blueprint and not so that you can go rice. Lol. .[/QUOTE]

We'll see Ary agrees to. I'm not giving it up for nothing. I want some fenders if possible, maybe a vorsteiner style hood. Since the frame is a bit tweak, I may not be a good canidate??? This deal hasn't even discussed between him and me. No promises to anyone. He's the manufacture. We still have to talk next week.

Road to redemption...
jaimito79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #78
FMD

You don't need carbon fiber to bolt on a rivet fender kit. Just buy a kit for a 240 and cut it to size.
FMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #79
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimito79 View Post
We'll see Ary agrees to. I'm not giving it up for nothing. I want some fenders if possible, maybe a vorsteiner style hood. Since the frame is a bit tweak, I may not be a good canidate??? This deal hasn't even discussed between him and me. No promises to anyone. He's the manufacture. We still have to talk next week. .

You misunderstood me.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:47 AM   #80
jaimito79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
You misunderstood me.

Road to redemption...
jaimito79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #81
Maverix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
Yea I know but BMW knows exactly what they were doing when they did that. I am sure they reinforced a lot of stuff for that. Now us just cutting out our roof and throwing in a CF roof is something else. Big difference buddy. Doesn't even come close to comparing kid.
I'm talking about the new BMW styling. If you look at the very first post in this thread, I've signed up for a "overlay". I just want something to cover my roof, just like the Vitesse CF pillar covers. All it is, is a flimsy piece that sits flush. Weighs almost nothing, covers my hail damage, and looks good.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #82
Maverix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimito79 View Post
And I know you're giving your car up as test dummy/blueprint and not so that you can go rice. Lol. .
We'll see Ary agrees to. I'm not giving it up for nothing. I want some fenders if possible, maybe a vorsteiner style hood. Since the frame is a bit tweak, I may not be a good canidate??? This deal hasn't even discussed between him and me. No promises to anyone. He's the manufacture. We still have to talk next week.[/QUOTE]

A vorsteiner hood for the 4dr would be badass! I would definitely want one.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #83
pcalahane

Vehicles

he already has a widebody kit for our cars. he is making a vented gtr hood, and rear hatch. for the hatch... who wants a wiperless/streamlined one and who wants one with the tacky wiper? i say if your going to drop for the hatch, make it hella sick... not just oem. also... i was thinking instead of our oem lip we could make it look more like a csl style lip. opinions?

-1996 318TI ACTIVE PACKAGE (ALPINE WEISS): 75-0MPH IN 3 ROLLS AND AN END TO END FLIP.
Mods: Complete M3 Body Kit, Carbon Fiber Side Mirrors, Carbon Fiber GTR Hood, Carbon Fiber Hatch, Carbon Fiber Sunroof Panel, Blacked Out Ambers and Taillights, 17' TSW Nagaro Rims, European Front License Plate, Sripped Out Interior, NRG Deep Dish Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Ball, Pioneer Avic N2 Stereo (Navigation/Bluetooth/CD), Cosmo Racing Cold Air Intake, Passenger Airbag Delete, Rear Wiper Delete, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Projector Fog Lights, manual windows
-1996 318TI CALIFORNIA EDITION (SCHWARZ ZWEI): BACK IN BLACK!
Current Mods: European Front License Plate, Rear Wiper Delete, Bosch Miata Battery, Blacked Out Ambers, 17" Contours (non-staggered), Kenwood Stereo (Bluetooth/USB/CD), City Lights, Corner Running Light Delete, Rear Taillight Mod (//M style brake light), Passport 9500xi Radar Detector (Hardwired), Laguna Seca Decal, Stripped Out Interior, Debaffled Airbox, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Fog Light Delete, M3 front bumper w/ lip, Sparco Hood Pins, Sparco Trunk Springs, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob, Rokkor Coilovers, Magnaflow Muffler (11225)

Whats Coming Next: NRG Steering wheel, Corbeau Forza Seats and Sliders (X2), NRG Race Style Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, UUC Clutch Stop,, M3 Side Moldings, Manual Window regulators
pcalahane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #84
mohaughn

Just chiming back in on this. As someone who has done extensive weight reduction on their car, I don't think a carbon hatch is going to do that much. Most of the weight is in the glass.

Using lexan on a street car is a bad idea, it scratches very easily, as well is it starts to get sun damage and change colors. Most of the weight in the hatch is where it is structurally strong so that it can handle being opened and closed. After a year or two I think the lexan would start to look really bad. A lot of people that run lexan windshields use tear off protectors or replace the windshield when it starts to have issues. Even then, the weight savings from glass to lexan isn't that big of a deal, it is more so about replacement costs in areas where tracks have a lot of rocks and windshields frequently get damaged.

If you get a full CF hatch I would be willing to bet that on a street car where the hatch is frequently used that the hatch will start to crack and delaminate before to long. You certainly couldn't use the hatch struts to keep it open. There would have to be runners up the side of the hatch around the glass, and it would have to be very thick CF, or have some kind of metal reinforcement so that the weight of the bottom of the hatch doesn't crack the small area for material around the window.

Small pieces of CF are strong, but longer pieces don't have much rigidity, so if you are not careful you can very easily crack large CF panels. I think we have a few CF hoods on here where the CF has cracked from usage and the top layer is starting to peel. I think it would be much worse on a rear hatch.

You might save a few pounds, but the extra hassle and lack of strength in a CF hatch will cause more headaches on a street car.

Now a full track car, just install it and pin it in place, if you need to get into the rear area, completely remove the hatch like most racers do with their composite hoods.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #85
Marv17

what does he have available for the widebody for us? fenders and rear quarter panels?
how about a roof spoiler or hartge trunk spoiler? something on those lines.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #86
KetteringTi

I wish someone would make some rivet on CF fender flares. I know the 240sx flares work with a little trimming, but some purpose built flares would be awesome. They aren't very expensive or labor intensive..
KetteringTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #87
pcalahane

Vehicles

he has a reiger style roof spoiler, he wants to make a csl style hatch, he has many types of inserts for a m3 style rear bumper, he has carbon front lip for m3 front bumper, and ha has a whole widebody kit for our ti's. fornt and rear fenders. all of these products will be able to be made in both carbon fiber or fiberglass. he says anything you want he will make as long as there is a demand (5+). that means everything from doors to center counsil and dash.

-1996 318TI ACTIVE PACKAGE (ALPINE WEISS): 75-0MPH IN 3 ROLLS AND AN END TO END FLIP.
Mods: Complete M3 Body Kit, Carbon Fiber Side Mirrors, Carbon Fiber GTR Hood, Carbon Fiber Hatch, Carbon Fiber Sunroof Panel, Blacked Out Ambers and Taillights, 17' TSW Nagaro Rims, European Front License Plate, Sripped Out Interior, NRG Deep Dish Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Ball, Pioneer Avic N2 Stereo (Navigation/Bluetooth/CD), Cosmo Racing Cold Air Intake, Passenger Airbag Delete, Rear Wiper Delete, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Projector Fog Lights, manual windows
Current Mods: European Front License Plate, Rear Wiper Delete, Bosch Miata Battery, Blacked Out Ambers, 17" Contours (non-staggered), Kenwood Stereo (Bluetooth/USB/CD), City Lights, Corner Running Light Delete, Rear Taillight Mod (//M style brake light), Passport 9500xi Radar Detector (Hardwired), Laguna Seca Decal, Stripped Out Interior, Debaffled Airbox, Blacked Out Kidney Grills, Fog Light Delete, M3 front bumper w/ lip, Sparco Hood Pins, Sparco Trunk Springs, NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob, Rokkor Coilovers, Magnaflow Muffler (11225)

Whats Coming Next: NRG Steering wheel, Corbeau Forza Seats and Sliders (X2), NRG Race Style Steering Wheel with MOMO Hub, UUC Clutch Stop,, M3 Side Moldings, Manual Window regulators
Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #88
pcalahane

Vehicles

the point of the CF hatch isnt as much about looksing weight as much as it is about standing out, looking cool, etc. its like taking off the rear wiper for some... it adds something to the look. thats what we are doing. just fyi... he wants to use the glass still so that will be all the weight you need. and before you diss him or what he is trying to do i suggest you look at your Euro mags cuz alot of his cars and two that are his end up in there (or on the cover!) so he knows what he is doing. it will be completely worth it

Old 10-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #89
Marv17

do you have any pictures of what he has already so we can get a better idea of what he has already? ie. fender flares and spoilers.
I think there are plenty of guys here that would be interested in a hartge style spoiler replica.
and maybe a duckbill style roof spoiler like on NAmotorsports.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #90
KetteringTi

Find out how much for just some basic rivet on 240sx style fender flares. Fiberglass or CF.
KetteringTi is offline   Reply With Quote