318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,092 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,103 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,445 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 131,419 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
weezer

Angry Overheating AGAIN!!!

So I was on my way to the local chapter Autox, when lining for toll, I noticed traces of steam and the temp gauge going up.......FAST! Luckily I didn't let it overheat to the point of.......no return.
SO I pulled over and let the car cool.
I'm not sure what could be this time, not even running the AC (fan comes on) helped the cooling.
I also noticed that this time I couldn't get the any heat inside the car.
I replaced the thermostat (which failed open) and also the water pump back in April.
Any ideas?
I'm thinking the thermostat failed again.......but if it stays closed, no overheating issue; if it stays closed, I will be able to get heat inside.
The only other thing I could think of is the stupid water pump.
So, I had it towed back to home......did not want to risk blowing a head gasket.

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
weezer

The car was fine last week; my wife and I went camping and drove around some twisty hills last weekend and no issues.

16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Old 06-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
weezer

Bumpsky!

Old 06-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
weezer

Bump

Old 06-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
aceyx

Have you bled the cooling system since?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
weezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
Have you bled the cooling system since?
I took the thermostat and the water pump.
The 2 month old dealer bought thermostat seemed okay, but when I immersed it in hot water, the spring did not move.
The water pump, on the other hand, cracked both on the impeller housing and the brackets (casting). I will replace this tomorrow and see if there are other issues after that.
Thanks, aceyx

Old 06-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
pnosker

Wow... cracked impeller housing and brackets? that's crazy
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #8
MN_318ti

I had a problem with overheating this last week. After the initial overheating and "filling" the overflow, the car would continue to overheat at lights and slow traffic. I read some of the past threads on this site and found that I did not correctly fill the radiator.

It sounds like you found the true source of the problem, but be sure to open the bleeder hole when refilling the radiator.
MN_318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
weezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_318ti View Post
I had a problem with overheating this last week. After the initial overheating and "filling" the overflow, the car would continue to overheat at lights and slow traffic. I read some of the past threads on this site and found that I did not correctly fill the radiator.

It sounds like you found the true source of the problem, but be sure to open the bleeder hole when refilling the radiator.
Yep.....I replaced both these parts in April, bled it a few times. Had no problems until yesterday. That will the last time I buy anything from Carpartswholesale.com....an Ebay vendor.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
weezer

So, I got the NEW dealer bought water pump and thermostat on Tuesday, car worked fine, drove it around a few times in traffic, no problems.
Today, went to run some errands.....luckily near the house, the temp gauge started inching up again just in front of the house.
Looked around the engine bay and smelled coolant when I saw steam coming from around the radiator. I saw a stream of coolant coming from the front of the radiator. Radiator shot................
Bought a Behr OEM replacement with overnight shipping, hopefully to receive it tomorrow and install it myself.
HOPEFULLY..............this is the end of the overheating issues.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #11
weezer

I guess those articles were true.............replace water pump and radiator around 100k................my car is around 98K.
Eventhough I replaced the water pump twice now within 3-4 months.....
Another issue also is not to overtighten the water pump when installing it.
That may cause to crack the impeller housing due to pressure.