318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 337,934 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-06-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
gadgetphreak

Default It's Hammerstand time...

So I picked up the Hammerstand from Bavauto.com

and installed it this weekend. With it all the way at it's lowest setting it will still allow the clutch pedal to depress far enough for it to let the car start. It allows you to shift more smoothly by not requiring the clutch pedal to be pushed in as far for each shift, very cool.

Here's my question, what is the process to disable the clutch switch so that I can adjust the throw even shorter?

If I try to shorten the motion further at this point, the car won't start. It's probably pretty obvious how to bypass it if I crawl under the dash, but before doing that I thought I would see if anyone knew the process and any potential issues first...

Thanks,
Gadget

1998 318ti M-Sport - Jet Black w/Millpoint RedBlack interior

Pics & Info here...

gadgetphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:06 AM   #2
rendoll911

i was wondering the same thing... anyone know?
rendoll911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
L84THSKY

I read somewhere how to make the clutch stop work with our cars. Instead of bypassing the switch, you just add a small block or rubber bump that extends out from the pedal. That way it reaches the switch when starting.

I will see if I can find where I read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetphreak
So I picked up the Hammerstand from Bavauto.com

and installed it this weekend. With it all the way at it's lowest setting it will still allow the clutch pedal to depress far enough for it to let the car start. It allows you to shift more smoothly by not requiring the clutch pedal to be pushed in as far for each shift, very cool.

Here's my question, what is the process to disable the clutch switch so that I can adjust the throw even shorter?

If I try to shorten the motion further at this point, the car won't start. It's probably pretty obvious how to bypass it if I crawl under the dash, but before doing that I thought I would see if anyone knew the process and any potential issues first...

Thanks,
Gadget

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
GDB

That's a really good idea. My thoughts are to just duct tape the switch so it is always engaged, but I like your idea better.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
L84THSKY

It ain't my idea....but I'd like to think that I could have thought of it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
That's a really good idea. My thoughts are to just duct tape the switch so it is always engaged, but I like your idea better.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 03-08-2005, 02:19 AM   #6
gadgetphreak

I did think of that, but I hadn't determined a way I feel will be secure enough... My concern would be being out somewhere and having the rubber bumper come off and then it won't engage and I will have to dig out the wrench to adjust the hammerstand and.... oh well you get the idea.

Let me know if you find that link.

Pics & Info here...

Old 03-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #7
rendoll911

this is off topic but i just looked at your pictures gadget... and damn that is a beauty

such a nice ti
rendoll911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #8
L84THSKY

Put a rubber bump on it, then wrap a hose clamp around it. Then it ain't goin' nowhere.....

Quote:
I did think of that, but I hadn't determined a way I feel will be secure enough... My concern would be being out somewhere and having the rubber bumper come off and then it won't engage and I will have to dig out the wrench to adjust the hammerstand and.... oh well you get the idea.

Let me know if you find that link.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-08-2005, 11:37 PM   #9
bmw///m3///

I definitely considered this mod but its gotta reduce yor clutch life in some way or they would have installed it stock on m3s or something???
bmw///m3/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:40 PM   #10
L84THSKY

Good point.....any rebuttals????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw///m3///
I definitely considered this mod but its gotta reduce yor clutch life in some way or they would have installed it stock on m3s or something???

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-09-2005, 02:31 AM   #11
schussey

bigger clutch stops are the ****! i have the one from rogue engineering, the best $10 i have spent on my car...
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:39 AM   #12
gadgetphreak

Rendoll911, thanks for the kudos...

Why would it shorten the clutch life? I can see if you set it so high that the clutch just barely engaged that it would continue to slip a bit as you were shifting gears, but that aside what other impact would this have?

I am ejoying having the shorter motion, even though it could be adjusted a lot shorter. Now I just need to get a short shift kit...

It never ends... <sigh>

Pics & Info here...

Old 03-09-2005, 03:50 AM   #13
L84THSKY

Get the M-coupe shifter, it's only $50.00 from the dealer.

Quote:
Rendoll911, thanks for the kudos...

Why would it shorten the clutch life? I can see if you set it so high that the clutch just barely engaged that it would continue to slip a bit as you were shifting gears, but that aside what other impact would this have?

I am ejoying having the shorter motion, even though it could be adjusted a lot shorter. Now I just need to get a short shift kit...

It never ends... <sigh>

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-09-2005, 04:54 AM   #14
bmw///m3///

Quote:

It never ends... <sigh>

You are right but Im looking at it from a long term standpoint. It probably willnot do any harm but it may wear out the clutch pressure plates sonner than usualsince I think its not fully disengeaged from the pressure plate. Dont mean to cause arguments with fellow members but just wanted to give my input. And I still think theres a possiblity of premature clutch failure. Its best to talk to dealer/high experienced bmw tech to get the real answer. I suppose time will tell, I hope im wrong because I want that mod along with m coupe shifter///
bmw///m3/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:24 AM   #15
gadgetphreak

For the record, it didn't sound like you were picking a fight at all... I appreciate the perspectives on this forum, I can always just choose not to listen to someone if I think they are full of S, but I can also choose to evaluate or research what they are saying and potentially save myself some $ and time.

I was just curious as to the reasoning behind your comment so I could consider the point further.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I appreciate it.

Pics & Info here...