318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,003,677 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-07-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
318tiRedLeather

Default Wagner Brake pads

I was looking around for some brake pads for my car and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Wagner ThermoQuiets. Are as good as they say they are? Do any of you guys have them on your cars?
K&N Cone Filter with Heat Shield, Racing Dynamics Strut bar, Blisten yellow sport suspension, Clears all around, Angel eyes, Dinan Engine Chip, Infinity BassLink 10" Sub, Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
318tiRedLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
AutoM3otives

never heard of them.

id stick to whats mostly used.

ate
textar
mintex
hawks
jurid

what exactly are you looking for in a pad? daily driver street use? track use?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Disc brakes squeal and dust.
Get a set of Ultimate Axxis and be sure to use the anti-squeal shims.
I think they come with them attached.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
318tiRedLeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoM3otives
never heard of them.

id stick to whats mostly used.

ate
textar
mintex
hawks
jurid

what exactly are you looking for in a pad? daily driver street use? track use?
Im looking for daily street use, but would like something that can stop me when needed
K&N Cone Filter with Heat Shield, Racing Dynamics Strut bar, Blisten yellow sport suspension, Clears all around, Angel eyes, Dinan Engine Chip, Infinity BassLink 10" Sub, Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
318tiRedLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:29 AM   #5
cossieturbo

Wagner's are ok. I have used them, but they are not even close to Rotex. Rotex Semi-Metallics are... Quiet, Dust-Free, Cheap, Fade resistant & have great cold/hot grip. It took months for my friend to get me to try them and now they are on all of our cars... even the new one. I love them.

Axxis pads are great for racing and heavy cars. I have had many sets of these and would use them on SUVs (if I ever wanted to actually own one) and anything on race day. One of my blokes runs the Rotex on his E30 at the X-Cross and they are outstanding. When X-Crossing, one must understand that street pads are usually more affective because of their cold gripping properties. X-Crossing really does not heat up comp pads unless you are running for several minutes. Blah blah blah.

cossieturbo
cossieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:30 AM   #6
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

I have Mintex pads with the anti squeal pads on them. After a week of driving they started squeking. I took off the tires and pulled apart the caliper and the anti squek pads were peeling off. So i just pulled them off and put the anti squeal goo on the back of the pads. They stopped squeking after a day and haven't squeked since.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #7
J!m

Vehicles

CRC Disc brake quiet.

Red goo.

This stuff works, and is cheap. A bottle will last about a lifetime...

Those goofy plastic pads are neater, but they always wear out.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:53 AM   #8
Panzer_M

Porterfield R4S
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #9
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M
Porterfield R4S
That goes without saying.

Try the rest, then realize you wanted these all along...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
tastade

Where to buy the porterfield R4S? I found some, but they are about $170 for the front pads alone, that is twice what I want to pay. Is there a cheaper place to order them?

Also, how are the Hawk HPS pads or Hawk Ceramic pads?
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:59 AM   #11
cossieturbo

The Hawk HPS is really a great street/track pad. Mind you they will not hold up as well as a true race pad if you are on a full course all day (a given). They can be a little dusty, but not as bad as some of the dealer stuff.

the BMW Dealer network actually has several accounts running with different pad manufactures. This makes things a hit or miss as BMW takes the cheapest contract they can obtain at the time. Sometimes they actually sell pretty good pads, but it seams most of the time they are just junk.

If price really is a factor then just try the Rotex... I pay about $50 per front set (yes, for semi-metallic) and maybe you can find them for that price. The next bit for me is to try the Hawk HPS's. I'll post my time with them.

As for the Porterfield R4S... I would wager that they are actually manufactured by one of the main pad factories and simply distributed under this name. This happens all the time with well known companies such as PBR, Repco, Axxis, Wagner, etc... So many of these blokes sell the same pad under their name. THEY ARE IN IT TO MAKE MONEY not sort out the best pad for us!

Here is a link that has the "Porterfield R4S" at a better price: http://www.vacmotorsports.com/cgi-bi...an=Porterfield

I don't mean to put anyone out, but it's all about business in the end.

cossieturbo
Old 02-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
tastade

Thanks for the info! Helped a lot. I will probably go with the Hawk HPS. Cost isn't a huge issue, but I wanted to keep them around $80 an axel for pads, so when I found out the R4S was $170, that put me off a little

the VAC motorsports link expired a few days ago, it comes up with a GoDaddy page saying it expired on the 5th.

Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2006, 06:49 AM   #13
cossieturbo

Here, type in this website "www.vacmotorsports.com". You may have some Ad-Wear on your Computer. Try going to "www.Lavasoft.com" and run their free Ad-Aware program. You can also hit "www.trendmicro.com" and use their Virus, etc... scan. You may have to update your Java Software to version 6 on the Trend site. Trend Micro is one of the best Virus scan systems on the market and that is why Hotmail uses it.

$90.00 Front and $80.00 for the rear Porterfield R4S street pads. Racing Porterfield R4 are at $170.00. Not a good choice for street.

Understand that in no way am I liable for any and or all information and or advice that any party(s) use within this 318ti.org site... blah blah blah

cossieturbo
Old 04-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #14
tastade

I went with the Hawk HPS pads (I think $80 front/$66 rear) with Brembo rotors in the front, the inexpensive rotors from Tirerack, $37 ea (just OE solid rotors), and BMW factory in the rear, $50 ea. I couldn't justify [to my wife] spending 2x as much for slotted rotors at this time. The combo works very well so far, no squeals and the braking performance is amazing. I just burnished them last night. I also flushed my brake fluid at the same time. So far I am very happy with the setup. The only problem I had were the pads/rotor on the front were slightly thick and I had to whack the caliper with a rubber mallet to get it onto the rotor, even though the caliper was fully compressed.

The pads on the car that squealed so bad were Textar pads, which I think are pretty decent, although they produced a lot of dust. Maybe it was because my rotors were so warn. They only squealed when warm (5 or 10 minutes of driving) and the ambient temperature was above about 50 F or so, and man were they loud. It was embarassing.