318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 994,560 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
vwt3

Default Glueing small parts ?

What would be the best glue to use on small interior parts? I guess most parts are some form of ABS plastic,I know superglue is useless dosn't seam to always hold on plastic. I have some small parts that can be fixed if find the right glue. Trim around window switch and auto to manual switch trim.
Switch's will fall into center console when pushed on then we have to go fishing.

Thanks vwt3

95ti Alpine White, K&N cone filter, Fullcoilovers by GroundControl Koni adjustable,Eibach springs.
JUST POINT AND SHOOT...http://www.munks.com/
. Also 69 VW t3 fastback 2110 motor,full air ride
.http://www.airkewld.com[/size]
vwt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
aceyx

Try gorilla glue. It's a resin, so it should work here.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. It's a little different to work with, and I suggest using it on something else first to get a feel for it. Also, you might have to sand it down afterward (it expands as it sets).
Old 12-06-2005, 02:44 AM   #3
vwt3

Thanks aceyx I'll look into that ,have seen this at HomeDepot allways wondered how good this was.

vwt3

95ti Alpine White, K&N cone filter, Fullcoilovers by GroundControl Koni adjustable,Eibach springs.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:29 AM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

haven't gotten to use mine yet, but i also heard gorilla glue is what to use (i need to glue one of my plastic attaching points back onto one of the rear interior trim pieces.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:50 AM   #5
1rstbmw!

What is it with our window trim buttons?! Every one of mine has broke through.
1rstbmw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
vwt3

Hey 1rstbmw there is a very small lip on the bottom of the trim on each end that the metal clips press against to hold switch up.I think tapping them to hard for the one touch up & down function has a way of knocking that lip off as in my case. My auto to manual switch is cracked at bottom and spreads open an switch falls in. It sounds like this glue would work cause as a resin you could build up a little lip at bottom of trim to hold switch in place.

Anyway thats what i'm thinking, any and all comments welcome...

vwt3

Old 12-07-2005, 05:23 AM   #7
clex2

vwt3,

Is the part you are trying to glue #12 in this diagram? I have a pair of them lying around. They are the black ones. I swapped them out for chrome ones. Anyway, I can ship you both for $5 if you want. I won't be needing them anytime soon.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:30 AM   #8
96cali

I would NOT use Gorilla Glue or any of the expanding foam glues- just too messy and they take forever to dry. I'm not sure why you say superglue (cyanoacrylate) will not hold on ABS. They do sell a "kicker" catalyst to spray on then the glue sets in 2 seconds. You could improve the hold if you can fit a small "splint" on the backside out of a thin strong mat'l. These glues are brittle compared to a 2 part epoxy BTW but that also takes time to set. ABS should also solvent weld. I know someone who used JB Weld on other interior trim parts and it works.

I am a geek about glue.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #9
vwt3

Hey clex2 ,Ya #12, If they both have the lip still on then at each end on the bottom I'll take them. PM me for info. Thanks 96cali for the info If i get replacement parts I can experment with the old ones.

vwt3

Old 12-08-2005, 12:49 AM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

are you guys actually talking about REPAIRING a broken #12??? replace 'em, they're cheap even from the dealer
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:55 AM   #11
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
are you guys actually talking about REPAIRING a broken #12??? replace 'em, they're cheap even from the dealer
Where's the fun in that?

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:54 PM   #12
vwt3

Hey clex2 , got the parts today they look good like brand new.No more fishing for switch's.

Thanks vwt3

Old 12-12-2005, 11:55 PM   #13
clex2

Your welcome.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #14
DeadpaN

Another thing I'd recommend is JB Weld. Its a 2-part epoxy strong enough for fixing engine blocks. Or this, which is what I used to adhere my felt track liner in my window guide.