318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 953,893 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,654 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-02-2004, 04:42 AM   #1
Drifter

I lot of people have suggested tightening the ebrake cable to get rid of rattling from the TI. I have a rattling that I think may be caused by my ebrake because my BRAKE light on the dash lights up when I lift the ebrake lever before I get any tension from the ebrake.

I want to try to tighten it tommorrow. Can anyone give me a few tips? Do you need to get under the car to do it?

Thanks
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #2
schussey

i am wondering how to do this as well- - i know to go as far as lifting the ebrake boot, then do not know where to go from there
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:03 AM   #3
hotdog19d

All you have to do is adjust the nuts that are on both sides of the handle. The top nut is the locking nut all you have to do is loosen it then tighten the one below that to tighten the brake. Just tighten them both evenly.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5783
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5777SOLD!!!
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
FOR SALE!! $4000 OBO!!!!!!
96 california aqua-marine clears, H&R/Koni sports, Triflo exhaust fogged
hotdog19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
schussey

i will give it a try
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:21 AM   #5
1996 328ti

Vehicles

There is also an adjustement through the rear rotors.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
yeehawbob

To adjust the handbrake you need to carefully pull up the leather gaiter by the rear of the base and pull out of the way it turns until it's inside out. Put the car in 5th gear and slowly release the handbrake. Undo the top locking nut and adjust the handbrake travel by tightening or loosening the lower bolts i.e. tightening makes the travel shorter.

The handbrake is adjusted correctly when it takes between 5 and 10 clicks to be fully on, you can check both rear brakes are equally adjusted by slowly rolling the car forwards and stopping it on the handbrake, if you feel it rocks the car, the side that rises first is the side that is braking more than the other so either loosen it off a bit or tighten up the other side, don't rely on looking at the two threads and adjusting each one until they are equal as this doesn't take into account cable stretch and differing pad wear etc - this can clearly be seen in the picture, which I will attempt to attach, or PM me and will send it to your email. Hope everyone can see the picture.

One they are adjusted equally tighten the top locking bolts and clip the handbrake leather gating back into place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	1Handle.bmp Views:	366 Size:	21.6 KB ID:	15  
137k Hard driven miles.
yeehawbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:08 PM   #7
J!m

Vehicles
Smile

I think 5 clicks is a bit high (but acceptable) and 10 is WAY TOO MANY. You will certainly have a cable rattle if it takes 10 clicks to hold the car.

I typically set it at 3 clicks, and re adjust when it gets to 5+.

Also, as said above, the pads will wear more than the cables will stretch. Before tightening the cables, make sure the shoes are properly adjusted. (just like old drum brakes, jack it up and rotate the wheel, etc.) Little, if any adjustment should be needed at the cable (but some stretch does occur).

A neat trick to adjust the cables is to apply the hand brake, slowly release and losten the adjustment nuts so they do not contact the lever. Set the nuts so they just touch, then count the turns on each side. You may have to do this a couple times, but this is how I do it, and I get very even wear on my parking brake shoes this way.

If you find that the shoes are adjusted properly, and the cable is at the end of it's thread to get three clicks, you most likely need new shoes. Check these before ordering those cables...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:29 AM   #8
dodj

hi,

Sometimes when i put the handbrake on, the car will roll slightly before it holds, not always though!
does this mean it needs to be adjusted??
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:00 AM   #9
J!m

Vehicles

Once the break is on, the car should not move. Adjust the shoes, then the cable, as detailed above.

By the way, the parking brake drums are adjusted in between the wheel mounting lugs. You have to jack the car and remove the wheels.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote