318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 102,509 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 65,539 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 62,768 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #1
osu_ti

Default New 318ti Owner from Midwest

After being in an accident and consequently selling with my beloved 92 camaro, I decided to look for something different. I still wanted a manual trans and rwd so I started looking at bmw's. That's when I found the 318ti.

I started looking for one a couple weeks ago and finally stumbled on to a pair of local ones that I took a look at over the weekend. Both were 96 vintage with ~120k on the clock. One was immaculate inside with a bit of rust where the jack points are on the frame. The other was a bit rough on the inside (crack rearview mirror, dirty, not-so-nice aftermarket cd player, dog hair in the trunk, fo-fiber shift knob, etc.) but had an undercarriage that was rust free and in good shape (I was able to see it on a lift). I opted for the latter and paid $3200 (he was asking 3800).

It was originally a Hawaii car. When it was really low mileage it went to Virginia then later Maryland/DC and finally came to Ohio about a month ago.

I'm fairly new to the bmw scene. I have a bunch of experience working and modifying GM products and engine (classics sbc's to the ecotec stuff).

My plan for the car is for it to be a daily driver and autocross car. It is the base model and definitely needs the sport model springs and sways along with new shocks and a better shifter. I'm planning to put a set of snow tires on the stock rims and buy a set of 16's or 17's with some grippy summer tires. Probably the first major work I will do is replace all of the coolant parts that are prone to break (water pump, 2 plastic hose connections, others?). I'll also do the usual like change all the fluids and give it a good cleaning/waxing/polishing. Once I make a few more posts on here I'll throw up some pics

I still need to do a bunch of research on here and b.f. to decide on what wheels and how wide of tires I want to run.

What do you guys think of the plans? Is there anything you suggest I do before I start driving the car regularly (in 3 weeks)?

Thanks for everyone's input to this site. It was very helpful in my purchase decision. Hopefully I'll be able to provide some input as well.
osu_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu_ti View Post
Probably the first major work I will do is replace all of the coolant parts that are prone to break (water pump, 2 plastic hose connections, others?).
Good plan! While you've got the coolant system open, you may as well replace the thermostat and radiator too. Some people have trouble "burping" the system, so it'll be better for you if you only have to go through that once.

Welcome to the site!

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
tiFreak

Vehicles

welcome, sounds like you've done a fair bit of research already

the stock sport springs are an improvement over the base springs but still not that great, for daily driving I'd suggest H&R sports with Bilstein sports, it's a pretty popular combo for those who don't want to spend over $1k on coilovers
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
osu_ti

I'm leaning towards the stock sport springs for a couple of reasons: cost and being able to run stock class in SCCA. I know I can't be competitive against the mini's in G-Stock, but it's nice to have that option.

Where's the best place to buy all of the cooling parts I'll need to replace?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
wolferj-RIP

Nice to see you've done your research... OE parts can be had from these resellers;

Pelicanparts.com
Azautohouse.com
getbmwparts.com

all are reputable and quick shippers.
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
campaiar

Quote:
I'm leaning towards the stock sport springs...
I have a set of stock Sport Springs and strut assemblies in a box right down the road from you. I'd be happy to help you install them if you'd like. I can probably answer all sorts of TI modification questions you might have.

PM me if your interested. I'm always up for meeting more board members.
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
campaiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
osu_ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by campaiar View Post
I have a set of stock Sport Springs and strut assemblies in a box right down the road from you. I'd be happy to help you install them if you'd like. I can probably answer all sorts of TI modification questions you might have.

PM me if your interested. I'm always up for meeting more board members.
Thank you for the offer. There's a good chance I'll take you up on it. I'm interested to hear all that goes into a 6 cyl swap such as yours.

I'm not moving to Columbus for another 3 weeks, but once I"m there I'll definitely be in touch. I can't send PMs at the moment, but when I can I will.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
campaiar

Quote:
I'm interested to hear all that goes into a 6 cyl swap such as yours.
I had a feeling you might. I'll be here.
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
campaiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
osu_ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by campaiar View Post
I had a feeling you might. I'll be here.
After having 300+ hp in the camaro, I have a feeling 140 will get a little boring. It won't be for a few years, but it's never too early to start planning.

I'm contemplating an st auto-x build at the moment. I think it'll be fun trying to keep up with the hondas. After a few years it'll be time for an engine swap and SM class/track days.

Last edited by osu_ti; 08-26-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
96cali

OSU Ti- I regularly drive from Cincy to Cleveland and could deliver the parts Campaiar has for free as long as you meet me some where close to the highway. Otherwise come on down and maybe I'll install my Hr/Koni setup with you guys.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #11
osu_ti

96cali - I appreciate the offer. We'll see once I get settled in Columbus. I had konis on my camaro and may want another set for the ti.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
osu_ti

After some closer reading of the SCCA Solo II rulebook, there's no longer an STS2 class where all of the miatas run. There's ST and STS. Our cars would be in ST with civics and such while all of the 2 seater sports cars (miatas) are in STS.