318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,085 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,014 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,286 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #31
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

KICK ASS! How do you like the 3.15 diff?
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #32
RCV7

Vehicles
Default 3.15 dif

The 3.15 dif is perfect for this setup. Plenty of kick on both upper and lower ends of the power-band without revving too high at speed. This car is very fast! Very happy! Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
KICK ASS! How do you like the 3.15 diff?
RCV7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #33
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCV7 View Post
The 3.15 dif is perfect for this setup. Plenty of kick on both upper and lower ends of the power-band without revving too high at speed. This car is very fast! Very happy! Thanks again
Thank you for sharing your awesome build and congrats on a job well done!
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
M-technik-3

Vehicles

Really like the Euro 3 spoke wheel, I have one of those and a M tech II E36 wheel with no airbag. I have been kicking about swapping out my wheel and installing one of the others. Did you get an airbag light or have any issues to resolve?
M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #35
J!m

Vehicles

Hello Roy!

Sorry for not getting in here sooner- your e-mail to me went right into my junk folder for some reason...

Anyway, I'm glad you got the rear width sorted out.

Also interesting that other than the M Roadster, the rear sub frame is wider on ALL Z3 cars (and I have to then assume all M Coupes as well).

I will make this clarification in the manual to prevent future problems for swappers. I always suggested the M Roadster/Coupe rear sub frame for the obvious reasons; now I can reinforce that argument with this less obvious reason.

The E30 half shaft (and wheel speed sensor shimming) info are already in there.

Glad it worked out in the end and you are happy with the result. These are really fun cars when built up with the right amount of power.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #36
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post

Also interesting that other than the M Roadster, the rear sub frame is wider on ALL Z3 cars (and I have to then assume all M Coupes as well).
Not exactly... The sub frames on all the ti's, Z3, and MZ3's are exactly the same width. The MZ3 sub frame has a different part number because it has the brackets for the dual exhaust hangars.

The sub frames (and trailing arms) on all MZ3 models are identical, coupe and roadster makes no difference.

The difference in the rear track width comes from the trailing arms... not the sub frame. The best way to demonstrate this visually is to look at the width of the 'hat' portion of the rear rotor. On the M Coupe/Roadster is is not wide at all... think 1-1.5 inches... on the rest of the Z3 line the width is more like the rear rotors on a ti... 4 inches or so. This is why the M Coupe/Roadster rear wheels stick out too far on anything else but an M Coupe/Roadster.

Because of the M Coupe/Roadsters thin rotor 'hats' (and resulting narrower width between left and right) the MZ3 trailing arms are perfect for fit on a ti without having to use a wheel with a giant offset like the M Coupe M Roadster does.

Hope this helps.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #37
J!m

Vehicles

OK That makes is more clear.

The sub frame IS different in that besides the exhaust hangars, it also is significantly heavier (duty and physical weight); however they don't often fail, so you could stick with the ti part (although weight savings over the rear wheels is NOT an issue with the ti)...

As I recall, the M Trailing arms were also significantly heavier (duty/weight) than the ti ones as well. These only fail when they meet inanimate objects at elevated velocity.

I stand by my original suggestion: Use the M roadster or M coupe rear sub frame/diff/trailing arms/brake assembly complete when doing a swap.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #38
J!m

Vehicles

This brings up another thought:

If the sub frames are in fact the same, then the M Roadster adjustment bushings could be used in the ti right?

I THINK the size of the bushings is also larger on the M part versus the ti part.

Please correct me if I'm wrong; if I am, then all ti owners can use these M correction bushings (I sort-of think these only fit the M part) which would be a very cool discovery!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #39
BimmerBum

Vehicles

I think some of the confusion here is coming from the fact that the sub frame and the trailing arms are different parts. At some points on this thread the sub frame is discussed as the trailing arms are part of it. They are not.

If you want to run a MZ3 spec rear end on your ti you just need the MZ3 trailing arms. Your ti sub frame works fine.

The M trailing arms are heavier. I do not believe there is any difference in the sub frame between the ti and the MZ3 other than the exhaust hangars.

Any bushings that will fit the MZ3 rear sub frame, trailing arms, or differential will also fit the ti.

Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 01-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #40
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBum View Post
I do not believe there is any difference in the sub frame between the ti and the MZ3 other than the exhaust hangars.
My memory suggests that the M Roadster sub frame is physically larger (in girth) and also in weight. Bolt hole locations are of course in the same locations and it has the hangars on it, but it is more heavy than just those exhaust tabs would suggest (by a long shot). I scrapped my ti sub frame (no one wanted it) so I cannot do a side-by side (well, over-under) now. Since I had both complete assemblies out of the car, I seem to recall being impressed by the size of the M part.

Quote:
Any bushings that will fit the MZ3 rear sub frame, trailing arms, or differential will also fit the ti.
This is great news! I wonder why no one has ever used them in a ti before (well, not that I'm aware of anyway). I always thought there was a reason for this.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #41
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
My memory suggests that the M Roadster sub frame is physically larger (in girth) and also in weight. Bolt hole locations are of course in the same locations and it has the hangars on it, but it is more heavy than just those exhaust tabs would suggest (by a long shot). I scrapped my ti sub frame (no one wanted it) so I cannot do a side-by side (well, over-under) now. Since I had both complete assemblies out of the car, I seem to recall being impressed by the size of the M part.
Now I have to find one to be sure...

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #42
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
I think some of the confusion here is coming from the fact that the sub frame and the trailing arms are different parts. At some points on this thread the sub frame is discussed as the trailing arms are part of it. They are not.

If you want to run a MZ3 spec rear end on your ti you just need the MZ3 trailing arms. Your ti sub frame works fine.

The M trailing arms are heavier. I do not believe there is any difference in the sub frame between the ti and the MZ3 other than the exhaust hangars.

Yeah, I wish I had more pictures!

When I installed the new sub frame, I did take pictures but the film was damaged (it was quite a while ago- remember film?)

Anyway, another piece of evidence is that the parking brake cables are just a bit too short to use on the roadster sub frame when installed in the ti. All the cable clips transfer right over (all holes are drilled in the same place) but if you clip the cable in, it pops out of the clips. I had to use ty-wraps to secure it in my car. This could be driven by the brake arrangement being slightly different, but it is not very different at all really, so I think it is the slight increase in girth of the sub frame and trailing arms.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #43
spidertri

Vehicles

Quote:
This is great news! I wonder why no one has ever used them in a ti before (well, not that I'm aware of anyway). I always thought there was a reason for this.
I thought this was common knowledge? I put a M diff bushing in a few years ago. The trailing arm and subframe bushings are the exact same part numbers for the 318ti and the Z3M.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #44
J!m

Vehicles

Great! Then the offset bushings CAN be used in a stock ti set up.

Glad we have this confirmed!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #45
RCV7

Vehicles

Nope, no airbag light. Bolted right up with no problems. Airbags are good

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Really like the Euro 3 spoke wheel, I have one of those and a M tech II E36 wheel with no airbag. I have been kicking about swapping out my wheel and installing one of the others. Did you get an airbag light or have any issues to resolve?
RCV7 is offline   Reply With Quote