318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,239 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,197 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,464 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-31-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
Rudenice

Location: Washington,DC - Top of the Hill - East of the Anacostia River
Default Fuel Leaking from or near Tank area - crank no start

Hello All TN members, 2017 will hopefully be the year that I get my TI back on the road after nearly 4 years of storage. The car cranks but won't start - I bought a cheap fuel pump on ebay and installed it - the car would start briefly and stop - even when I hit the gas pedal. I was delighted just to hear it start. Now, 6 months later, Im trying to get it running now for spring - so that I can change the fluids, wires, tires, etc before June. So, my mechanic looked at it the other day and said that he noticed a FUEL LEAK near the Tank area - could that prevent it from starting - it will start with starter fluid (which i know is not good to use in excess) but fuel is not getting to the engine; Question: I read that a cheap fuel pump could lack the necessary psi to start the engine. I'm thinking that I should 1st fix fuel leak, check the fuel filter to see if fuel is coming thur, b/c I have not had the filter chg since I purchased car in 2005. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I look forward to getting it POPPIN on these WASH, DC streets - Posting a pic in front of TRUMP HOTEL on Penn Ave. Thks in Advance
Rudenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
bazar01

1. You need to get that fuel leak taken cared first. You could lose the car in a fuel leak fire. Remove the rear seat and check the fuel hoses coming out of the fuel pump discharge fitting. If you turn the key in the ON position only, the fuel pump should run a few seconds and prime the fuel lines. If the fuel lines leak, you can see it.

2. Then check the fuel pressure next. Rent a fuel pressure tester. There is a Schrader valve in the fuel rail in the engine compartment where you can hook up a tester and check the fuel pressure.
2018 Suburban Z71
bazar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:06 AM   #3
andakn

If you didn't change the filter when you changed the pump you may have burned out another pump. I've seen them so clogged especially from sitting that you cant blow air through them with the air hose.
andakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Rudenice

Hey folks, heading out to talk to mechanic today after work. My Spanish is limited and his English is limited - esp. over the phone conversations. I spoke to him today and he is sure that it is the tank leaking and not hoses. So, I need to get tires pumped up so that he can move it to his lift to chk filter. BTW - I did the 5 step error procedure and only got a 1215 MAF error. I disconnected it and attempted to start it with no success. I'll follow up later.......Thks TN folks for insite. P.S. I guess I can by pass filter temporarily just to get her started.....?????
Old 02-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Dr Shuffles

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
There is a Schrader valve in the fuel rail in the engine compartment where you can hook up a tester and check the fuel pressure.
FYI, the 1995 model doesn't have this valve. It's only present on 96 and later.
Dr Shuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
Rudenice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Shuffles View Post
FYI, the 1995 model doesn't have this valve. It's only present on 96 and later.
That's good to know. I spoke to my mechanic yesterday and he said that there is no power to the pump; and that he would do additional test today. The leak at the tank will be resolved upon getting the car to start up. He's a good mechanic, but he is not familiar with the 318ti model. Once again, the fuel pump is new - ebay. and was getting power upon installation 6 months back. The car has been sitting for nearly 4 years. Any suggestions on diagnosing the "NO Power to Fuel Pump" -

Skills Trump Luck every time ....
Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
andakn

Swap the main relay with one of the high beam relays. Also pump only gets power if the engine is cranking and it sees the crank sensor signal. So if their is no spark their will likely be no power sent to the fuel pump
Old 02-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #8
Rudenice

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakn View Post
Swap the main relay with one of the high beam relays. Also pump only gets power if the engine is cranking and it sees the crank sensor signal. So if their is no spark their will likely be no power sent to the fuel pump
95 BMW 318ti, 115,000, I spoke to my mechanic today - he said that he chkd the relays last week, I asked if he knew the relays are located next to fuse box, he had no clue, so I'm taking off tomorrow, to show him the fuel and main relay; and ill re chk the fuel pump to ensure that it's working. DC will be 64 degrees or above tomor, get day to work. My question: which relays are the fuel pump, main relay and high beam relays. I have the book, and I thk I know where the fuel pump relay is @, but not sure what relays to use as a replacement or how to test it (if possible). My goals is to have it running by the end of month; so that I can chg oil, trans, brake, diffential, power steering, radiator fluides, tires, brake pads, sturts, air filter b4 I hit these DC streets.....WHICH RELAY IS THE FUEL PUMP, MAIN AND HIGH BEAM RELAYS...I can interchg. high beam with fuel and main relay???????? Thks to All TI folks, u guys are great peeps......Any help would be appreciated sincerely.....I'll cu guys at the next show - Skills always TRUMP Luck.... O,yeah, is there way to chk the crank sensor to determine if it's any good and where is it located....OK all, take care and keep bugging.... S.E. Wash, DC - East of the River

Last edited by Rudenice; 02-06-2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: additional questions
Old 02-07-2017, 02:12 AM   #9
andakn

Good rule is if they are the same color and same number of pins they will swap. Bmw relays are color coded to what they do. I think the middle one in the 3 pack is the main. And most likely to go out because has the biggest current going through it.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
Rudenice

Yesterday was nearly 70 degrees in Wash, DC - I took off work to look at the car...Well, I pulled the newly replaced fuel pump to determine that it had a hair line crack on the plastic portion where the wires connect which I suspect is causing the fuel leak that my mechanic said was coming from the tank. Once I removed the cover to the pump, I could see fuel sitting in the cap area - which was not present when I chg'd initially. Additionally, I noticed that the pump is not working when keys is turned to prime position - even after swapping fuel relay with matching relay....I did't chk the system relay - b/c I was sure which one it was......Delighted it's not my tank leaking fuel...My mechanic that he would chk the pump with a battery to see if it is bad and then chk the wires to ensure that there's no break....since the car was sitting for nearly 4 years....I may have blown the cheap pump by not chging the filter (as someone on this site suggested) Any help would be great....

Keep you folks posted.....Thks
Old 03-06-2017, 12:44 AM   #11
Rudenice

Default Crazy Ray's

My mechanic, Raul, told me that he saw a TI @ Crazy Ray's junk yard near Baltimore Md, Wow - I'm down for it. So, I was able to pull a nice coil pack with wires and shield 30.00 and a free free fuel pump - I will get a new fuel filter - give her a crank. Is there a place where I can buy new rear control arms w/bushings and axle support. Wish me success - I just her to crank up after 4 yrs in storage....Thks all Southside DC - East of the River