318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 995,287 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
JakeNotCliff

Question Now I'm Confused

I'm looking at a 1995 sport model Ti, and while it has sport seats and sport suspension, the M style bumper isn't there- just a regular color matched one, like on most actives. I was under the impression that all sport models came with the M style bumper- is that true? This car also has a rebuilt title w/ replaced motor, so maybe they had the dealer put a different kind of bumper back on. Either way, I'm a little disappointed, because the car seems almost perfect as I can get for the money otherwise.
JakeNotCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

In '95 only 300 318ti's came with the Mtechnik bodykits. Those were called ClubSports and they came with a few extra goodies. From 96 on, all sports came with M bumpers, moldings and suspension. The '95 you're looking at is probably a sport.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
JakeNotCliff

Ah, they did part of the same thing in '96 that they did in '99 then. How unfortunate for me. The next question is- do I wait for something with the M-tech body to come along, or go with this one and wait til I can buy a new bumper?

And also, I have a myth to bust: is there a difference between an "M-tech" piece and an "M-technik" piece (read there was in some obscure post), and people just abbreviate carelessly? Or are they just the same thing?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
BakeR318

Quite sure they're the same thing bro..M-Technik is a division of BMW that started back in somethin like 1972, and as far as I know they've remained the same. Don't be confused by "M-Technik style" pieces though. Some are good deals, others are...not.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
JakeNotCliff

Alright, that's what I thought. I never realized they might be different until someone else said it.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
thesk8nmidget

if you are set on the sport body pieces then wait because you will not find a rear bumper very easily at all.
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
if you are set on the sport body pieces then wait because you will not find a rear bumper very easily at all.
they are easy to find if you're willing to bend over to be @ss raped by the price Bavauto sells em, but they are about $400
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreek View Post
they are easy to find if you're willing to bend over to be @ss raped by the price Bavauto sells em, but they are about $400
Also be prepared to spend close to that much to have it professionally painted. And you'll still probably want the sport sideskirts, front bumper, swaybars & suspension, side moldings and sport interior.

Personally, if I were you I'd just wait until you find exactly what you're looking for instead of trying to convert a base into a sport. It's a lot of unnecessary work and in the long run you'll end up spending much more than you would if you bought a sport to begin with. They're out there, you just gotta be patient and it helps if you're willing to travel.

BTW, there's absolutely nothing wrong with base models. I've seen plenty of tastefully modded base and active models that look better than most sports. I honestly like the looks of tastefully modded bases better. They're more unique.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
thesk8nmidget

hmm you saying you wanna trade my active for one of your sport/clubsports jess?

Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
JakeNotCliff

Yeah, I'd rather not spend as much getting it to look like a sport as I'll pay for the car itself. I'm just slowly running out of patience, it seems there's always one little snag on every car I really like. Ah well, in the meantime I'll see if I'm desperate enough to pick up a 328 or M3. I have a power fetish and they're nice cars, I just wish they looked better. Tis beat em all in the looks department
Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
I've seen plenty of tastefully modded base and active models that look better than most sports. I honestly like the looks of tastefully modded bases better. They're more unique.
ACTIVE FTW!! i dont think anyone random person can see the difference between mine and a sport...plus i got comfy leather seats
Old 01-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #12
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_KILL3R View Post
i dont think anyone random person can see the difference between mine and a sport...
Besides the '95 nosepanel, sideskirts, moldings and non-M rear bumper, your car looks like a sport I guess The M front bumper and lip are nice additions, but personally I like the looks of PettitWC, wasabinuki and marcus2116's non-M Ti's.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:06 AM   #13
JakeNotCliff

Well I'm after a sport for a couple of reasons-

1) They are a little bit lower than actives and bases. Not only is lower good in my opinion (all bmws should be lowered if you ask me- makes them look faster/ accents the nose), but actives, and bases especially look like they have a 4x4 stance cause the gray skirts break up and lengthen the visual distance between the bottom or the car and the road.
2) I like the vertical bumpers, I think bumpers that curve or tilt under look too common, plus I want to say my ti is obviously related to the Ms cause of the lip
3) I don't like leather upholstery that much. It may look a little nicer in some cases, but it get's ****ing freezing in MN and it's just no fun to sit on when you're looking for shelter from the elements. Same thing in the summer- it get's hotter and doesn't breathe well- on long drives your legs sweat endlessly.

There are a couple of things I really do like about the actives though, but they're things I can live without. I'm finding out more and more that people cross-picked from all the packages, and hopefully I can get most of what I'm looking for in a sport. Sports offer what I value the most, and you can get active features in a sport anyway.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
pdxmotorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNotCliff View Post
Well I'm after a sport for a couple of reasons-

1) They are a little bit lower than actives and bases. Not only is lower good in my opinion (all bmws should be lowered if you ask me- makes them look faster/ accents the nose), but actives, and bases especially look like they have a 4x4 stance cause the gray skirts break up and lengthen the visual distance between the bottom or the car and the road.
2) I like the vertical bumpers, I think bumpers that curve or tilt under look too common, plus I want to say my ti is obviously related to the Ms cause of the lip
3) I don't like leather upholstery that much. It may look a little nicer in some cases, but it get's ****ing freezing in MN and it's just no fun to sit on when you're looking for shelter from the elements. Same thing in the summer- it get's hotter and doesn't breathe well- on long drives your legs sweat endlessly.

There are a couple of things I really do like about the actives though, but they're things I can live without. I'm finding out more and more that people cross-picked from all the packages, and hopefully I can get most of what I'm looking for in a sport. Sports offer what I value the most, and you can get active features in a sport anyway.
Wow. I got leather for exactly opposite of the reasons you detailed,
Summer - leather cools off quicker when you sit on it...
Winter - Gets warm way faster than my old vynil seats.
Doesn't get sweaty in the sumer...

Grin
just my .02 cents.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:07 PM   #15
JakeNotCliff

I donno, I seem to have bad luck with leather, but I'd definitely avoid vinyl. Cloth is my thing.