318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 100,124 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 63,036 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 60,270 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
jtbeemer

Default This is what happens when a deer hits ya

Coming home from a friends house last night a deer ran into my car. Luckily the road was bending left so there is nothing but body damage. But it still ruined my car. Any guesses on the estimate?

I now understand why people hunt.
jtbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbeemer View Post
I now understand why people hunt.
F that, this is America, sue the deer seriously though, looks like you'll need a new fender, new mirror, possibly a new door, and you'll have to have someone fix the quarter panel, no clue what that would cost since the shop I work at doesn't do body work, good luck fixing it
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Will'sBimmer

damn man. Thats bad. I would be pissed off right now. Probaley grabbing a bottle of whiskey to ease my sorrows. I would think that a new front right fender would be needed. As for the other dents......they look pretty bad. Well after you get everything fixed maybe you need to invest in those whistles that you put on your front bumper that make a noise to run away deer so they don't run into you. Looks like you hit this one pretty good and he rolled down the side of your car. Was it dead? I would be out hunting that damn thing right now. Look for the one with the limp in his leg and some cuts along his side. Once spotted please shoot on site.

Edit:

You still have deer hair stuck in your handle. LOL.

O and I am serious about hunting that deer down.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
jtbeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will'sBimmer View Post
damn man. Thats bad. I would be pissed off right now. Probaley grabbing a bottle of whiskey to ease my sorrows. I would think that a new front right fender would be needed. As for the other dents......they look pretty bad. Well after you get everything fixed maybe you need to invest in those whistles that you put on your front bumper that make a noise to run away deer so they don't run into you. Looks like you hit this one pretty good and he rolled down the side of your car. Was it dead? I would be out hunting that damn thing right now. Look for the one with the limp in his leg and some cuts along his side. Once spotted please shoot on site.

Edit:

You still have deer hair stuck in your handle. LOL.

O and I am serious about hunting that deer down.
Trust me, If I had a firearm I'd be considering it. I've had this car for 4 months and look at it!!!

I don't know if it died, I kept going after it hit me. I was so ****ing pissed I guess I wasn't thinking straight.

----look at the filename of that hair picture----
Old 07-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Ji Money

Man, I see deer all the time around here. I barely dodged one. What a mess you got there. I hope you suffered no frame damage.
Ji Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
thesk8nmidget

damn things are nuts! its always weird when they are the ones doing the hitting!
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #7
jtbeemer

This is the second time I've been hit by a deer. Maybe its because I drive fast most of the time. The last time was in a Toyota truck and all that happened was it hit right behind the passengers side rear tire. I wish I understood animal behavior, why the hell it thought it was a good idea to run toward the large noisy fast moving object rather than away from it.

Progressive said I'd get a call tomorrow from the adjuster. I was sweating my deductible, its $250 and I get rental car coverage too. So this isn't the end of the world, I just hope the place I want to take it to works with Progressive.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
aceyx

Hey Jim, I was wondering what happened to you.

Sucks to hear/see about the car; unfortunately I'm eyeballing at least 3.5k in repairs.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
jtbeemer

I got the call back from Progressive, after describing what was wrong he said "sounds like it could be totaled." I think the mileage is the only thing working against me, the condition of the car is amazingly good.

I need to find a way to fight them if they're going to total it.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
thesk8nmidget

if they total it you may be able to buy it back and get if fixed and still come out ahead.

but hopefully they wont total it!
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
elchicano

wow man that sucks. We almost hit a deer on the way to mexico. But we were in my dads 3500 chevy dually so it wouldn't have done nothing to it. Well hope everything works out.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
Ji Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbeemer View Post
This is the second time I've been hit by a deer. Maybe its because I drive fast most of the time. The last time was in a Toyota truck and all that happened was it hit right behind the passengers side rear tire. I wish I understood animal behavior, why the hell it thought it was a good idea to run toward the large noisy fast moving object rather than away from it.

Progressive said I'd get a call tomorrow from the adjuster. I was sweating my deductible, its $250 and I get rental car coverage too. So this isn't the end of the world, I just hope the place I want to take it to works with Progressive.
Yo I hear that w/ their logic! In my situation, I saw the deer, it saw me. It didn't go any further into the road on it's instinct so I exhaled a sigh of relief. I swear, the deer saw me putting down my guard and thought it was safe to cross too! I gave it a nasty bruise and it ran off. I cracked my bumper but that's about it. Thank God.

Anyway, hitting a deer one time is too many already. Maybe you can buy the car back and still come on top like Josh (thesk8tnmidget) said? It would be a damn shame to total that car if it only has body panel damage.
Ji Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
jtbeemer

I don't think that's going to happen as I have a loan for the car! I'm going to be sick if I lose this car. Quick searches of cars.com and autotrader -- there are no 318ti's within 100 miles of where I live. If they do total it, I'm taking the spoiler and putting the amber lamps back in.

Dammit, I'm getting more and more pissed off the more I think about it. Not that this is the reason I drive it, but I had 3 different people telling me "nice car" LAST week! Its the only really cool (for me anyway) car I've ever owned.

Here's my list
81 Buick LeSabre 2dr
97 Honda Civic HX
02 Honda CR-V
93 Toyota "truck"
94 Honda Accord EX

notice a pattern there...? reliable, relatively dependable, BORING transportation
Old 07-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
StealthBimmer

Hoping the best for you and the ti. You do have a nice looking silver 318ti. The whole side needs fixing and it might be close to total depending on mileage and year of your ti. In the future you might want to install those silent air horn that alerts animals. Just hide them behind the grill or something so it won't look weird on top of the bumper. My friend lives in Vermont and has them on every car in the family. Mooses and deers are a common thing up there. Good luck with everything. Keep us posted on this.

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
StealthBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
jtbeemer

Its a 98 and I have 155k miles. NADA value was 6700 4 months ago.

A little checking on how Progressive figures a total -- value of the car - cost to repair + value @ auction = total or no total. I now have a very bad feeling about this considering the condition. I don't think there is any mechanical or structural damage, just sheet metal, the mirror, and possibly the gas fill. New door w/ mirror + front and rear QP is how much? Anyone know? Even just total ball park numbers.