318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Yesterday 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,307,404 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 404,980 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Actin

Default Turbo Injection?

What exactly does turbo injection mean? Are exhaust fumes being channelled back into the cylinders to improve performance?
Actin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

where did you see "turbo injection"? not sure what you're referring to.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Etienne

A "turbo" uses a turbine that is powered by the exhaust to force more air (read oxygen) into the engine, But this is new air from outside, not the exhaust itself.

A supercharger is powered by the crankshaft (I believe).

Speaking of this, it seems that there is a lot of talk on these forums about DASC and other s/c's but not a lot with turbos... aren't turbos generally more efficient since they don't take energy from the crankshaft? I guess because s/c's don't suffer from lag the way turbo's do?

image from: http://www.lasershows.ro/site/ro/graficalaser.htm
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:18 AM   #4
SparksTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne
A "turbo" uses a turbine that is powered by the exhaust to force more air (read oxygen) into the engine, But this is new air from outside, not the exhaust itself.

A supercharger is powered by the crankshaft (I believe).

Speaking of this, it seems that there is a lot of talk on these forums about DASC and other s/c's but not a lot with turbos... aren't turbos generally more efficient since they don't take energy from the crankshaft? I guess because s/c's don't suffer from lag the way turbo's do?
I believe more people go with the S/C because of the engine configuration. With the current turbo kits out there the turbo goes under the car. The space is pretty tight as you work with the exhaust header and turbo. I have the turbo kit on my '95.
SparksTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:55 AM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i was thinking he thought "ti" meant turbo injection ... that's why i asked the question i did
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
Actin

So ti doesn't stand for turbo injection then?
Actin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
mss318ti

Hey Guys,

Yes turbos are more efficient than superchargers in a number of respects, like you mentioned they do not require power from the engine to run them they use the wasted gas off of the engine, also they are more volumetrically efficient than superchargers and if sized correctly lag can be reduced, but not eliminated (new technology dealing with variable vane geometry is coming about that reduces turbo lag so that its almost gone, but these cost a little too much for the aftermarket). But when it comes to smaller engines like the M44 and M42 a positive displacement supercharger like the Opcon Autorotor Twin Screw unit we are using or the Eaton Roots units the DASC and MASC systems use you get the ability to one eliminate lag and two to create more power at low rpms where these engines are really lacking this is due to the positive displacement of these types of superchargers. But these also have their own problems like you said, one being driven by the engine takes power with the roots drawing more due to its inefficient design (compared to the twin screw or the centrifugal type superchargers). Finally with a turbo system you usually have to do a lot of pipe routing to the air to air intercooler or to the intake manifold which on a car that didnt come with that space available in the first place things can get a little cramped and you can get into pressure losses where as with the supercharger you can literally replace the intake manifold and be done with it (over simplified). I can go on and on with both because they both have benefits and I love talking about this but I will finish with this turbos for racing and superchargers for everyday, you want to know my reasoning just ask, it will give me a reason to talk more haha. Look forward to your replies!

Greg Scrivner
SEAM
OEM & Performance BMW Parts
mss318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
Etienne

If you write it I'll read it. Nothing like a free education . I did a little perusing on wikipedia on turbos, and I can see what you mean about turbos requiring more "adaptation" to the car. They use engine oil too? Some really interesting science there though.

We should have a thread on clever things that "ti" could stand for, or what people thought it stood for before they bought one. In Haiti (where I grew up -- my parents did relief/missions work there) the local language is french-creole and "ti" means little (a shortened version of the french "petit"). I knew that couldn't be what it meant, but it always seemed fitting to me.

image from: http://www.lasershows.ro/site/ro/graficalaser.htm
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
andyman7931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne
We should have a thread on clever things that "ti" could stand for, or what people thought it stood for before they bought one. In Haiti (where I grew up -- my parents did relief/missions work there) the local language is french-creole and "ti" means little (a shortened version of the french "petit"). I knew that couldn't be what it meant, but it always seemed fitting to me.
I like Trunk Impared the best. That's what I tell my friends.
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
davep-uk

Ti = Touring International

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
REDIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparksTi
I have the turbo kit on my '95.
If you don't mind me asking, is that the mosselman or custom?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:00 AM   #12
SparksTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDIS
If you don't mind me asking, is that the mosselman or custom?
I have the mosselman turbo kit, installed it myself.
SparksTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:42 AM   #13
jonchino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss318ti
, you want to know my reasoning just ask, it will give me a reason to talk more haha. Look forward to your replies!

Greg Scrivner
SEAM
OEM & Performance BMW Parts

Man i would love to hear it! I think of doing a major rebuild job on my ti.....
jonchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:43 AM   #14
jonchino

oh yeah if a LS1 V8 can fit... anything can..
jonchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:02 AM   #15
SillyRichard

you put a Ls1 V8 on a ti ??
SillyRichard is offline   Reply With Quote