318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Differentials

Notices

Differentials Limit Slip, gear ratio discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,002,822 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
yoda

Vehicles
Default Fault code after swap HELP! ASAP...

Hey guys after I swapped the diff out I got a fault code, I never got to read it but now I have to smog the car and it gave me a code of 090500 or 90500 (speed sensor). I have replaced the sensor with a new one and it still comes up (CEL), the guy reset it yesterday and it came back on 5 miles down the road... I need to pass this smog tomorrow, what can I do to solve this problem other than swapping back the old diff???...

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
spidertri

Vehicles

Do you have an E30 speed sensor or a ti sensor? I believe you need the E30 sensor if you use an E30 diff.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Do you have an E30 speed sensor or a ti sensor? I believe you need the E30 sensor if you use an E30 diff.
it's an e30 diff but the plug on the sensor is different, so I had to use the Ti's... I even bought a z3 sensor and nothing... the thing is that it does read speed and the difference from nav gps speed to speedo is 1-2 mph, so it is actually reading correctly!...

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
wolferj-RIP

Luis;

I did the same swap, and used the Ti sensor, as the wiring was not correct to use the e30 sensor. I did not get any CEL, but being OBD1, I suspect it isn't an issue...

Sorry, I don't have any other answers for ya...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #5
spidertri

Vehicles

Hmm, I was just going off of what Jesse said in the Diff compatibility thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76
The setup I'm running and I highly recommend is an e24 3.46 LSD with an e30 cover, e30 halfshafts, e30 output flanges and an e30 speed sensor...
...And the e30 speed sensor is plug and play with the 318ti connector(at least mine was), there's different styles of connectors, you need the one that is round on one side and square on the other and it needs to be the same length as the one that originally came out of the diff that you're going to be using.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 AM   #6
wolferj-RIP

My diff came off a 87 325is, it's a 2.93 ratio. The speed sensor from the donor was similar sized, but the connections were totally different.
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 AM   #7
Marv17

When i did my swap i put in the E30 or E24 speed sensor in it. I forgot which car the diff came out of, its a 3.25 LSD medium case. I spliced the speed sensor into the wiring and had no issues. Didn't try using the ti's speed sensor since i always read you had to use what the diff came out of.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

Check the physical lengths of the two sensors. They should be the same.

It may 'work' (make the speedo show a speed) but the DME is not satisfied.

In the M Roadster diff, the M roadster sensor works flawlessly, and has the same connection on it.

If you can get one of those (and it happens to fit the E30 cover) you should be set. If it doesn't fit (due to length or mounting) you may want to consider changing the rear cover to the M Roadster cover and then use the M Roadster sensor.

Caveat: If the sheet metal ring the sensor 'reads' is different between the stock E30 and the MZ3 you may STILL have problems...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #9
yoda

Vehicles

Well...
Swapped the diff, got it smogged, and swapped back again!!!... My arms are hurting like a B...tch!... fun Stuff!

I think I might try the Z3 cover, right now it has the original e30 cover with a z3 sensor... maybe I just have to get the Mroadster cover+sensor... later project though, right now I have an AC compressor to change this weekend, any tips???...

Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Marv17

hmm, i think when i did my M coupe diff install i still used the E30/E28 speed sensor.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote